Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Line-X said:

The poll doesn't make it clear whether you are voting for a manager of your preference or one that you believe to be the most likely candidate irrespective of that. 

I voted on who I think it will be and therefore voted for Benitez

He's hardly glamorous, and not necessarily my choice, but I have more faith Rafa will keep us up than Potter.

Potter is a risk, having just come up from a disastrous spell at Chelsea, not really looking like the kind of fighter we need for these remaining games.

I'm not saying Rafa is perfect either, but I guess I assuming Potter would be better for the long term, to help rebuild us, but Rafa is better as a short term fix: it might pay off if we say up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I reckon it’s Pochettino

3 minutes ago, mod hero said:

I’m horny

3 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I think you're mental, but would be sensational.

He isn’t employed so is more realistic than anyone currently in a job - but I simply don’t see him wanting to get involved in our current mess 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Why even bother analysing this? Pochettino is straight up 100% not going to rock up at relegation threatened Leicester City for fvck sakes.

This is a throwback to the time FoxesTalk seriously thought Jurgen Klopp was coming to Leicester (really.)

Then why bother analysing the musing for analysis? Or does only those suggesting inquiry warrant your critical evaluation?
To be clear, I would not want him here. He would not come. Interested why people think he would. :dunno:

Rafa is uninspiring but realistic. He has had success in the past. And he is the type of manager that isn't afraid to lead. The way this board work, I think that's what they want. They want someone else to make all the decisions. Rudkin really needs to go now to some advisory post and a proper DF installed.

If we really are cash strapped, he has been happy to work under that at Newcastle without complaining too much. At Newcastle their fans seemed genuinely upset when he left. And before that he was at Real Madrid. But his reign at Madrid showed his positives and negatives. Only managed for 25 games: won 17 of them (lost 3). But was sacked because the players hated him and so did the fans. He gets results but has poor man management skills. Gerrard and Carragher have both said he was unapproachable and tough. 

But we have to be realistic about where we are. Dropping like a stone with no form and didn't spend much money this season amid FFP concerns. We are not an attractive prospect for a lot of managers.

We will become hard to beat and he is very ruthless. Which is what we need. And whilst his success was a long time ago, he hasn't been at a club with any sort of transfer funds for a long time.

Uninspiring but makes sense given how quickly we need to appoint someone.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think he actually started well at Everton (hoping someone could confirm the stats?) I think he was unbeaten in his first 4? I remember thinking he turned Demarai Gray into a world beater in his first few games, and inspired cheap transfer!

Yes, they won three and drew one of their first four of the 2021-22 season as you said and got the best out of his then new signing D.Gray as you alluded to - but then the wheels started to fall off by mid October time and then they remained very patchy up until Rafa's sacking in the February (2022) and only improved slightly to scrape by and avoid relegation when Lampard came in of course, including beating us at home towards the end of course . 

As I said he might work for the short term but I think would be more intent on eyeing up something longer term 'permanent' here but we'll just have to see.

Rafa took 13 points from the 10 games in charge of Newcastle when he was brought in to fight against relegation - which also included a loss to us, Okazaki bicycle kick!

Finished 18th on 37 points, 2 points and 7 goal difference behind Sunderland who also picked up 15 points in that same period

When he was at Everton they started the season really well - this is when Everton and I think Villa were supposedly in a "title race"?

Then they went to absolute crap; couldn't defend set pieces, weird tactical decisions, losing their star striker

Always thought it was stupid of Everton to bring him in and for him to join them with his Liverpool history in the first place though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would be disappointed if it was Rafa they turn to. 

Doesn't make sense as his 'brand' of football is like Rodgers. 

At least he wouldn't throw players under the bus. 

But would dish out facts I guess. I think he'd show a lot more passion and emotion than Rodgers. Sadly that's not what we nerd. Just need points. 

What was his record at Newcastle in PL? 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Why even bother analysing this? Pochettino is straight up 100% not going to rock up at relegation threatened Leicester City for fvck sakes.

This is a throwback to the time FoxesTalk seriously thought Jurgen Klopp was coming to Leicester (really.)

Might be on the market soon anyway….so…

• Haha 1

This whole conversation of "So and so won't come here to play in the Championship..." is a terrible take.

We are in a bad place, but so are 8 other teams. It will only take a few wins to reach safety, and any manager coming in will look at the situation, look at our squad, then back themselves to keep us up. 

Any manager that would look at us and think "If I go there, I could be managing a Championship side next year" does not have the mentality that we want in the position. 

I get that people are looking at it as a risk, but that's not how any incoming manager would see it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Unpopular opinion but I'd take Rafa Benitez on a short-term deal* over taking Potter now.

Neither Everton nor Newcastle had squads with the actual creativity and goal scoring potential that we have, in fact the squad he had at Newcastle might well have been one of the worst attacking teams put together in the Premier League. For context, Ayoze Perez was his best forward.

He's got an extremely good track record for smart tactics and, in particular, setting up teams for one-off games both tactically and in terms of inspiring/motivating. Given we've essentially got five or six cup finals to play in our remaining league games, I can see some value in that.

He's got a better track record in making a team hard to beat and stabilising them defensively than Potter and that's largely what we need now, not to mention Potter would be coming in fresh after 6 months from hell.

The * is that if we sign Benitez on anything more than a til-the-end-of-the-season deal then I'd probably throw myself off the Shard before the end of the day. I absolutely would not advocate for him to be our long term replacement to Rodgers and if we seriously think he's the answer then, yes, I am actually done with the current board. I don't understand how anyone could see his tenure at Everton and Newcastle and see that he's the way forward. Given I don't really think it would be that difficult to tempt someone in the Potter, Frank, Silva class to come here in the summer and none of them require much imagination it really isn't much of a stretch to think we could do a lot better than Rafa.

I bet it's at least a season.

If we stay up and stay up next season then I'll take it.

I'm not sure we have legitimately better options nor the time to bide.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Self confirmation is no proof and you know it, back in your box.

Touch uncalled for. If I remember correctly, your argument regarding Poch previously is he isn’t any good because he didn’t win anything. It just isn’t true, is it? He’s a terrific manager who can build a massive project. I’d argue he’d be perfect for us, he just wouldn’t come.

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He isn’t employed so is more realistic than anyone currently in a job - but I simply don’t see him wanting to get involved in our current mess 

It's such a shame, especially if it's true he was keen a year ago. To not snap him up on that is terrible really. 

From the potential of poch to rafa is quite the fall in a year. 

6 minutes ago, Guy said:

Yes, they won three and drew one of their first four of the 2021-22 season as you said and got the best out of his then new signing D.Gray as you alluded to - but then the wheels started to fall off by mid October time and then they remained very patchy up until Rafa's sacking in the February (2022) and only improved slightly to scrape by and avoid relegation when Lampard came in of course, including beating us at home towards the end of course . 

As I said he might work for the short term but I think would be more intent on eyeing up something longer term 'permanent' here but we'll just have to see.

Thing is, I really don't think we can afford to think long term. We simply must stay up. Who's the best option for that? 

I am surprised nobody has mentioned (as far as I'm aware) tuchel. Wasn't he quoted as wanting a club outside of the traditional bigger ones for his next job? A project. One where the media intensity isn't quite so high. 

Maybe even one they'd believe everything he says even if the stats don't add up... :ph34r:

Edited by ARTY_FOX
Yes I am aware lol
  • Haha 4