Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Dean Smith is the worst name we've been linked to. He isn't even a 'get promoted' appointment. He's a fade into obscurity appointment 

I mean he’s actually got someone promoted. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

So did Pearson (and more impressively) but half this fan base treat his name like voldermorts. 

My argument there would be recruitment was pretty much the defining thing in Pearsons’s time. Problems were fixed often by replacing players, rather than tactics. Without Walsh there I’d question how successful he’d be now. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

My argument there would be recruitment was pretty much the defining thing in Pearsons’s time. Problems were fixed often by replacing players, rather than tactics. Without Walsh there I’d question how successful he’d be now. 

And my argument with Smith would be without being gifted Jack grealish they wouldn't have been promoted (and nearly weren't) 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

but that's probably an indictment on the truly awful position we are in and we are all but relegated. 

Which is the saddest thing about all this - 8 games to go, a relatively kind schedule, only two points from the safe positions, a good GD  - in sporting terms there should be every hope that, whilst we can still mathematically stay up, it's far from over.  I get that our form is woeful, but form is fleeting - we have a squad that has shown it can play well if they can stay focussed - it feels very disappointing that so many fans have just given up :(  And that we can't attract a candidate that is more focussed on 'what will you do for me if i keep you up' rather than 'what will happen to me when we go down'.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This will be unpopular but Dean Smith has achieved as much in the game as Nigel Pearson, in fact Nigel never got a PL team to finish 8th or get to a domestic cup final.

He's shit the bed since Grealish has gone and was an abomination at Norwich (like Pearson was at Derby and Leuven) but there'd be plenty on here who would eat anthrax if it meant Pearson came back to try and save us.

Smith is nothing special but he's the only one willing to take it until the end of the season as our board are incapable of scouting dynamic and progressive managers looking to make the step up. 

I don't mind this after taking some time to reflect, but that's probably an indictment on the truly awful position we are in and we are all but relegated. 

Give em hell Dean.

Tbf he completely out did Rodgers tactically over two legs in the cup

The game at the KP in particular 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This will be unpopular but Dean Smith has achieved as much in the game as Nigel Pearson, in fact Nigel never got a PL team to finish 8th or get to a domestic cup final.

I kind of agree and this isn't particularly important but if Nige wasn't sacked in 2015 for reasons outside his immediate control (his sons behavior) he would have in all probability done a lot better than finish 8th the next season. I guess people will be glad he didn't but putting it out there.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's shit the bed since Grealish has gone and was an abomination at Norwich (like Pearson was at Derby and Leuven) but there'd be plenty on here who would eat anthrax if it meant Pearson came back to try and save us.

Smith is nothing special but he's the only one willing to take it until the end of the season as our board are incapable of scouting dynamic and progressive managers looking to make the step up. 

I don't mind this after taking some time to reflect, but that's probably an indictment on the truly awful position we are in and we are all but relegated. 

Give em hell Dean.

A very reasonable post. However, it is one of the few times I have to disagree with you. 

Smith likes to turnover players - Villa/Brentford without actually delivering sustained results. We need an impact with a group for 8 games - he hasn’t got that. 

He’s effectively failed as a manager without Grealish. Norwich are a team set up for any manager. Sensible. Decent championship manager. Reasonable owners. His failure there shouldn’t have him any where near the PL. 

It’s not an inspiring appointment. Doubt the players feel different. 

Smith takes us down without much fuss. It won’t be too different to what we have now. I bet he also gets the summer and next season, regardless. 

Not something I checked but how many of the 12 clubs who changed their manager this season considered smith? Not many I would wager.

we are where we are and I will back him if he comes in. I just hope the Board 1) doesn’t drag this out and 2) continues to look at a longer term appointment for the Summer. Don’t want to pause and start again once the season ends as we will need all the time available to reset and prepare for next season - whichever league we are in.

6 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Which is the saddest thing about all this - 8 games to go, a relatively kind schedule, only two points from the safe positions, a good GD  - in sporting terms there should be every hope that, whilst we can still mathematically stay up, it's far from over.  I get that our form is woeful, but form is fleeting - we have a squad that has shown it can play well if they can stay focussed - it feels very disappointing that so many fans have just given up :(  And that we can't attract a candidate that is more focussed on 'what will you do for me if i keep you up' rather than 'what will happen to me when we go down'.

True but we were so abject on Saturday it knocked all the hope out of us 

Edited by Mr Weller 2

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't know. He developed players pretty well too. Alongside Shakespeare, of course.

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

A very reasonable post. However, it is one of the few times I have to disagree with you. 

Smith likes to turnover players - Villa/Brentford without actually delivering sustained results. We need an impact with a group for 8 games - he hasn’t got that. 

He’s effectively failed as a manager without Grealish. Norwich are a team set up for any manager. Sensible. Decent championship manager. Reasonable owners. His failure there shouldn’t have him any where near the PL. 

It’s not an inspiring appointment. Doubt the players feel different. 

Smith takes us down without much fuss. It won’t be too different to what we have now. I bet he also gets the summer and next season, regardless. 

It's been reported that nobody else is interested short term of the usual suspects who we've seemed interested in talking to. That's on us but given we aren't going to go and ask Kjetil Knutsen to step up or someone who would still see the Championship and a shot at the title as progression then it comes down to whether Smith over 8 games is better than Stowell and Sadler and to me he will be.

I actually think he's shown in the past that pressure situations he can inspire his team to show some belief and mental resilience. 

I'd much rather this happening than Jesse Marsch for 3.5 years and Benitez is a problem for me even though I would have him right now to save us and worry about having to get rid of him at a later date.

I just think this stands half a chance of working, the only dilemma is the 4 wins we need, if he gets them means he'd get a longer term deal and if he didn't it would seem harsh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

To whatever degree the rebuild takes place, it is clear that there is going to be a good amount of movement this summer - the idea of entrusting that to Smith is terrifying.  I can't believe that the club - even with how hopeless they currently seem - can't realistically see smith as anything other than a gesture towards seeming to be doing something.

4 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

True but we were so a abject on Saturday it knocked the hope out of us 

Sure - but there's still a chance that we can find something, i'd understand if we were 8 or 9 points adrift and that forest and leeds and southampton were on fire, but this is wide open if they can just get someone in that makes a difference.

11 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Not something I checked but how many of the 12 clubs who changed their manager this season considered smith? Not many I would wager.

we are where we are and I will back him if he comes in. I just hope the Board 1) doesn’t drag this out and 2) continues to look at a longer term appointment for the Summer. Don’t want to pause and start again once the season ends as we will need all the time available to reset and prepare for next season - whichever league we are in.

in fairness how many were looking for an interim manager? 

Palace went for a club legend. Most clubs go to someone internal but we obviously don’t have anyone… so in a way the shakey connection at least makes sense. 

I’d prefer rafa of course but at least if we are making an appointment with few decent options available, it’s better to go for one that gives us freedom to move on in the summer.  As i have previously mentioned, my only concern is that our nicey nice club will hire him if he does somehow keep us in the league 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's been reported that nobody else is interested short term of the usual suspects who we've seemed interested in talking to. That's on us but given we aren't going to go and ask Kjetil Knutsen to step up or someone who would still see the Championship and a shot at the title as progression then it comes down to whether Smith over 8 games is better than Stowell and Sadler and to me he will be.

I actually think he's shown in the past that pressure situations he can inspire his team to show some belief and mental resilience. 

I'd much rather this happening than Jesse Marsch for 3.5 years and Benitez is a problem for me even though I would have him right now to save us and worry about having to get rid of him at a later date.

I just think this stands half a chance of working, the only dilemma is the 4 wins we need, if he gets them means he'd get a longer term deal and if he didn't it would seem harsh.

Ric, one thing you have to agree is that Dean Smith to Leicester is on par with Steve Bruce to Newcastle. 

It’s going to be tough for him to inspire the players - none of them signed for this. 

Granted; i understand the self inflicted issues. 

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

He looks like a caricature of a bird of prey for god's sake, and we expect to be taken seriously 

We'll all be dressed up as kestrels last day of the season as Deano has led us to 15th. 

• Haha 1