Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Our Next Manager

Leicester's Next Manager   

841 members have voted

1. 1. Leicester's Next Manager

• Ange Postecoglou
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Graham Potter
    • Michael Carrick
    • Ralph Hassenhuttl
    • Thomas Frank
    • Other (state who)

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We need someone till the end of the season to fight this relegation battle.....so my choice would be Shakespeare and Appleton as his assistant. 

Both out of work and know the club and Appleton was given a caretaker manager for a game which Leicester won

There’s a reason them relics are not working 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Guest said:

I'm sure they have but he's since been sacked by Chelsea while his replacement has Brighton on course for Europe. I would suggest his stock is not quite as high as it was and has fallen sufficiently that clubs expecting to qualify for Europe and potentially challenge for trophies are going to look elsewhere.

I don't think the Chelsea job counts on a managers CV and did he not help build the team that are on course for Europe? I don't think his stock is that badly damaged that Tottenham wouldn't consider him

7 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Even tenuous links to Jesse Marsch are making me a bit ill 

Jesse Marsch is going to hook up with Boehly at Chelsea & complete the Stars  & Stripes theme !!!

From Leicester Mercury 

Who would you like to see replace Brendan Rodgers as Leicester City manager?
 Rafa Benitez

Graham Potter

Steven Gerrard

Mauricio Pochettino

Ralph Hasenhuttl

Ange Postecoglou

Nigel Pearson

Jon Dahl Thomason

Michael Carrick

Mike Stowell

Adi Hutter

Will Still

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Dyche is doing am incredible job at  Everton. I really think he would have sorted us out. 

Maybe a more pragmatic manager helps in these circumstances. Perhaps you'd favour a credible voice who simplifies instructions, allows players to be more instinctive, and focuses on motivation / work-rate / self-belief instead of attempting to conjure a masterplan to unravel opposition. It might explain the past success that someone like Allardyce has had in these circumstances. This could also be why so many fans are separating their long-term from their short-term favourites.

That said, the club's firm belief that 'only a possession-based, build-from-the-back style is sustainable' - evidenced by Puel, Rodgers and arguably even Sven - must be coming into question. Would that give you second thoughts about Potter while you've got the likes of Nuno and Benitez, or even shorter-term options as candidates: I've seen many mentions of Shakespeare, who could easily continue in a coaching role beyond the end of the season and who, in the event of relegation, might be very useful if we deemed that the old 'dream team' were our best/cheapest chance of bouncing back and rebuilding effectively in the process.

Of course, many of us remember that Harry Bassett was brought in for much the same reasons that you could advocate for someone in the Dyche / Allardyce mould now. I'm not sure how credible a voice he was by 2001, but it's still a warning that from this point on it becomes hard to draw on precedents.

40 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Dyche is doing am incredible job at  Everton. I really think he would have sorted us out. 

Does he get graded on a curve? He's one point out of the relegation zone with one more game than most of the other teams in the relegation battle.

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We need someone till the end of the season to fight this relegation battle.....so my choice would be Shakespeare and Appleton as his assistant. 

Both out of work and know the club and Appleton was given a caretaker manager for a game which Leicester won

I'm not sure why you're being laughed out of town here. It's a suggestion which could easily go very wrong. We saw Shakespeare's Leicester crumble at times, and he rarely convinced as a manager. But he ticks some of the boxes.

He's affordable and available. He offers future continuity too, if you take the view that he'd be a useful on-going Assistant in either division. He'd be likely to strip away some of the complication and over-intricacy of Rodgers' football - preferring directness, work-rate, togetherness. He has established relationships throughout the club, off and on the field (Iheanacho, Ndidi, Mendy, Barnes, Amartey among them). And he pulled us out of the drop zone at the arse end of a season once before, albeit in different circumstances.

Is he of the calibre of Benitez, Nuno, Potter etc.? No, obviously not. He's not even as respected as Lampard, who worries me as a potential appointment (whether we stay up or not) more than CS, and who is more likely than those other names to be desperate enough to accept the job. But if you cast him, or Shakespeare, to one side and favour Benitez, then you have to consider the mess he created at Everton, or the fact that he took Newcastle down from exactly the position that we're in now. And what if he keeps us up? Do you unleash him with our biggest rebuild in years, or even trust him to guide it?

You look at Potter, and think that he's been through a torrid time at Chelsea, favours a style of football which has hardly been working wonders for us under Rodgers, and has probably never found himself coming into a job like this one before. You look at Hasenhuttl. You look at Postecoglou, O'Neill, Pearson, Gerrard, Marsch - it's not hard to think of very good reasons why we shouldn't go for them and, in some cases more than others, not too many reasons why we should.

There are almost certainly better appointments than Shakespeare out there, but it's not going to be a black-and-white matter when it comes to picking them out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

I can't believe people want Rafa have people not seen his record at Everton, it's isn't much better than Rodgers this season, so I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Id have more faith in Pearson 

I don't think he can be fairly judged at Everton. When it was rumoured he would join some of their fans put banners up near his house saying something along the lines of "we know where you live, don't sign" it was toxic from day 1 and he was never going to get a fair shake with the Liverpool connection. He should never have taken the job and Everton should never have offered it to him. It was a marriage made in hell from day 1. Chelsea was similar and he even won the Europa there. 

I'm not really sold on him either but he tends to do very well in the transfer market which we need. He would probably keep us up and he has won a lot of trophies. I'm coming around the more I look at his record objectively.

Edited by desertfox2
Benitez