Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

It's actually a joke. Up until we left for Asia we were getting updates pretty much every day.

Now it's been radio silence for the better part of a week. You just know Rudders set his business mail to auto-reply and his phone to silent while they're over there. 

In fact, why the ever flying fudge is he even in Thailand with the team. He's got a job to do and it's rather apparent that he's not doing it while he's away from home

Edited by MadsEmil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

The things Rudkin is being criticised for have no bearing on anything he might have contributed to the success. Maguire, Fofana and some of the other big transfers we've been told it was Whelan that had to handle negotiations so he can't even get any credit for us flipping huge profits.

He was responsible for failing to sell fringe players or players running their contracts down. He was ultimately responsible for the wages he's offered players, on average £94k a week. Yet despite all our issues last summer, the following January had the audacity to offer Jack Harrison north of £100k a week, we were in and around the relegation zone. It was astonishing.

The blokes got enough against his name as a DOF to have warranted being replaced ten fold, yet here we are.

Ever thought she got involved because she's the CEO and we're talking about the biggest deals in the clubs history and she has more say than he does to accept x, y, or z offer. He also signed them, again... gets blamed for duffers and no credit for players we've made huge profits on and he signed. 

Sorry, but this is absolute toss really. If a player doesn't want to sign, they don't want to sign. It's entirely out of his hands If they won't accept what's going to be a good offer... considering you slag off what he's offered to players. Also, if the manager signs a piece of shite, you expect Rudkin to magic up offers for players nobody actually wants? Even on the currently slashed contracts nobody wants these players!

You don't know our players are not on an average of £94k, I don't know why this needs going over again and again and again. The wages on the books includes ALL staff, part, full and occasional (700+ people), along with a multitude of bonuses and benefits in kind. 

• Like 2

A whole load of mistakes have been made, but I don't know to what extent Rudkin was responsible for them. Maybe there should have been more of an overhaul of the higher-ups, but that wouldn't be Rudkin's call, and I certainly don't know whether he was one of the good or the bad guys. I also suspect that, if ever there were a club for which an international tournament could get in the way of day-to-day operations, it's probably us. And yes, I imagine the DoF would - for many of our rivals - be back at home getting things over the line instead of shaking hands in Thailand. But would Rudkin be responsible for that, or his employer who's perpetually stood right next to him?

For balance, I also don't know to what extent Rudkin was responsible for some of our better historical dealings and decisions. If I had to guess, I'd say he was often the lone footballing voice in a room full of either few ideas, or entirely impractical ones, and that from a footballing perspective he deserves more credit than Vichai, Susan or Top (who have perhaps been spared some of the blame on here because it's easier to point fingers at managers or Rudkin.) But again, I don't know. 

And that's the point. We don't know. With a manager you have a tonne of information - interviews, team selections, the chance to watch them at work for an hour and a half every week, and subsequent results to measure against expectations. Judgements are tough for amateurs like me, but at least we have something concrete to go on. That doesn't apply when you don't know who in a busy boardroom - with doors jammed shut - has sanctioned what, or missed which deadline, or yelled 'hold fire' on sacking an underperforming boss.

Still, just as the buck stops with the manager for results, and not with Stowell or Toure or Sadler, equally the buck stops with the owner for whatever chaos he's presided over in the boardroom. When it's gone well, they'll lap up the credit, and when it's gone badly, they can be criticised. While I suspect Rudkin also has his case to answer, we simply don't have a clue how those dynamics work. So I don't understand the degree of certainty many people have that he, specifically, is our problem, when the only clear judgement we can make is that Top, and his team, have been less successful of late than they were in the past. I imagine Shipman would have loved for all the blame to fall on Bennett. And Elsom would have loved us to blame Neville. But if the issue is that the club is no longer well run, and the evidence is that fees aren't being spent and Rudkin spends too much time at the owner's side, then it's a bit of a stretch to say 'That guy! He's the one!' As if, like magic, he'll go away and it'll all be just swell.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

A whole load of mistakes have been made, but I don't know to what extent Rudkin was responsible for them. Maybe there should have been more of an overhaul of the higher-ups, but that wouldn't be Rudkin's call, and I certainly don't know whether he was one of the good or the bad guys. I also suspect that, if ever there were a club for which an international tournament could get in the way of day-to-day operations, it's probably us. And yes, I imagine the DoF would - for many of our rivals - be back at home getting things over the line instead of shaking hands in Thailand. But would Rudkin be responsible for that, or his employer who's perpetually stood right next to him?

For balance, I also don't know to what extent Rudkin was responsible for some of our better historical dealings and decisions. If I had to guess, I'd say he was often the lone footballing voice in a room full of either few ideas, or entirely impractical ones, and that from a footballing perspective he deserves more credit than Vichai, Susan or Top (who have perhaps been spared some of the blame on here because it's easier to point fingers at managers or Rudkin.) But again, I don't know. 

Balanced synopsis.

It is a collective responsibility for our relegation, it is not just one individual. There have been a number of glaring mistakes over the last couple of seasons and as DOF, Rudkin must take his fair share of the criticism and accountability.

My personal view is he should be at Seagrave focused solely on getting the signings we need over the line and, offloading players we don't want, for the new season. What we don't know is Top may have insisted he joins the tour in the Far East. Rudkin cannot refuse despite the poor optics.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Ever thought she got involved because she's the CEO and we're talking about the biggest deals in the clubs history and she has more say than he does to accept x, y, or z offer. He also signed them, again... gets blamed for duffers and no credit for players we've made huge profits on and he signed. 

Sorry, but this is absolute toss really. If a player doesn't want to sign, they don't want to sign. It's entirely out of his hands If they won't accept what's going to be a good offer... considering you slag off what he's offered to players. Also, if the manager signs a piece of shite, you expect Rudkin to magic up offers for players nobody actually wants? Even on the currently slashed contracts nobody wants these players!

You don't know our players are not on an average of £94k, I don't know why this needs going over again and again and again. The wages on the books includes ALL staff, part, full and occasional (700+ people), along with a multitude of bonuses and benefits in kind. 

Totally agree with all you say and am aware myself as to some things that have gone on, Rudkin basically is doing his job and is an easy target because his head is above the parapet so to speak perhaps some people should look higher up and target the man who owns the club for his unwavering backing of a manager who started to ruin this club the day he walked into the club !

Edited by Jono1604

1 minute ago, Philkeavo said:

Balanced synopsis.

It is a collective responsibility for our relegation, it is not just one individual. There have been a number of glaring mistakes over the last couple of seasons and as DOF, Rudkin must take his fair share of the criticism and accountability.

My personal view is he should be at Seagrave focused solely on getting the signings we need over the line and, offloading players we don't want, for the new season. What we don't know is Top may have insisted he joins the tour in the Far East. Rudkin cannot refuse despite the poor optics.

I suspect you're right, and there's no doubt that Rudkin will have his share of responsibility. I'm just not sure to what extent.

I totally understand the fans' sentiments regarding Rudkin. We've watched in disbelief as the club - and I know it's a cliché - sleepwalked into disaster. So it would have been a relief to see a high profile board member moved on. It would have indicated real change, which is clearly needed, and it hasn't happened. I just feel we don't have enough information to be sure that Rudkin is the 'serpent's head' that everyone is looking for.

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is the thing I hate the most about the club. Others have said it, but we are treated as customers, not fans. Even as customers, we aren't treated very well! The open day with the fans is a start, but it's way too "us and them" with the club, and it stinks.

In addition:

1. They don’t give a flying fvck that we don’t like it, and
  2. It’s never going to change with the current incumbents

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I suspect you're right, and there's no doubt that Rudkin will have his share of responsibility. I'm just not sure to what extent.

I totally understand the fans' sentiments regarding Rudkin. We've watched in disbelief as the club - and I know it's a cliché - sleepwalked into disaster. So it would have been a relief to see a high profile board member moved on. It would have indicated real change, which is clearly needed, and it hasn't happened. I just feel we don't have enough information to be sure that Rudkin is the 'serpent's head' that everyone is looking for.

Too true.

Rudkin was here when we won the Premier League and FA Cup. He’s also still here when we were relegated so which way do we turn in an assessment of his ability? 

Just as when we were successful it was collective responsibility - it’s the same now. I really don’t think it’s as simple as blaming one individual. Brendan has gone so another focus for our anger is needed. 

My personal theory is a lot has happened since we won the league. The owner died, the pandemic happened and lots of other clubs got major investment. Our owners were the very top of the table when they first arrived, but more recently there has been stagnation (Whelan, Rudkin etc staying in charge), lack of investment (maybe necessitated by Covid) and a reduction in enthusiasm (it doesn’t seem as high as when Vichai was involved). 

We’ve paid the price and it might take a succession of things to put it right: new owners or new investment? Change of boardroom? Off pitch innovation?
Rudkin going might well be part of the solution but, in my view, it would only be a very small part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Too true.

Rudkin was here when we won the Premier League and FA Cup. He’s also still here when we were relegated so which way do we turn in an assessment of his ability? 

Just as when we were successful it was collective responsibility - it’s the same now. I really don’t think it’s as simple as blaming one individual. Brendan has gone so another focus for our anger is needed. 

My personal theory is a lot has happened since we won the league. The owner died, the pandemic happened and lots of other clubs got major investment. Our owners were the very top of the table when they first arrived, but more recently there has been stagnation (Whelan, Rudkin etc staying in charge), lack of investment (maybe necessitated by Covid) and a reduction in enthusiasm (it doesn’t seem as high as when Vichai was involved). 

We’ve paid the price and it might take a succession of things to put it right: new owners or new investment? Change of boardroom? Off pitch innovation?
Rudkin going might well be part of the solution but, in my view, it would only be a very small part. 

Totally agree. The last thing I'd want to be is an apologist for the mess they've presided over. It just seems counter-productive and unrealistic to be so certain that one individual is responsible. I understand why the 'blame game' is in full swing, of course, but if things go wrong again and there are people who think 'we can pacify them by changing the DoF' you might end up with a solution which isn't a solution at all.

Simply put, I don't think we know anywhere near enough to pinpoint the source of the problem. But yeah, there's definitely a problem, or a series of interconnected ones. And there's always the sneaking suspicion that they haven't been addressed and will resurface at some point fairly soon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The things Rudkin is being criticised for have no bearing on anything he might have contributed to the success. Maguire, Fofana and some of the other big transfers we've been told it was Whelan that had to handle negotiations so he can't even get any credit for us flipping huge profits.

He was responsible for failing to sell fringe players or players running their contracts down. He was ultimately responsible for the wages he's offered players, on average £94k a week. Yet despite all our issues last summer, the following January had the audacity to offer Jack Harrison north of £100k a week, we were in and around the relegation zone. It was astonishing.

The blokes got enough against his name as a DOF to have warranted being replaced ten fold, yet here we are.

in other news ric, when's the next podcast going out? always great viewing:appl:

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Too true.

Agree with the majority of that.

My only input would be that Rudkin is heavily involved now with KP Racing, which Top has assigned him.

Is LCFC is main priority now? Top is spreading him fairly thin so somethings got to give.

I am slightly concerned for this season if i am honest.

• Like 1

In the post Pearson era we have only really had one good transfer window (2015 incomings were targets identified under Pearson) , which was the 2018 one (and it was excellent). To only have 1 good transfer window in about 14 is a poor record by any means, we're lucky that we were able to sell mahrez and maguire for huge sums, otherwise all the failed transfers would have weighed us down much sooner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jono1604 said:

Totally agree with all you say and am aware myself as to some things that have gone on, Rudkin basically is doing his job and is an easy target because his head is above the parapet so to speak perhaps some people should look higher up and target the man who owns the club for his unwavering backing of a manager who started to ruin this club the day he walked into the club !

His head is never above the parapet tho is it. How often do you see him speak, do an interview. Often you will see a director of football sat next to a new signing saying how glad there are to get him through the door. Our club as mentioned is so secretive.

For whatever use the FFC meetings are not once as he been sat there on the panel when I've been. Not once have we been able to ask him what direction the club are taking or what the plan is and how joined up is set up at Seagrave.

He just never speaks and stands 2 yards away from Top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

He has to be thinking "what the **** have I done".

Needs this to be a success giving his tenure at Parma and has ended up here. 

My hope is Enzo has the balls to speak with Top and say he needs a better DOF. The fact Rudkin wasn’t involved in interviews speaks volumes.

13 hours ago, Daggers said:

You’ve been told, Rudders

IMG_3257.jpeg

Another green flag. I'd love him to kick up enough of a fuss to put Rudkin under real scrutiny at long last. Given his managerial career hinges on this job being a success, there is a chance.

17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Too true.

The most recent. In any job, you can over-perform and under-perform or anywhere in between.

If our downfall wasn’t so spectacular, maybe the League and FA Cup could be weighed against the downturn. However it’s on a magnitude that needs addressing fully.

I’m not saying it’s solely Rudkin’s fault, but a portion of many other’s failings also land at his door as he’s likely had a large hand in finding and employing them.