Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’m holding out for us being keen on Rafa and getting the deal done. 

If that wasn’t the case. smith becomes our manager days ago - he’s a fool without any options, what is there to negotiate. If we get him, we go down. It’s a cheap option.

If Top learnt anything from his father (which is doubtful), he gets rafa

This is what I am hoping for. You presume Smith and Shaky being out of work have already said yes so the fact it’s tbc hopefully means they are negotiating.

that said my gut is we go with Smith

7 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Surely we trust Romano over ornstein- am I missing something?? An hour ago Romano says Rafa- how the actual **** have we ended up with dean smith - what is going on here 

Ornstein’s sources are usually spot on 

2 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Why wouldn’t we get rafa on long term. When we get relegated he would be ideal in the championship 

Cost and his demands for some control higher up - the fall out from rodgers affecting this 

they don’t want to jump into the fire having shelled out to escape that position 

• Like 1

Smith clearly chosen because he can come in on a contract until the end of the season. Rafa would want a longer contract. 

It's not a glamorous option at all, but at least suggests that the board recognise the importance of getting the summer rebuild right.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, nathan. said:

Dean Smith was a very good manager/coach at Walsall and Brentford. But he lost his way, like others before him, at Villa. He was very poor at Norwich.

I would like to see him rediscover his mojo at Leicester but I don't think I'd want him looking for it at my club.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Cost and his demands for some control higher up - the fall out from rodgers affecting this 

they don’t want to jump into the fire having shelled out to escape that position 

We need the likes of Rafa to get control over the football side / you don’t want to leave Rudders in any control

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Seems like we have somehow got ourselves into a position where we are having to choose between  the managerial equivalents of Dennis Nielsen, Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman and Fred West and having to pick the most attractive option 

Fred West til the end of the season, then see who is available..

I can't believe I'm saying this, but at this point I'd take Smith at interim. 

We need something to change to try and stay up. Worst case scenario we go down, which we are definitely heading for atm anyway. Sandler and stowell are clearly not up to the job and beggars can't be choosers.

Whatever happens, we regroup and rebuild in the summer. 

Im not the biggest fan of Rafa, but get the pull for him. Big contract and big demands are likely to be an issue though. We don't need any one person taking control of everything, we've seen it doesn't work.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Except when it does. It's a gamble though, right enough.

It's not a long term strategy as if you lose that one person, it if they turn shit, you are stuck with a club with no identity and no idea how to run itself. A bit like how we are now post Rodgers except we had tried to start to wield some control back before he left

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Equally, Benitez may want a big financial commitment both personally and in our transfer kitty in the event of going down. Maybe it's just not viable to make that sort of commitment and the board have said to each other, 'look, this pair are just as likely as him to actually keep us up, have similar pedigree in the league below, and aren't actually demanding the financial commitment'.

6 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Smith on a 8 game deal or Benitez on a 3 year deal on Rodgers money, I'm picking Smith everyday of the week.

Well when we end up in the Championship and probably scratching for a manger preseason who has no clue about the squad and then likely in another relegation fight you may change your mind

we now have a chance to get someone who can help us rebuild instantly - I would give Rafa whatever he wants it - it took us years to comeback last time and this is the end of a fabulous era 

no time to gamble spend and get it right!

4 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

Right, but you're looking back with the benefit of hindsight. I think it's wrong to say that people who didn't want to sack Rodgers couldn't understand how bad we've been, a lot of people expected an improvement and didn't want us to be the kind of club who sack a previously successful manager at the first bad run of form. Over time that argument held less and less weight which is why you saw bigger portions of the fanbase a) accept we weren't going to get back to the high notes of Rodgers tenure, and b) accept that we needed to sack him. I'd also say hindsight has proved the Rodgers out crowd to be right from early on, but I don't recall a single argument that was made that was pulling together graphs like this and showing the decline with analysis - the reasons people wanted him gone were because 'I just don't like him and nothing will change that' and 'he's got chapped lips and claps', so let's not pretend that the Rodgers in crowd were all burying their heads in the sand whilst everyone else was sitting on the sort of analysis we are showing here.

For me the right time to sack him would have either been around September after the Brighton loss or after Blackburn dumped us out the cup. With Brighton I think there was the genuine mitigant against his name that he hadn't been backed in the summer. After the Blackburn game that excuse has gone and it was clear there was no way back, it was also early enough that we wouldn't be in the mess we are right now. Like I say, I know hindsight isn't kind to this view, but I stand by the fact that had we sacked him 18 months ago it would have been premature.

....so you wanted stats and in depth presentations to show what many had been saying for a very very long time, that he should go!!!

You may not have had the foresight that Rodgers was not up to the job, that is on you, you are entitled to your opinion but let's not say the Rodgers out fans call for his resignation is all based on hindsight.

Supporters were sitting around believing that he would turn it around, there are some who probably still believe that to be true now. It was obvious he lacked the intelligence but had the media savvy  to control the narrative and no doubt he has walked away with his reputation intact.

To have failed twice to secure Champions league from the positions we were,  highlighted someone who could not deal with pressure. The FA cup run being played out in empty arenas took away a lot if the anxieties that he brings to his teams.

A 5 point lead with Liverpool and 3 games to play and ends up 2 points behind the eventual Champions. His inabilities to go past the last 32 in Europe, only achieving it once due to a league set up for teams that had failed to come out of their groups.

It was all there for you to see, I  am not sure where you were looking or if you were paying any attention at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Fox said:

Well when we end up in the Championship and probably scratching for a manger preseason who has no clue about the squad and then likely in another relegation fight you may change your mind

we now have a chance to get someone who can help us rebuild instantly - I would give Rafa whatever he wants it - it took us years to comeback last time and this is the end of a fabulous era 

no time to gamble spend and get it right!

Or when Rafa fails to achieve what we need or are fans turn on him for his negative football and club will be in no position to sack him without another huge financial hit, I would prefer it if the club never paid or backed another manager as much as they did with Rodgers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Or when Rafa fails to achieve what we need or are fans turn on him for his negative football and club will be in no position to sack him without another huge financial hit, I would prefer it if the club never paid or backed another manager as much as they did with Rodgers.

Well accept mediocrity then - we were paying the right wages on the wrong fella!

2 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Well accept mediocrity then - we were paying the right wages on the wrong fella!

we are nowhere near a club big enough to be paying the 4th highest manager wages in the league, we also are paying well over the odds in player wages for players of not even premier league quality, I would prefer the club to look at younger and up and coming managers who have a good record of bringing youth players through and can utilise our state of the art training facilities.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Seems like we have somehow got ourselves into a position where we are having to choose between  the managerial equivalents of Dennis Nielsen, Peter Sutcliffe, Harold Shipman and Fred West and having to pick the most attractive option 

We should be burying the opposition,for the last 8 games,  but we'll have to dig deep.