Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Does anyone know why/how Rudkin is specifically and demonstrably bad at his job? 

Was appointed Director of Football in 2014, so under his tenure: 

• Great Escape
  • PL Champions
  • CL QFs
  • 2 more top 6 finishes
  • 2 more european campaigns
  • FA Cup win

I'm no fan of his or the hierarchy of the club, which have obviously and monumentally messed up - but just to play devil's advocate, why is Rudkin singled out or used as a scape goat, when he is potentially just as responsible for some of our greatest moments? 

Think it's because of plenty of transfer messups, including the Silva debacle and the contract situation has been gross negligence. He got the job with little qualification and was widely derided for his work in the academy. The off the field foundations were built by Pearson, pre-dating his involvement so whilst we can't see all the ins and outs of what he has done, he was the beneficiary of others work, that much we can see.

Your question isn't without merit but given he was riding on others' coat tails, the better question would be what he has done, with evidence, that says he is good at his job?

The fact Evans said he had a chat with him the day before the game is bizarre. What's he saying; 'sorry, no new contract for you'? Or trying to give extra motivation to a guy who's already checked out, and that's something the manager should be doing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Does anyone know why/how Rudkin is specifically and demonstrably bad at his job? 

• Great Escape
  • PL Champions
  • CL QFs
  • 2 more top 6 finishes
  • FA Cup win

I'm no fan of his or the hierarchy of the club, which have obviously and monumentally messed up - but just to play devil's advocate, why is Rudkin singled out or used as a scape goat, when he is potentially just as responsible as anyone else for some of our greatest moments? 

You missed out relegation 12 months after reaching a semi-final of a European competition.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Monk said:

It’s 4 days since the game, Southampton have known they were relegated much longer than we have. These things take time, well, at least more than 96 hours. 

If were to sack Rudkin, we won't - the sooner it happens the more advantageous it is

Southampton have done well with their hires.

I find their links to Man City interesting.

Their new owners are trying to set up their own version of City Group (buying lots of clubs) and in the last two seasons have hired a number of staff from Man City and brought in a number of players from there too. 

Wilcox coming in as DOF is a great move, 10 very successful years at Man City and has had a big say in hiring Martin.

They've also hired a head of performance who has multi sport experience which i think is a fantastic idea in terms of getting the best out of player fitness. 

Interesting reading the last DoF was sacked in December 2014 for poor recruitment, but the reasons for success are mostly attributed to Pearson. Its hard to really know what Rudkin has done well/badly. What I do know us we need fresh ideas. As seen with Rogers, something that is successful 2-3 years ago won't be successful forever, teams need to evolve and always be forward thinking.

Edited by Beachyboy

22 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

• Great Escape
  • PL Champions
  • CL QFs
  • 2 more top 6 finishes
  • FA Cup win

I'm no fan of his or the hierarchy of the club, which have obviously and monumentally messed up - but just to play devil's advocate, why is Rudkin singled out or used as a scape goat, when he is potentially just as responsible as anyone else for some of our greatest moments? 

He is Top’s advisor for all football matters such as contract renewals, signings and departures, managerial appointments and sackings.

1) He’s left us in a mess with the number of players leaving on a free this season and next season.

2) The wage structure has just ballooned out of control which is what has caused our FFP issues this season. 
3) He left it far too late to ring the alarm bells on our downward spiral under Brendan. It’s been widely reported that Rudkin had a very good relationship with Brendan which is one contributing factor for not sacking him sooner.

4) There’s been a clear lack of planning all round when it comes to both player and managerial successors which was evident from when we sacked Brendan.

5) He’s contributed to the relegation of the most expensive team in PL history by a long way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Monk said:

I’d imagine the calibre of candidate will be vastly different depending on what division we are in, and we didn’t know that until Sunday. 

Also many of these candidates will be currently employed and will be having discussions themselves. If you have two offers on the table from different clubs managers, DoFs, scouts etc still have to make the personal decision of what to choose, contracts need to done and compensation agreed. Key people in other clubs could be on holiday.

And some of the candidates may have been at clubs who had things to play for right up until the end too (eg Mark Robins). 

my point is - it’s not just about having the will to get things done, there are many factors in play. 

To be fair they were talking about planning an internal review after the season. You'd be hearing murmers online if people were being sounded out or it looked like people would be sacked. 

The fact that there's nothing at all coming out of the club, by that I mean rumours/leaks from the usual sources, tells me that we genuinely hadn't put any thought into it. 

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that top level aren't exactly the best planners and certainly not very good communicators.

Before you know it, it'll be a week since relegation and all we've seen is Top rolling around in a field and telling people how lucky we've been.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Southampton have done well with their hires.

I find their links to Man City interesting.

Their new owners are trying to set up their own version of City Group (buying lots of clubs) and in the last two seasons have hired a number of staff from Man City and brought in a number of players from there too. 

Wilcox coming in as DOF is a great move, 10 very successful years at Man City and has had a big say in hiring Martin.

They've also hired a head of performance who has multi sport experience which i think is a fantastic idea in terms of getting the best out of player fitness. 

Reminds me of last summer when every bigged-up Southampton transfer business.

Interesting that people are moaning about Rudlkin going from the Academy to DOF here, yet you are praising Southampton for taking Wilcox City’s Academy Director and making him a DOF. 

Are you Les -Ta -Jon Rudkin?  He has overseen one of the worst 12 months tge Club has experienced in recent history.  If he is not to blame, then wtf does he do at the Club? It is however a collective cock-up, that is for sure, so he is obviously not totally to blame.  Rogers and Congerton have moved out which is positive but surely the cull needs to be wider than this.  And in business, generally, it is the last set of results as opposed to history are what really counts.  That’s business.

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Reminds me of last summer when every bigged-up Southampton transfer business.

Interesting that people are moaning about Rudlkin going from the Academy to DOF here, yet you are praising Southampton for taking Wilcox City’s Academy Director and making him a DOF. 

I think the business they've done will be excellent long term, the problem was they didn't also sign 8 more experienced players to go with the 8 young ones! That was a mistake of their DOF and HOR at the time who they have now got rid of and replaced.... decisive action! Surely that's the key point? Similarly if Wilcox has a shit year I imagine they will bin him off.

That's all we're asking for, explanation as to why on earth people stay at this club for so bloody long, why do they have no ambition? No challenges put in front of them to test them. It's the comfiest club in the country lol 

Here's an example for you. When things were going amazingly, we were winning the league, FA Cup win, famed for our recruitment.... Rudkin, the comms director, Whelan, they'd have been getting job offers left right and centre from HUGE clubs. Why did none of them leave? Because they know how good they've got it here! 

Edited by AjcW

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think the business they've done will be excellent long term, the problem was they didn't also sign 8 more experienced players to go with the 8 young ones! That was a mistake of their DOF and HOR at the time who they have now got rid of and replaced.... decisive action! Surely that's the key point? Similarly if Wilcox has a shit year I imagine they will bin him off.

Rather the right action then just decisive.

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

That's all we're asking for, explanation as to why on earth people stay at this club for so bloody long, why do they have no ambition? No challenges put in front of them to test them. It's the comfiest club in the country lol 

Because for the 8 years before this one, we have been very successful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

How would everyone feel if Rudkin hired an actual DOF and stepped back to become more of a day-to-day liaison with Top?

Let's just say Rudkin was sacked today, whoever came in would have a mountain to climb learning about all of the contracts, players that are going, players that are coming in, setting a strategy for the future and getting a new manager. All in less than 90 days... that's not possible. He would have to work with someone for a bit before stepping down / back.

IMO he should go, but should help someone else take over and do the transition smoothly with them.

Not the worst idea but the issue is that he's been given all this power and is in the ear of Top, so can you see him relaying that messaging without conflating it with his own opinions?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

How would everyone feel if Rudkin hired an actual DOF and stepped back to become more of a day-to-day liaison with Top?

Let's just say Rudkin was sacked today, whoever came in would have a mountain to climb learning about all of the contracts, players that are going, players that are coming in, setting a strategy for the future and getting a new manager. All in less than 90 days... that's not possible. He would have to work with someone for a bit before stepping down / back.

IMO he should go, but should help someone else take over and do the transition smoothly with them.

No chance we change DOF at this point too much going on to bed in someone new. 

People are just being unrealistic.

I think your idea would be the best option. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Not the worst idea but the issue is that he's been given all this power and is in the ear of Top, so can you see him relaying that messaging without conflating it with his own opinions?

Yep that's the problem! But I think it's what we need to do...

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rudkin would hire a patsy, the man would never give up control, he's still never appointed a replacement for himself as director of the academy which I'm sure he would have said was a full time role before he became DOF as he wants the power

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah, was thinking the same. 

With the turnaround we need and the time we have to do it within, I think he stays for the short-term, with Glover perhaps stepping up into the DoF role. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is the only way we evolve towards where we want to be in the short term I reckon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ideally this is what should happen, however what should and what will are two different things. The blokes either got nudes of Top and Whelan havin a bunk up or he's wormed his way that far up Tops family Tree he now thinks hes the only one who Top can deal with! Top needs to get someone new in get Rudders to shadow him whilst he takes control then Top needs to get old jon to go n clear out the stables!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Rather the right action then just decisive.

Because for the 8 years before this one, we have been very successful. 

If I’m successful where I am for the next 4 years I fully expect people to come and offer me jobs and I’ll more than likely take up the offer/a new challenge! 

Just because you’re successful doesn’t justify staying put. Im not doubting their successes. Im asking why they haven’t seen fit to use that to their own personal advantage. There’s absolutely no ambition and most likely because there’s no pressure and they’re all very well paid without having to prove much to justify it anymore. 

Essentially, as even you have lauded to, a bunch of people dining out on a few years success… untouchable no matter what happens now. 

Edited by AjcW