Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

17 minutes ago, Viva said:

It’s mad that there are 121 pages talking about a Director of Football! One that has gone through some very good times, along with the bad. The good times get quickly forgotten though. 

"Are the 'good times' in the room with us right now?"62rcwn.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2e4b44608698de

• Haha 3

In the previous relegation season, there wasn't just a failure of one footballing aspect of the club - they all failed.

Player recruitment failed badly

Player sales failed badly

There was a failure to recruit a new head of recruitment until after the transfer window ended

First team management failed badly

There was a failure to take timely action to sack the first team manager

There was a failure to recruit the right new manager

There was a failure to recruit a new manager quickly enough

There were failings in the medical side of the football operation requiring the replacement of the top man there

The mens academy failed badly enough that they would have been relegated without a fortuitous league restructuring.

So - are we to believe that all of these failed aspects, covering all facets of the football side of the organisation - are NOT the responsibility of the director of football?

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

I'm not defending him I want him gone. I just hate the fact he's guilty of everything wrong in the club in so many people's eye's. 

Hate away - I'm used to it :D

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

There's some irony to that given the man himself's own behaviour around the club. People are free to believe that/this or not - but he's hardly Mr Popular around the club and is not an easy person to deal with. 

This is to the point that LCFC have become over-reliant on a particular agent and agency in sourcing players and management. 

Can I ask how it is that you know so much about the workings of the club?

Are you an employee or do you know someone who is that can be trusted?

6 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Can I ask how it is that you know so much about the workings of the club?

Are you an employee or do you know someone who is that can be trusted?

I've been lucky enough to get to know a few folk who have dealings with the club through my own professional career. Everything is always with a pinch of salt and it's always 'after the event'. 

Wouldn't have a clue about the new manager. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

... No, but he has to understand our budget and the implications of our spending within the rules...?

Honestly, I think you're the only one that doesn't really get what a DoF does. 

He also has to do what his boss tells him. We freely chose to ignore FFP in the championship long before Rudkin was near the post. We continued to buy and overspend past what we should have and then came up with a beyond-iffy scheme to try and get out of it. 

Now, either the people running the football side and continually just doing what the hell they want and somehow managing to sign the cheques, or there are discussions at the board level that sign off a certain spend / course of action. 

It's pretty obvious since the beginning under Vichai, that they have been more than happy to roll the dice and deal with the consequences later. I'm starting to get the feeling that we're going to see exactly the same again this summer. Going for Potter is hardly the sign of someone with relegation in mind and keeping finances tight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah

Vardy  - signed before 

Mahrez - signed before 

Kante - signed in Aug 2015 - spoken about as Steve Walsh's no.1 target and he had to convince Ranieri 

Huth - signed in Jan 2015 on loan 

Morgan - signed before 

Okazaki - signed in June 2015 

Maguire deal conducted by Whelan - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7320425/SPORTS-AGENDA-Hints-Harry-Maguires-80m-dropped-week-ago.html

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1116314/2019/08/05/woodward-was-quoted-80m-for-maguire-in-may-and-paid-it-in-august-heres-what-really-happened-in-between/

Fofana deal conducted by Whelan - 

Walsh leaves, Rudkin steps in to stamp his mark on the role in the summer of 2016. 

Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa, Kaputska, Slimani (at £40m - over £20m over the 'guide' price)

Come on, the vast majority will be on the scouted list from before Walsh went, plenty were linked before he went. There was about a 6 week gap between Walsh going and Mascia coming in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

So, if, let's say purely theoretically here, you know, in a parallel universe. 

Bear with me, you'll need to use your imagination a bit. 

But let's say we were facing an impending points deduction, that could relegate us and thus financially cripple the club, due to massive spending breaches when we went hideously over budget, would that be a Rudkin issue? 

Partly, solely no.  

There is a board, a CEO, a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a Finance Director, teams of accountants etc. All involved in knowing the rules in front of us, signing off budgets, spending, and signings, wages etc. Do you beleive for one moment that discussions have not been had, that they've not all seen the potential numbers?

Do people really think Rudkin kicks open the doors to the boardroom, gives them a wink and says, "Trust me, guys, all in hand",... and then doesn't get sacked for it?

Or is it far more probable that he's not been sacked because they are all well aware that they signed off whatever finances were on the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah

Vardy  - signed before 

Mahrez - signed before 

Kante - signed in Aug 2015 - spoken about as Steve Walsh's no.1 target and he had to convince Ranieri 

Morgan - signed before 

Maguire deal conducted by Whelan - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7320425/SPORTS-AGENDA-Hints-Harry-Maguires-80m-dropped-week-ago.html

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1116314/2019/08/05/woodward-was-quoted-80m-for-maguire-in-may-and-paid-it-in-august-heres-what-really-happened-in-between/

Walsh leaves, Rudkin steps in to stamp his mark on the role in the summer of 2016. 

Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, Musa, Kaputska, Slimani (at £40m - over £20m over the 'guide' price)

Rudkin was Director of Football in December 2014. Before some of those transfers you have listed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Cheers Jon. Kevin has been in role for just over a year - the issue predate that.

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Cheers Jon. Kevin has been in role for just over a year - the issue predate that.

Not entirely true.

He's Been in the role over about 10 years or more , they just changed the job title last year. Previously it was chief finance controller or something similar if I remember correctly. 

Edited by themightyfin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah

Vardy  - signed before 

Mahrez - signed before 

Morgan - signed before 

Interestingly, Huth even namechecks Rudkin in this article about his signing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2463810/2021/03/28/huth-exclusive-supporters-want-themselves-represented-on-the-pitch-that-was-the-case-at-leicester/

“They were keen on me. Jon Rudkin (director of football) and Steve Walsh (then-head of recruitment) still believed I had a point to prove and fire in my belly. That was the case. The run we went on was amazing.”

We then went on to sign Fuchs, Okazaki and Kante in the summer of 2015. Key players in the title winning season. I assume none of these were anything to do with Rudkin either? Also Ranieri arriving too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Not entirely true.

He's Been in the role over about 10 years or more , they just changed the job title last year. Previously it was chief finance controller or something similar if I remember correctly. 

He was the financial controller who would have had little if any influence, he would of just reported into Simon Capper.

When he left he was promoted, an easy option but potentially the wrong one given how complex and choppy the waters are. Thing is he was probably on about £60-£80K as an FC, and they probably got him for £120K which will be about £100K or more below the market rate for an established CFO is a business that size. 

Even you weigh up the good and bad he’s been fully or partially culpable for successive disasters since then. 

Apportioning him credit for things that happened 10 years ago is like saying well OJ had 11,236 rushing yards, 2,142 receiving yards and 990 kick return yards so it’s not all bad 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Viva said:

Interestingly, Huth even namechecks Rudkin in this article about his signing. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2463810/2021/03/28/huth-exclusive-supporters-want-themselves-represented-on-the-pitch-that-was-the-case-at-leicester/

“They were keen on me. Jon Rudkin (director of football) and Steve Walsh (then-head of recruitment) still believed I had a point to prove and fire in my belly. That was the case. The run we went on was amazing.”

We then went on to sign Fuchs, Okazaki and Kante in the summer of 2015. Key players in the title winning season. I assume none of these were anything to do with Rudkin either? Also Ranieri arriving too?

Rudkin did actually do a good job on Kante in persuading him. Widely documented since though it took Walsh a lot of a persuasion of Ranieri. 

I do find telling you are reaching back to 2016. Football moves quick. If we held the same to our managers, we’d still have Ranieri or Rodgers in charge 

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

In interim - whilst Steve Walsh overlooked it all 

You can try to word it however you like, but he took responsibilities for Director of Football in December 2014 and was officially announced as permanent in February 2015, still before some of the transfers you listed. 

23 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Even you weigh up the good and bad he’s been fully or partially culpable for successive disasters since then. 

Apportioning him credit for things that happened 10 years ago is like saying well OJ had 11,236 rushing yards, 2,142 receiving yards and 990 kick return yards so it’s not all bad 

I wouldn't say virtually two years sat in the top 4 and an FA Cup win were disasters. The best few years in our club's history, but ok let's ignore all that then and just focus on the couple of years after the FA Cup win. 

• Like 1

Just now, Viva said:

You can try to word it however you like, but he took responsibilities for Director of Football in December 2014 and was officially announced as permanent in February 2015, still before some of the transfers you listed. 

Fair enough - responsibilities were very different at stage which has changed over time 

Just now, Viva said:

I wouldn't say virtually two years sat in the top 4 and an FA Cup win were disasters. The best few years in our club's history, but ok let's ignore all that then and just focus on the couple of years after the FA Cup win. 

Do you think Rodgers should still be in charge ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Did the FA Cup happen 10 years ago? Did promotion happen 10 years ago?

I stand by what I always say, we have no idea who knew what, who said what, or who signed what off. Clearly, in his position, he's going to get a percentage of the blame, but so is everyone. So either just apportion blame to all, or choose the person at the top. 

There are just things that nobody alive is going to get right all the time. Yeah we signed some duds, which comes from poor scouting. Some of that is just poor scout judgement, some of that is appointing the wrong person. But we've had a high turn around in scouting, generally because we've been good at it, so the staff have been poached. Eventually, we'll get it wrong. 

• Like 4