Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

27 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

So if Rudkin was a big fan of the way Wimbledon used to play for instance you want him to dictate that philosophy to firstly Enzo and secondly too Cooper no matter what ? He would also dictate which players would be signed as long as they fitted the Wimbledon mould ?

God give me strength

Well if that was his and Top's idea then appointing Maresca especially would be absolutely daft, so yeah, not a gotcha.

• Like 4

Guest Chocolate Teapot
29 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

So if Rudkin was a big fan of the way Wimbledon used to play for instance you want him to dictate that philosophy to firstly Enzo and secondly too Cooper no matter what ? He would also dictate which players would be signed as long as they fitted the Wimbledon mould ?

God give me strength

What's Rudkins philosophy then? How is that driven into the club?

We've gone from a manager with a distinct style that we built the 5 year plan around to one that's famed for a very different style.

It stinks of short term ism and that's on the dof

3 hours ago, ramadaone said:

God give me strength

You hire a DOF to control the football aspects of the club. And, that can include style. Hiring a manager like Enzo when the DOF wants to play like Wimbledon would be stupid and only an idiot would think that. Its no different to a director role elsewhere, not neccesarily doing it themselves but having a structured plan and ensuring the personnel alongside strategy meet that plan. Going from one style to another after a season, probably indicates there isnt a plan. I would say in modern football, having the Wimbledon style that you've asked for is probably not the best idea. 

By approaching something in this way it allows for succession with minimal disruption. Its not rocket science - we can see elsewhere that the DOF role is becoming and has become a key aspect to how the football side of football clubs are run. Whether that be Ashworth to Newcastle and then Man U. Wilcox to United. Monchi to Villa. Hughes to Liverpool (Michael Edwards before then). Clubs are approaching this in more structured way. To take your simple point, if the club wanted to be a tribute act to the Crazy Gang, you'd go out and get a DOF who enforced that philosophy. You would'nt go out and get Pep to coach. Its not a difficult concept is it. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

I think the 'style' philosophy has flown out of the window. All that matters now is trying to stay up, hence Cooper. 

Absolutely and that for the moment is probably our best, albeit a very small chance, should we get a sizable points deduction. 

Does anyone seriously think that Enzo's plan A only intransigent style of play was ever going to be adequate for us to survive under those circumstances?  Not a cat in hells chance!

It's absolutely cries out for a manager who can get the absolute best out of the players he's actually got, not play a system with tactics that's suitable for the players he wishes he had.

Maresca has a task on his hands at Chelsea and it's no good whining there because he's got plenty of talent to work with. After the drubbing at Celtic, according to the media, the noise coming from the players is that they were confused 🤣. It took Poch over half a season to get Chelsea looking half right, Maresca, I don't think will get that luxury. 

As for us, whether Cooper is that man who can get the best out of the players that he actually has remains to be seen. However, I think he's far more likely to do it than Maresca would here, in that respect we dodged our first bullet imo.

This year isn't going to be a year where style over substance can win. The chances are we're going to lose far more than we win and it won't be pretty. We're not in the position to have the luxury of pretty, it's got to be about grit, fight and determination. It's time for more of a Brian Little or Martin O'Neil attitude not a Top wanting possession football philosophy or a Paulo Sousa/Enzo Maresca attitude. It's about whatever it takes. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ramadaone said:

God give me strength

Dear Jon,

I grew up in the 90’s and loved the brief memory of the Crazy gang, I even had the joy of training there a few times as a kid but please use a better example.

The comments have been spot on about the DoF not having a long term goal and simply sitting back and quietly taking the glory but then going into hiding when it doesn’t work.

For all our sakes, I hope lessons will finally be learned if we perform as terribly as I’m fearing.

Thanks for messaging though.

Yours sincerely

SafewayFox

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

What's Rudkins philosophy then? How is that driven into the club?

We've gone from a manager with a distinct style that we built the 5 year plan around to one that's famed for a very different style.

It stinks of short term ism and that's on the dof

I presume Rudkin threw all his eggs in the Potter basket and panicked when he told him no

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

I presume Rudkin threw all his eggs in the Potter basket and panicked when he told him no

Which I can understand to a very small degree but he’s turned us down now how many times?

The fact that it’s 2024 and the most exotic league that we’ve hired a manager from is the SPL.

I’m not having that there are no managers outside of Potter/the PL have a philosophy that would achieve what we’re looking to do.

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
12 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Hardly innovative or imaginative is it

50 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

the average tenure of a manager nowadays is 2 years. the point of a director of football is to provide continuity in the face of that, having a set identity that head coaches and players are recruited in to, the financials of building a completely new squad every other season is terrible.

Ironically we broke that stat leading to many of our failings.

7 hours ago, ramadaone said:

God give me strength

This might be one of the stupidest things you've ever posted.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Wonder who he asks for second opinions on operations

The man is doubling up as a bloody surgeon now too?

When is this ridiculous situation going to end? Man has more jobs than a Tory MP.

• Haha 1