Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

Sticking with Stowell for the rest of the season is a gamble but the club have already gambled with our top flight status by keeping Rodgers in charge for so long. I'm not sure who would want to come here under the circumstances 

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Benitez took over Newcastle in a similar position to ours now, if not better, and still got relegated.

He has been a good manager but I wouldn't want him now. Plus the style of his football is negative so I can't see how that appeals to people who criticised our football this season.

Rodgers outclassed Pep once, doesn't mean I'd want Rodgers over Pep.

I just checked. He took over from Newcastle with them on 25 points from 28 games, exactly the same as what we are on now! Funnily enough they were in 17th, one point above the relegation zone but the downside was that it was three of four to go down because the teams above them had at least a five point cushion, whereas we are still within touching distance of several teams. 

They finished on 37 points, picking up 12 points from his 10 games in charge. Maybe, just maybe, that might be enough? 

Edited by BenTheFox

Unfortunately this decision has been made far too late and all the posts on here indicate what a difficult appointment this will be.

I've really no idea who would be best and from the Percy article stating they had no one lined up indicates the board don't either. 

Basically we need someone who can instill some self-belief, confidence, determination and fighting spirit into what appears to be a feeble squad mentally and one shot of pretty much any confidence.

On top of that they need to quicky establish a playing method that plays to our strengths and at least makes us difficult to beat. It isn't about exciting play now it is all about results.

I think it will probably be a stop gap as we can't expect to attract any top manager from overseas especially in the current predicament we are in. We are also not going to want to pay compensation for a manger and their entire backroom staff that seem to accompany people these days.

So someone currently out of work is most likely.

I was worried that the club would appoint either Benitez or Hasenhuttl on a 2 and a half year deal but I'm feeling slightly more confident now that Potter is available.

I imagine it'll be caretaker then Potter in the summer if we stay up. 

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Difficult one. It is basically two different jobs, short term, keep us up. Longer term rebuild. Add to that not knowing what league we would be in.

Im not sure there’s an obvious candidate who ticks the box for both jobs, who would risk managing in the championship and who is available.

Personally I get a bad feeling about Potter. I’m not sure how he’d get on taking on the mess we are.

Some shouts for JDT at Blackburn. They looked good against us but let’s be honest, that’s no badge of honour this season. I was keen a while back but they do lose a lot of games and draw very few which is a problem for us. You’d think that game on Saturday not holding on for the draw is something that would happen with him.

Calls for MON are pure nostalgia. Absolutely not.

Whilst it would be uninspired, I get the calls for Rafa for the first part of the job as I think he could keep us up. But I wouldn’t want him for phase two and he may not want to take such short term.

I do like Carrick. He learned under the master SAF like him or not. Not really sure how he’d be at a rebuild as he’s quite new to management. But SAF was the master at refresh and go again so would they have rubbed off? I don’t think he’d come now either with Boro’s position. Maybe one for the summer if Boro aren’t promoted.

Good post.  I agree that it would be a mistake to look for a long appointment now, especially as we don't know what division we'll be in.  We definitely need to think of the 2 jobs separately and the urgent need now is to decide on what's best for the next 10 games. 

Could we make do with an in-house solution or Is that too much to expect for a run-in as long as 10 games, and what capabilities do our in-house staff have for such a task?  It was an easy decision to make with Shakespeare because he was in charge of training, had intimate knowledge of the players, and had plenty of experience.  With Rodgers' perceived controlling mentality I wonder whether his underlings were mere lapdogs with limited ability or initiative to be able now to step up and make important decisions for the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poznan34 said:

Is Potter really going to be up for a relegation battle 12 hours after being booted from the biggest job he's ever likely to get? If I was him I'd go on holiday and take my pick of clubs in the summer.

This - all day long. There is zero upside for Potter taking this job right now, if we get relegated he'll have gone from the most wanted UK manager to the guy who failed at Chelsea and then took Leicester down. It would make no sense now for him to take the job - next season a different matter, but now would be mental on his part

Rafa is the logical choice.

He fits the bill for everything:

Premier league experience.

Coached in the championship + got Newcastle back up.

Can organise a defence (where we have issues).

Yes he's declining as a manager in recent years but at this present time he would be considered the best bet. If we stay up we can reassess. If we go down he'd probably be happy to stay and with us having lots of players out of contract he would steady the ship and not let us basically just free fall.

I do think there is better out there.. Marcelo Gallardo is the man but he won't come in a month of Sundays but with our present situation we have to be realistic.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Is Potter really going to be up for a relegation battle 12 hours after being booted from the biggest job he's ever likely to get? If I was him I'd go on holiday and take my pick of clubs in the summer.

As much as I would like Potter this does seem the most likely outcome. I don't think his stock has been too tainted by Chelsea and he can probably pick and choose in the summer or early next year. We'd have to get him to buy into the project but that would all go out the window if we were relegated anyway.

I have always been worried about the sort of manager who entices our ownership, and for me Rafa was one reason I'd have used for keeping Rodgers. It might give a small bump to carry us over the line for the next 10 games but we'll undoubtedly be here again in 10-12 months time.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Yes he's declining as a manager in recent years but at this present time he would be considered the best bet. If we stay up we can reassess. If we go down he'd probably be happy to stay and with us having lots of players out of contract he would steady the ship and not let us basically just free fall.

I do think there is better out there.. Marcelo Gallardo is the man but he won't come in a month of Sundays but with our present situation we have to be realistic.

What is Benitez's player buying reputation like?

Edited by Horibbly Wrong

Rafa isn't the answer. He's a lazy answer.

He's renowned for not being well liked by players, plays a negative brand of football that we'll all be sick of pretty quickly, didn't keep Newcastle up in a similar situation and failed miserably at Everton.

I'd only consider it if it was definitely for 10 matches, but we all know that if we win a few and stay up, the clouds will lift and the board will make him the permanent manager. Benetiz leading the biggest rebuild in the clubs history would be a disaster.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Depends on how much the Chelsea job has affected him mentally, but you could also make an argument that he could be keen to get right back at it and prove the doubters wrong. Plus, Premier League jobs, with the money and level of facilities we'd be offering don't come around every day. In my opinion, the longer he's out of work - the more he's remembered purely for his Chelsea failings.

Would be a gamble for him, but I'm sure we will ask the question, and he will give it some thought.

13 minutes ago, deep blue said:

We definitely need to think of the 2 jobs separately and the urgent need now is to decide on what's best for the next 10 games. 

I’m not so sure - a decent manager should be able to navigate the next 10 games and then build for next year. 

Eddie Howe at Newcastle is a pretty good example. 

get Rafa in then appoint some1 else this summer… as if that would happen ffs lol even if we do bring in a manager as a “Temporary” measure he’ll end up with a 6 year deal come the end of the season regardless if we stay up or go down with Rudkin at the wheel

Edited by dbtcity
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Rafa isn't the answer. He's a lazy answer.

He's renowned for not being well liked by players, plays a negative brand of football that we'll all be sick of pretty quickly, didn't keep Newcastle up in a similar situation and failed miserably at Everton.

I'd only consider it if it was definitely for 10 matches, but we all know that if we win a few and stay up, the clouds will lift and the board will make him the permanent manager. Benetiz leading the biggest rebuild in the clubs history would be a disaster.

Benitez has supposedly been holding out for the West Ham job. However we could probably get him if we offered him a decent long-term contract. He wouldn't be interested in a short-term contract until the end of the season, though. 

Edited by ClaphamFox

12 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

He’s also someone who I think the players would respect and look up to as he’s managed the very best (Real Madrid) and won trophies. His football might not be the best, but equally look at our predicament - we’ve hardly got a very good squad anymore. I think he’d keep us up on organisation alone.