Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

If we go for Potter, I hope our players are not as stupid as the Chelsea lot. Honestly, unbelievable:

DA741F98-7AAB-41FB-B29F-D39618499DDF.jpeg

That was to be expected. Chelsea have World Cup and Champions League winners in their squad. Potter has won no major trophies and had no reputation as a player. He never qualified for Europe, though he did have that good run with Ostersunds a few years back. Potter skipped the stage of "up and coming coach with some degree of pedigree" to him. Sean Dyche got Burnley into Europe, Nuno Santo got Wolves promoted and into Europe, Roberto Martinez won the FA Cup with Wigan... Potter was always going to be eaten alive by Chelsea and it was to the surprise of no-one when it happened.

He's still a good coach. I've been quite negative about him but think he could do a job here. My issue is more that I think he has the same flaws as Rodgers: over reliance on possession, quiet on the touchline, not proven at turning round a bad patch or getting the best out of top players. I think it would be Rodgers mk2, though if the first few seasons were as good as Brendan, maybe that's not a bad thing. You could definitely do a lot worse, but he really struggle at a team with expectations despite having a lot of resources to work with.

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's surprising how often people put forward names who would never be considered if they didn't have a Leicester connection - Lennon, Cambiasso, O'Neill, etc. Why does the fact that they were previously at the club in some capacity mean they'd be able to provide what we need now? 

So the bookies can cash in on nostalgia. I mean there's more chance of an alien landing on the Whitehouse lawn than Lennon getting the gig, but still the bookies will give 16/1 and there will be some dreamers lumping on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Because the Leicester connection is the exact point. These players have been over coached and sometimes just stripping it back to doing the basics and having the fans on side and creating an atmosphere is enough to get things over the line in the short term of 9-10 games.

Absolute recipe for disaster thinking like that. Football has come a long way since a bit of atmosphere and passion was enough. I 100% think our players need a certain level of going back to basics, but thinking a dinosaur like O'Neill is going to be enough is delusional. I'd also seriously question the idea that our fans would create an atmosphere hostile enough for that to work, we've been silent for the last few years. 

33 minutes ago, Focks said:

Chris Wilder. Prem experience, did well with Sheff U and ended up falling out with owners.  Championship experience - and experience of getting a team to the Prem.  Good reputation in the game and will be desperate to have another crack at the Prem.  On a short term contract at Watford so won't cost the earth.

Absolutley not. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Focks said:

Chris Wilder. Prem experience, did well with Sheff U and ended up falling out with owners.  Championship experience - and experience of getting a team to the Prem.  Good reputation in the game and will be desperate to have another crack at the Prem.  On a short term contract at Watford so won't cost the earth.

Jesus wept…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That was to be expected. Chelsea have World Cup and Champions League winners in their squad. Potter has won no major trophies and had no reputation as a player. He never qualified for Europe, though he did have that good run with Ostersunds a few years back. Potter skipped the stage of "up and coming coach with some degree of pedigree" to him. Sean Dyche got Burnley into Europe, Nuno Santo got Wolves promoted and into Europe, Roberto Martinez won the FA Cup with Wigan... Potter was always going to be eaten alive by Chelsea and it was to the surprise of no-one when it happened.

He's still a good coach. I've been quite negative about him but think he could do a job here. My issue is more that I think he has the same flaws as Rodgers: over reliance on possession, quiet on the touchline, not proven at turning round a bad patch or getting the best out of top players. I think it would be Rodgers mk2, though if the first few seasons were as good as Brendan, maybe that's not a bad thing. You could definitely do a lot worse, but he really struggle at a team with expectations despite having a lot of resources to work with.

You worry he has reached the pinnacle of his career too early. He's not aiming for the top anymore as he's already reached it and become a very rich man. 

You'd have to question his motivation, even at a sub conscious level. 

1 minute ago, Nobbyburton said:

Absolute recipe for disaster thinking like that. Football has come a long way since a bit of atmosphere and passion was enough. I 100% think our players need a certain level of going back to basics, but thinking a dinosaur like O'Neill is going to be enough is delusional. I'd also seriously question the idea that our fans would create an atmosphere hostile enough for that to work, we've been silent for the last few years. 

Bit unfair to call him a dinosaur-he was a genius manager for us and he’s still much younger than Hodgson

Thing is at this stage, you don't get someone on a 10 game contract unless they're vastly inexperienced (Sadler) or have a connection and willing to do the club a favour (like Hodgson at Palace). I don't think those options are viable to us, which is why we need an option that will potentially work longer term too. This is more difficult when the threat of Championship football next season may put better managers off, but unfortunately that is where we are due to previous inaction. 

The comments about Potter having similar style to Rodgers are fair to a point, but that does also mean that it would be tweaks for the final 10 games rather than wholesale changes, which I think might not be a bad thing in itself. If he could get us creating chances then I think we'd put some of the lesser teams to the sword. He's clearly a decent candidate longer term too. Whether he'd want it right now is another matter.

Whilst I think people like Frank would jump at the chance in the summer, he's just not going to take it right now - he'd be mad to, and as pointed out, I don't think we're in a position to get in someone for the 10 games alone.

Given the way the club has been run this season I am fully expecting Rafa, and I think we'll be looking for a new manager again before Christmas if that happens.

1 minute ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Bit unfair to call him a dinosaur-he was a genius manager for us and he’s still much younger than Hodgson

Hodgson never really stopped working and obviously kept learning and adapting. I'm not calling O'Neill a dinosaur purely based on his age.

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's surprising how often people put forward names who would never be considered if they didn't have a Leicester connection - Lennon, Cambiasso, O'Neill, etc. Why does the fact that they were previously at the club in some capacity mean they'd be able to provide what we need now? 

I thinks it’s just a reaction to Rodgers and motivation style (the little clap). They want blood and thunder passion and someone getting into the lads to get the best out of them and think ex-Leicester players / gaffers would deliver that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

Thoughts?

Mildly interested. His Frankfurt team that had a run to the Europa League semi's was brilliant fun. Jovic and Haller in a 3-4-1-2 system with the likes of Kostic and Rebic providing the ammo. They were breathtaking at times and their recruitment had been the envy of many around Europe as they'd managed to pick up extremely talented young players / players who'd lost their way and reignite them.

His recent gig at Gladbach was a concern but he's definitely someone with very good experience.

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

You worry he has reached the pinnacle of his career too early. He's not aiming for the top anymore as he's already reached it and become a very rich man. 

You'd have to question his motivation, even at a sub conscious level. 

I reckon he'd be a good fit to succeed Southgate if he wanted to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You've done his work prior to coming back to England a massive disservice, he got Östersund promoted what 3 times, won a Swedish cup and got them to the knockout stages of the Europa League.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Mildly interested. His Frankfurt team that had a run to the Europa League semi's was brilliant fun. Jovic and Haller in a 3-4-1-2 system with the likes of Kostic and Rebic providing the ammo. They were breathtaking at times and their recruitment had been the envy of many around Europe as they'd managed to pick up extremely talented young players / players who'd lost their way and reignite them.

His recent gig at Gladbach was a concern but he's definitely someone with very good experience.

Too big a gamble