Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

3 minutes ago, Viva said:

Ah yes, the ok Jon reply. Not had that one before. 

Well if you choose to continuously defend the indefensible it shouldn't surprise you that people that people naturally assume you have a close relationship with the bloke!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Well if you choose to continuously defend the indefensible it shouldn't surprise you that people that people naturally assume you have a close relationship with the bloke!

Lack of any context and stubbornly occupying only one side of any argument is not a sign of intelligence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Giving credit to a bloke that contributed to us signing the players that helped us win the league, FA Cup and challenge for the Champions League really isn’t indefensible. 
Neither is giving him credit for signing the players and manager that won us the Championship. The manager also made us good profit to help with PSR.
We could go onto consolidating ourselves as a top half Premier League team again and people like you will still go on about the fact we once got relegated because we were trying to achieve more than really a club like ours should be capable of. 

1 hour ago, guest123 said:

trouble is he's responsible for a lot that went wrong, but he certainly wasn't the one that moved the financial year or whatever it was so no way he should get any credit for avoiding the psr breech. 

end of the day, over the last few years we've wasted a lot of money on some strange signings, failed to sell players at the right time and allowed well over £100m worth of talent to walk out of the door for free, and then hired dean smith to keep us up

Ok so based on that slightly reductive logic does he then deserve a bit of credit for:

Hermadsen 6 million

Fatawu 17 million

Winks 10 million 

Mavidivi 7.5 million

Fofana 30 million 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

I suppose the other way to look at it is, if we were currently in 2011/2012 leading up to 2015/2016, would we still want him beheaded? He played a part, not matter how small over our fortunes bad and good over the last x years, but because recently we are on the downslope, it seems tragic. Recency bias is a bitch  lol

34 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Ok so based on that slightly reductive logic does he then deserve a bit of credit for:

Hermadsen 6 million

Fatawu 17 million

Winks 10 million 

Mavidivi 7.5 million

Fofana 30 million 

I don't think he should get credit for or slated for signings, he doesn't pick them. As I've said times, I'd rather stick to what his decisions were. Eg. Did he appoint a good head of recruitment or not? If we get more right than wrong it's probably safe to say it was a good decision (Mascia I would say was a hit, Congerton a mistake and the new guy is a mixed bag so far). 

Of course, then there are the managers; they have an influence on signings, as we've seen this summer with a focus on premier league players. So there is a discussion there to be had about whether they should have that much influence, but I feel it's not been too heavily weighted in one direction, and we've signed some promising younger players as well. So it would seem from the outside there is some influence, within a frame work of us needing to add young players with a chance of progression. 

Edited by Babylon

2 minutes ago, Viva said:

Giving credit to a bloke that contributed to us signing the players that helped us win the league, FA Cup and challenge for the Champions League really isn’t indefensible. 
Neither is giving him credit for signing the players and manager that won us the Championship. The manager also made us good profit to help with PSR.
We could go onto consolidating ourselves as a top half Premier League team again and people like you will still go on about the fact we once got relegated because we were trying to achieve more than really a club like ours should be capable of. 

Ok you just keep ignoring the failings if it makes you feel better. I fully acknowledge the highs too but there is no room for sentiment in business (ask Claudio!) and in any other walk of life those responsible for such a catastrophic collapse would be rightly relieved of their responsibilities.

• Like 1

Just now, Silva Fox said:

Ok you just keep ignoring the failings if it makes you feel better. I fully acknowledge the highs too but there is no room for sentiment in business (ask Claudio!) and in any other walk of life those responsible for such a catastrophic collapse would be rightly relieved of their responsibilities.

It might have escaped your attention, but we are currently, as it stands, a premier league club. Whilst there have been failings, there have also been more recent good decisions that got us back to this point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

It might have escaped your attention, but we are currently, as it stands, a premier league club. Whilst there have been failings, there have also been more recent good decisions that got us back to this point. 

It might have escaped your attention that we breached PSR, were forced to sell our most creative player and are bookies favourites to get relegated again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

As Babylon mentioned below, you keep ignoring the fact that we are back in the Premier League. A lot of good decisions last year helped.

I’d be interested to know what it would take for you to stop talking about the one year we got things wrong? How successful do we need to become? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

It might have escaped your attention that we breached PSR, were forced to sell our most creative player and are bookies favourites to get relegated again. 

Well, technically, we didn't breach PSR; lots of clubs have had to sell players. Including Villa, who I'm sure most would say are doing well at the moment. And the last time we were favourites to get relegated we won the league, so they are utterly meaningless to the conversation. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Viva said:

As Babylon mentioned below, you keep ignoring the fact that we are back in the Premier League. A lot of good decisions last year helped.

I’d be interested to know what it would take for you to stop talking about the one year we got things wrong? How successful do we need to become? 

And I'd be interested to know how bad things would have to get for you to accept that we have a DoF who is out of his depth.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Well, technically, we didn't breach PSR; lots of clubs have had to sell players. Including Villa, who I'm sure most would say are doing well at the moment. And the last time we were favourites to get relegated we won the league, so they are utterly meaningless to the conversation. 

Just because we got out of the actual punishment because of a loophole, it doesn’t mean we didn’t still breach PSR - we did, badly.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

And I'd be interested to know how bad things would have to get for you to accept that we have a DoF who is out of his depth.

You haven’t answered my question?  If we hadn’t got promoted last season, things would have got a lot worse for us.

However, we did and are in a far better position than we was 12 months ago. So things aren’t as bad now as you are making out. Would have to get a lot worse again before I’m calling out the DOF. I’ve been happy with this transfer window too. If we stay up, I think we’ll be in a much better position to add more quality next summer. 

Edited by Viva

My biggest gripe with Rudkin is the contracts he awards most players and the fact players are allowed to run down contracts. To be fair to him, signings will be recommended by the scouting team, even managers, some will turn out fantastic, others abysmal, with most somewhere in between. But Rudkin will negotiate the contracts and to that extent we have been stuck with too many players who we can't sell on because of their wages or inflated transfer fee. Hopefully this near miss with PSR will sharpen future planning and get us back to the model we did so well, buying promising young talent with great resale value in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Hermadsen 6 million

Fatawu 17 million

Winks 10 million 

Mavidivi 7.5 million

Fofana 30 million 

doesn't really balance out a lot of the other things I highlighted though, what's the saying, throw enough shit and some of it will eventually stick

2 hours ago, Viva said:

Then made some great signings in the Championship and hired Enzo, who won us the league and made us £10m profit to help with PSR. 

could be argued that he was one of the main reasons we were in the championship in the first place, but yes you are correct he did that, then gave vesty a 3 year deal

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Read our press release. 

The club can word it however they like, it still doesn’t negate the fact our PSR losses were £24.4m over the £105m limit.

Just because we were in some legal grey area regarding which league we were in at the time and have got away with it because of a legal loophole doesn't mean the club haven’t still cocked up.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I don't think he should get credit for or slated for signings, he doesn't pick them. As I've said times, I'd rather stick to what his decisions were. Eg. Did he appoint a good head of recruitment or not? If we get more right than wrong it's probably safe to say it was a good decision (Mascia I would say was a hit, Congerton a mistake and the new guy is a mixed bag so far). 

Of course, then there are the managers; they have an influence on signings, as we've seen this summer with a focus on premier league players. So there is a discussion there to be had about whether they should have that much influence, but I feel it's not been too heavily weighted in one direction, and we've signed some promising younger players as well. So it would seem from the outside there is some influence, within a frame work of us needing to add young players with a chance of progression. 

I agree with this regarding transfers that you should look at the heads of recruitment and see if their period was a success. 

Steve Walsh: big success

Macia: big success

Congerton big disappointment

Glover: jury still out but last summer was ace

So based on that he is doing his job.

25 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

My biggest gripe with Rudkin is the contracts he awards most players and the fact players are allowed to run down contracts. To be fair to him, signings will be recommended by the scouting team, even managers, some will turn out fantastic, others abysmal, with most somewhere in between. But Rudkin will negotiate the contracts and to that extent we have been stuck with too many players who we can't sell on because of their wages or inflated transfer fee. Hopefully this near miss with PSR will sharpen future planning and get us back to the model we did so well, buying promising young talent with great resale value in a couple of years.

It was said way back that the scouting team pass on the general value of a player, are involved in making sure we get value etc. He's not a scout. That doesn't absolve him of everything clearly, for all we know he just ignores that information. But it's not all on him, he could be getting recommended a shit player and being giving duff info about their value. 

That's why I always say I'd rather focus on what is likely his decision, in putting the head of recruitment in place. Eg. Getting Congerton despite a clear history of rubbish. He allowed the manager to dictate a key position in the club. Those for me are the failings there. I can see him falling for all the bluster Rodgers used to come out with about Congerton spotting X and Y players. 

To balance that, I would say Mascia was a decent decision and the new guy the jury is out so far. Nobody is going to get it right all the time. 

We don't know for sure, but I suspect there isn't a great deal of forward planning. You'd like to think the scouting team were tasked with watching managers and signings of other clubs so see who is building a reputation for great work, so that we can keep them in mind. But it doesn't really feel like that with some of our decisions. Again, I think that forward planning is a potential failure point. 

I don't really like the bloke. As I said he or someone at his level should be accountable to the fans and he should be  being interviewed on Lcfc YouTube at least once maybe twice a year setting out the direction the clubs going in and explaining the decisions of the past year. Other clubs get this and the fact the club expect to put up the prices of tickets, merchandise and food and drink up at way past the rate of inflation and keep fans completely in the dark is almost criminal.

But ...

There is absolutely no way in hell he is the bogey man responsible for every single thing that's gone wrong and nothing that gone right that some on here would have you believe. And the more it drags on the more he gets blamed the more it just looks like a witch hunt and the more it just sounds like negative, ill informed moaning that ends up polluting ever part of the message board and actually hurts us when we do need to push back on something like the 25 quid card charge because to the club we are just whinging about everything all of the time.

• Like 2