Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

Potter leaving Chelsea has fallen right into our lap, but like a few others have pointed out, I wouldn’t feel ecstatic if we did end up appointing him.

His possession based football can be just as boring as Rodgers. Don’t forget his Brighton side were booed off at certain points of his tenure. Now he’s coming off the back of a disastrous stint at Chelsea, boring possession based football mixed with constant overthinking of team selection. If he was to install his overthinking mode with us then he’d take us down.

He’d be an appointment that many would look at as sensible, but after Rodgers & Puel, I’d rather we moved away from a possession based manager. 

Agreed. The Potter appointment would be enimently sensible - a proven PL manager of a club 'our size', would want to prove himself again and would feel Leicester would be a platform to do it, has avoided relegation, and has a history of not just buying players, but building a club, and plays the style that we're (in theory) setup to play (if you ignore the fact that Tielemans and Maddison are off, and the rest are incapable of playing effective possesion football).

However, is he different enough. Most of our players aren't good enough to succeed playing possession football. We need someone that is going to come in and shake things up for the last 10 games, and ensure survival. We are in 'Big Sam' territory - we need to stay up over the next 8-10 games (we could easily lose the next two before we get someone in), and can plan for the future after that.

We were foolish to wait so long to sack Rodgers, it was clear we were going one way, and we've now lost all out options.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Potter would be hated on here as much, if not more than Rodgers. His style of football is even more sideways and back than Rodgers, take a look at recent Chelsea games (and some of Brighton's) for proof. He's also pretty gormless and not the type that will shout from the sidelines or kick players up the arse. At Brighton he did get them playing great stuff by the end, but his successor IMO took his squad and showed him how he should have been using it. Look at the embarrasment of riches he had at Chelsea and lack of not just results, but performances. When Rodgers was at Liverpool he had them within 2 games of the title, Potter couldn't even get Chelsea to have a few good games where they looked great.

I'm not saying we need a passion merchant, but Rodgers biggest weakness was not being able to get players into line through discipline or motivation. Great when things are going well, but poor when they are going badly. Potter is the same, if not worse. 

The one thing I would say about him is IF we survive this season (I personally don't think we will), then he would be a great manager for a rebuild. Given our expectations would be pretty low next season, he would be the type to gel new players and get them playing some cohesive football again, assuming there are no expectations whatsoever other than to improve the style of play and stay up. 

I think Leicester's most favourite managers have been those that connected with the fans. O'Neill, Pearson, Ranieri in my lifetime. Rodgers, even when playing great stuff never connected with the fans. I think it's an important facet to have, as keeping the fans onside spurs on the players. Who do I want? Don't know to be honest, but I'd rather we tried someone fresh from the continent, who has some charisma about them and realises the importance of the fans, without thinking they are above us.

MON was great for us and was always destined for better things. But he never talked down to the fans, even though he was too good for us. 

Agree with all of that, apart from the last 8 words.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Brighton under Potter this season:

2.16 PPG

Brighton under De Zerbi this season:

1.5 PPG 

De zerbi is clearly good but it is a massive insult to Potter to suggest that Brighton have become a changed team since he left.

They play really nice football, just as they have done for the past 2 years. 

Potter had them clicking this year & De Zerbi has continued  that. 

That was after 8 games of the season. Potter never got Brighton into Europe nor close to winning a trophy. 

I don’t think he’s a bad manager, but our fans will fall out with him fast. 

9 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Potter’s team actually create great chances, unlike Rodgers. The issue is that they can’t put the ball in the net - which is worrisome because it’s happening at Chelsea, too. I think xG loves him. 

Seems like a pattern to me, the same was true when he was at Swansea. Maybe if you base everything around XG, you get found out? Because that appears to be happening to him. 

If he was appointed I’d get behind the guy, but I feel like I could predict what would happen with him already. He’s got about as much personality as Claude Puel. 

26 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Just seen the video of Vincent Kompany going blastic at Burnley players in the dressing room....luv it... Can't seem to download it here due to file size limitations 

25 minutes ago, Stinky said:

May aswell settle for Gordon Ramsey if we just want someone who can shout at players 

Shouting at players /dressing them down is super cliche and can have negative effects. But the best ones are able to affect the game before, during and at halftime in games. Arteta doesn’t shout at his player’s negatively, but he’s always running up and down the pitch and waving his arms. He’s trying to set the tempo for his team to be on the front foot and it works. Much better than writing in your notebook!

Rodgers had a lot going for him. He understands modern football; pressing triggers, the high line, patterns of play, etc. But throughout his career he’s lacked the ability to make his teams mentally tough. 

I’m not surprised Kompany is smashing it, managers that have worked with or under Guardiola include Ten Hag, Arteta, Luis Enrique, Kompany, Xavi. And all of these are very active on the touch line. 

I think the board would certainly have Potter if he’s an option.  The bigger question is whether he’d take the job.  He can certainly get a PL job over the summer if he wants, and not have to step into a basket case facing a dogfight not to be relegated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Agreed. The Potter appointment would be enimently sensible - a proven PL manager of a club 'our size', would want to prove himself again and would feel Leicester would be a platform to do it, has avoided relegation, and has a history of not just buying players, but building a club, and plays the style that we're (in theory) setup to play (if you ignore the fact that Tielemans and Maddison are off, and the rest are incapable of playing effective possesion football).

However, is he different enough. Most of our players aren't good enough to succeed playing possession football. We need someone that is going to come in and shake things up for the last 10 games, and ensure survival. We are in 'Big Sam' territory - we need to stay up over the next 8-10 games (we could easily lose the next two before we get someone in), and can plan for the future after that.

We were foolish to wait so long to sack Rodgers, it was clear we were going one way, and we've now lost all out options.

Agreed.

Imo, Potter like many other possible candidates would be an ideal summer appointment. A rebuild of management and players has been much needed for the past year, as you said, the board held onto Rodgers for far too long. Whether we get relegated or not, a refresh of the playing squad will be coming in the summer, I wouldn’t be against Potter overseeing that kind of change, especially on the midfield front, where he could get his own players in that suit possession based football better than our current crop.

But as I also said, I just feel a proper refresh is needed, that means moving away from a possession based style, after what we’ve seen under Puel & Rodgers, I’ve become sick and tired of seeing us play that way.

As you said, at this point of the season, it’s kind of ‘Big Sam’ stop gap territory. The first port of call is to fix the defence and make us hard to beat, on that front, whether fans like it or not, Benitez for 10 games is the ideal candidate, but I certainly wouldn’t want him beyond that time frame. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Just seen the video of Vincent Kompany going blastic at Burnley players in the dressing room....luv it... Can't seem to download it here due to file size limitations 

If it’s the video I’m thinking of I’m sure it was whilst he was at Anderlecht, didn’t hold back either way lol I’d personally love Kompany but there’s zero chance he’d leave Burnley for

us at the minute 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

If it’s the video I’m thinking of I’m sure it was whilst he was at Anderlecht, didn’t hold back either way lol I’d personally love Kompany but there’s zero chance he’d leave Burnley for

us at the minute 

I somehow think that outburst is just for the camera's. He probably seen Neil Warnock's video.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, stu said:

Said it in another thread, but Vieira should be number one on the list.

Big name, has over seen a rebuild, will have fire in his belly after harshly sacked (maybe in his opinion) and will sort out this pathetic weak mentality we have.

....he came to the KP for a draw when we were at our worst!!!

Who wants a manager who does not believe in his team, lots of talent and flair and he came for a draw, he is not for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Come on Potters is miles ahead of Gerrard / Lampard. Potter has been good at every other club bar Chelsea 

Like all forums..that’s your opinion..

oh which every club..in the PL..

1 hour ago, jim5000 said:

Difference is he has a track record of making excellent long term signings. The exact opposite of Brendan

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

That was after 8 games of the season. Potter never got Brighton into Europe nor close to winning a trophy. 

I don’t think he’s a bad manager, but our fans will fall out with him fast. 

Seems like a pattern to me, the same was true when he was at Swansea. Maybe if you base everything around XG, you get found out? Because that appears to be happening to him. 

If he was appointed I’d get behind the guy, but I feel like I could predict what would happen with him already. He’s got about as much personality as Claude Puel. 

I mean, creating good scoring opportunities is usually seen as a good thing. I am not as high on Potter ad I once was but he would be one of the top realistic hired easily. Anyone mentioning the likes of Dyche, Big Sam, MON, Rafa, or Lampard (wtf) over him is nuts

3 hours ago, nathan. said:

Because hes aussie?.

Get a grip mate. 

Has nothing to do with it, though I’ll admit some bias vs other candidates.

Success wherever he goes, gets the best out of players and drives a culture of winning. Leaves clubs better than when he found them. 

Strong press, ball travels fast, very well organised. Fearless, keeps fans onside as he’s very honest. 

All things we would be asking for, no? Or should I get a grip? 

• Like 4