Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

I have said it too many times to count in the past two years - his understanding of "modern football" has lost all relevance in the current climate.

Football goes in cycles, and his Barcelona / Spain inspired school of thinking is now outdated and so, so easy to play against with a resolute backline, an intense press and fast breaks.

The depressing thing is, we were a big reason that change in belief happened when we won the league. I lost count in our title season of the amount of times we let the other team have the ball and didn't give two shits, because we knew we were good enough to defend it, go up the other end and score as they committed bodies in advanced positions.

Atletico Madrid made a similar sea change happen in Spain, at a similar time.

Now "lesser" teams know they can do it, with varying degrees of success, sure, but it's the blueprint to be competitive in the Premier League in 2023 and it has worked against us time after time after time. It actually really hurts me every time I see a team do us on the counter, because that's something we perfected at one point, and threw away to instead pursue precisely a style of play for which we were instrumental in dispelling any myths and fear surrounding its supposed superiority.

The top sides today have more of the ball, but they combine that with the same intensity and the likes of Arsenal and Man City no longer play to hold the ball at all possible times, because they know they don't need to with an intense press and quick transitions. They've adapted. We haven't.

Tiki-taka is dead, and Rodgers' insistence in sticking to it - with square pegs in round holes for the most part - has left us absolutely bereft of either ideas or confidence. He doesn't understand modern football - he's been left behind by it. There will probably be new changes in tactical thinking in the coming years, as there always are, but at this point we're simply playing the wrong style to succeed.

Great post. 

Rodgers' style of play very rarely came  off in the end, and if it did it seemed it was mainly due to the opposing manager's ignorance to the way we play - if you do your research on how we actually set-up we are very easy to nullify and beat. His one dimensional tactics, stubbornness and strange decision making has inevitably cost him his job. Yet most media outlets will tell you that's he's had little money to spend, avoiding the fact that we have a bloody good squad that has been drastically underperforming for some time.

Personally I haven't got a manager in mind who I'd like to see here next, but I'd like to think they can put the drive and passion we've clearly been missing at this club - players and fans alike.  

Says it all that I feel much more optimistic we can turn this around now, without knowing who the next man will be. 

• Like 3

At the moment, we need someone that can get the best out of what we have. We are soft, and too predictable.

Please can we move away from this style of football. We obviously cant get him, but I want a Simone clone. I don't know who that is. 

I really do think Gattuso could do well.. reminds me of an Italian Pearson, a great man motivator.

Played in Scotland, married to a Scottish lass so speaks English, and basically built the framework for the current Milan and Napoli squad.... finished 6th and 5th with Milan and 7th and 5th with Napoli and won the Coppa Italia.

Fair enough he didn't settle at Valencia

Plus when Milan let him go, he donated his £4.8 mil severance pay back to the club to make sure the salaries  of the backroom staff who had lost their jobs, when he lost his were taken care of... So he's a pretty sound guy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I have said it too many times to count in the past two years - his understanding of "modern football" has lost all relevance in the current climate.

Football goes in cycles, and his Barcelona / Spain inspired school of thinking is now outdated and so, so easy to play against with a resolute backline, an intense press and fast breaks.

The depressing thing is, we were a big reason that change in belief happened when we won the league. I lost count in our title season of the amount of times we let the other team have the ball and didn't give two shits, because we knew we were good enough to defend it, go up the other end and score as they committed bodies in advanced positions.

Now "lesser" teams know they can do it, with varying degrees of success, sure, but it's the blueprint to be competitive in the Premier League in 2023 and it has worked against us time after time after time. It actually really hurts me every time I see a team do us on the counter, because that's something we perfected at one point, and threw away to instead pursue precisely a style of play for which we were instrumental in dispelling any myths and fear surrounding its supposed superiority.

The top sides today have more of the ball, but they combine that with the same intensity and the likes of Arsenal and Man City no longer play to hold the ball at all possible times, because they know they don't need to with an intense press and quick transitions. They've adapted. We haven't.

Tiki-taka is dead, and Rodgers' insistence in sticking to it - with square pegs in round holes for the most part - has left us absolutely bereft of either ideas or confidence. He doesn't understand modern football - he's been left behind by it. There will probably be new changes in tactical thinking in the coming years, as there always are, but at this point we're simply playing the wrong style to succeed.

This is it. And it’s also my concerns re Potter, as he is very similar to Brendan. The only thing is his Brighton side took us apart with ease on the counter, so there’s hope there.

Because of our position, you would think that most available managers would sit back and see what happens towards the end of the season. Nobody is going to want to take a job now and then end up in the lower division in three months time. You might get some chump who’s just happy to be a manager of a Premier League team regardless of what happens, but anyone that’s worth their salt is not coming here until they know what direction we are going and how long they’ve got to do it. 10 games is too little. We needed to move Brendan on when we were speaking about it 10 weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Very good post, but we haven’t been the sort of team to dominate possession for a long time now, our stats are under 50% for the season. Our two most recent victories have been from playing a high line and fast transition. In several games we’ve sat back in a deep block and countered. During his time here we’ve seen us go from 4141 to 4231 to 352 for a bit to 433. 

However, I do agree that our overall style hasn’t worked for over 18 months now. 

Guest bennytwohats
24 minutes ago, copunk said:

May get slaughtered for this but I really don't think Potter is the man for the players we have 

Very similar to Brendan in the way he plays, alot of passing around, tika taka football, as we know we don't have the players for that, it's got us pretty much in the position we are in now 

I think there is a question here as to whether that was really down to Brendan’s philosophy, or Brendan’s implementation of that philosophy.

I don’t mind the style we tried to play because when it was great it was great. Where Brendan failed is the inability to mix things up, lack of in game dynamic changes, freezing out of certain players, inability to organise the defence, poor mentality in the squad etc.

Just because Potter might have a similar style on paper I think it’s a bit simplistic to say he would go the same way.

There’s also an argument that what we need right now is someone who can come in and tweak things rather than overhaul them completely. There isn’t time left at this point for a complete 180 change in style, but we do need to tweak things and someone who understands what Brendan was trying (but failing) to do with the squad may be more likely to get the best out of them in the short term.

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very good post, but we haven’t been the sort of team to dominate possession for a long time now, our stats are under 50% for the season. 

Not disagreeing with the rest fo your post, but just to add to this one... 

It's not for lack of trying. We have still aimed to dominate possession, we've just been ****ing rubbish at it and changed nothing in our attempted approach. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

There’s also an argument that what we need right now is someone who can come in and tweak things rather than overhaul them completely. There isn’t time left at this point hange in style, but we do need to tweak things and someone who understands what Brendan was trying (but failing) to do with the squad may be more likely to get the best out of them in the short term.

Maybe in the longer term (although I'm not personally convinced.) but for the right here, right now, an absolute bastard approach is needed imo. 

I know it doesn't look like our players have the minerals for it but I'm hopeful that a bit of MON style "pashun" (not necessarily advocating him, but also wouldn't necessarily be against it short term at least) combined with the technical quality we do possess, and the handbrake coming off in terms of overcoaching, would be enough to turn it around for this last 10 games. 

Under BR we risked maddison being sent off at the bare minimum as his caring conflicts with his detailed instructions leads to him losing his head when it is clear its not working and clap along continues to tell them more of the same. 

You wonder if the timing of Brendan and Potter is a coincidence, or planned……

We know the club have liked Potter, what seems like a knee jerk reaction could be a reaction to that? Perhaps they caught wind that Chelsea were planning on sacking him and decided to act?

Difficult one. It is basically two different jobs, short term, keep us up. Longer term rebuild. Add to that not knowing what league we would be in.

Im not sure there’s an obvious candidate who ticks the box for both jobs, who would risk managing in the championship and who is available.

Personally I get a bad feeling about Potter. I’m not sure how he’d get on taking on the mess we are.

Some shouts for JDT at Blackburn. They looked good against us but let’s be honest, that’s no badge of honour this season. I was keen a while back but they do lose a lot of games and draw very few which is a problem for us. You’d think that game on Saturday not holding on for the draw is something that would happen with him.

Calls for MON are pure nostalgia. Absolutely not.

Whilst it would be uninspired, I get the calls for Rafa for the first part of the job as I think he could keep us up. But I wouldn’t want him for phase two and he may not want to take such short term.

I do like Carrick. He learned under the master SAF like him or not. Not really sure how he’d be at a rebuild as he’s quite new to management. But SAF was the master at refresh and go again so would they have rubbed off? I don’t think he’d come now either with Boro’s position. Maybe one for the summer if Boro aren’t promoted.

6 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Benitez trying to get us out of Championship in 5 months time would have an air of the Sven era about it.

As much as I wouldn't want him past 10 games, he's got Newcastle out of that division comfortably before 

I wouldn't have anyone on that list. Why do we always stick to people who have recently managed in the UK. Its stupid there so much better quality of management outside of the country. The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Dyche would never have made it on the continent.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

You wonder if the timing of Brendan and Potter is a coincidence, or planned……

We know the club have liked Potter, what seems like a knee jerk reaction could be a reaction to that? Perhaps they caught wind that Chelsea were planning on sacking him and decided to act?

Given all of the Leicester connections at Chelsea, it’s entirely possible that we knew Potter was gone when we announced Brendan was off. 

Guest bennytwohats
11 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Maybe in the longer term (although I'm not personally convinced.) but for the right here, right now, an absolute bastard approach is needed imo. 

I know it doesn't look like our players have the minerals for it but I'm hopeful that a bit of MON style "pashun" (not necessarily advocating him, but also wouldn't necessarily be against it short term at least) combined with the technical quality we do possess, and the handbrake coming off in terms of overcoaching, would be enough to turn it around for this last 10 games. 

Under BR we risked maddison being sent off at the bare minimum as his caring conflicts with his detailed instructions leads to him losing his head when it is clear its not working and clap along continues to tell them more of the same. 

I can understand that view as well. It’s clear there are a lot of valid views being put forth and whichever way we go all fans aren’t going to be in agreement. It’s such a. Huge decision. Win a couple of games and we’ll come together galvanised, lose a couple and the fanbase will be furious.

Exciting is the wrong word for it because of the precariousness of where we are, but it’s really gripping. 

3 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

We must stop consider replacing loser with an another loser so appointing Potter is absolute no no no for me.

We need to go after either Tuchel or Nagelsmann.

Tuchel is at Bayern now... Ancelotti? Zidane? :D

Edited by somebum

3 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

We must stop consider replacing loser with an another loser so appointing Potter is absolute no no no for me.

We need to go after either Tuchel or Nagelsmann.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Although I agree it was time for him to go, an FA Cup, Community Shield, two 5th place finishes, and a European semi final is hardly a loser for a manager of Leicester! 

But then again we won the league and therefore we have a given right to be top 4 every year right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I wouldn't have anyone on that list. Why do we always stick to people who have recently managed in the UK. Its stupid there so much better quality of management outside of the country. The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Dyche would never have made it on the continent.

So who would you want? 

• Like 1