Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

29 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It applies to an awful lot of people at this club. 

If I apply it to someone in a similar role to me, if i'm Anthony Herlihy, I should be working for City group by now, or a massive European side.

Handling comms through our greatest success, and then writing THAT press release after our greatest tragedy, he would have been batting off offers left right and centre! I don't think it's any surprise our comms with fans has been utterly shocking for the last 3 years or so, he's gone stale in the role and looks very much as comfortable as part of the KP group as the likes of Rudkin and Susan.

Same applies for Susan too, she has more of an affiliation to KP through her own work and her husbands company designing their retail stores, but still, she's high up on the Premier League representation boards and you'd think she'd have been offered a few roles over the years!

I'm all for great places to work and staying with employers you love, but the lack of change in our senior leadership team over the last 8 years is frightening. 

I agree - a natural churn and moving forward requires new people and new ideas. No organisation stays at the top or near the top by keeping everyone forever. Yes you need to retain people over a period of time, but things get stale - it’s just a fact of life. A good general rule of thumb in most aspects of life is the longer something goes on the shitter it gets.

There are clearly certain individuals who are continuing to live off old periods of success, and have clearly been here for too long.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It applies to an awful lot of people at this club. 

If I apply it to someone in a similar role to me, if i'm Anthony Herlihy, I should be working for City group by now, or a massive European side.

Handling comms through our greatest success, and then writing THAT press release after our greatest tragedy, he would have been batting off offers left right and centre! I don't think it's any surprise our comms with fans has been utterly shocking for the last 3 years or so, he's gone stale in the role and looks very much as comfortable as part of the KP group as the likes of Rudkin and Susan.

Same applies for Susan too, she has more of an affiliation to KP through her own work and her husbands company designing their retail stores, but still, she's high up on the Premier League representation boards and you'd think she'd have been offered a few roles over the years!

I'm all for great places to work and staying with employers you love, but the lack of change in our senior leadership team over the last 8 years is frightening. 

Well rounded up 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

If the last 2 weeks are any reflection on the last 2 years. How the hell Rudkin is still in position begs belief. He must have some sort of hold on power. 

...he is Khun Tops' wingman!!!

Is that Khun Tops' so introverted that he needs to have Rudkin by his side, we are all debating that scouting and looking into players can and will be done irrespective of where he is in the world, but at least give a professional image and stay back to oversee the process. You can instruct your teams to do certain things and set deadlines, but it is so much more different when you are in the building giving people directions.

• Like 1

If Top had any clue he’d have insisted Rudkin stayed at home instead of being 5 or 6 hours ahead of most of Europe.

Should have been a total reset of the culture in the summer, just graft but no we’re off gallivanting with our heads in the clouds.

On 26/07/2023 at 14:04, Jobyfox said:

Too true.

Rudkin was here when we won the Premier League and FA Cup. He’s also still here when we were relegated so which way do we turn in an assessment of his ability? 

Just as when we were successful it was collective responsibility - it’s the same now. I really don’t think it’s as simple as blaming one individual. Brendan has gone so another focus for our anger is needed. 

My personal theory is a lot has happened since we won the league. The owner died, the pandemic happened and lots of other clubs got major investment. Our owners were the very top of the table when they first arrived, but more recently there has been stagnation (Whelan, Rudkin etc staying in charge), lack of investment (maybe necessitated by Covid) and a reduction in enthusiasm (it doesn’t seem as high as when Vichai was involved). 

We’ve paid the price and it might take a succession of things to put it right: new owners or new investment? Change of boardroom? Off pitch innovation?
Rudkin going might well be part of the solution but, in my view, it would only be a very small part. 

Excellent post Jobyfox.

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of self reflection from all of them, and correcting mistakes. See previous with the buy out clauses in contracts, an error we never made again. 

Admitting we got ahead of ourselves in terms of wages or revenue chasing the dream. 

Admitting we gave a manager too much power to change set structures within the club.

Admitting we were wrong to not act quicker (despite me understanding their reasoning, I don't agree with it). 

• Like 2

The signing of poor players on fat lengthy contracts is going to hamper us for some time yet and still no accountability regarding those responsible 

I imagine the publicised review by the football top brass will amount to something like this 

image.thumb.png.b7a50957e530981122e9b2a0af21bcaf.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

lol Director of football for a 100m+ turnover football club is slightly different to graphic design or print - I can’t remember what you do. 

This is a club where we spent c. £20m on a player and couldn’t register him in time. With the amount of business we have to do, the man confirmed as responsible for handling contracts should be able to meet players and their agents.

I don’t care about Arsenal, their trajectory is different to ours. They don’t have the squad depth issues we have.

It's not different, work is work. I take phone calls, emails, complete projects and guess what... do meetings via zoom as many are done now. Being in a time zone doesn't stop you doing the vast majority of it, and IF he needs to get back the owners have a private jet than can get him back here quick sharp. The reality is, you are just looking for something to moan about and are losing all common sense. 

What does the Silva transfer have to do with anything? Are we close to transfer deadline day?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The signing of poor players on fat lengthy contracts is going to hamper us for some time yet and still no accountability regarding those responsible 

I imagine the publicised review by the football top brass will amount to something like this 

image.thumb.png.b7a50957e530981122e9b2a0af21bcaf.png

Those mostly responsible are no longer at the club, so what do you suggest?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's not different, work is work. I take phone calls, emails, complete projects and guess what... do meetings via zoom as many are done now. Being in a time zone doesn't stop you doing the vast majority of it, and IF he needs to get back the owners have a private jet than can get him back here quick sharp. The reality is, you are just looking for something to moan about and are losing all common sense. 

What does the Silva transfer have to do with anything? Are we close to transfer deadline day?

Your work doesn’t include medicals (yes I know Rudkin doesn’t do them personally before you get so flippant), multimillion pound deals, agents, international clearance and so on.

Yes you can do these things via zoom but getting a deal over the line works better in person instead of constant back-and-forths.

The Adrien Silva fiasco (under Rudkin’s regime) shows that deals aren’t easy and are probably a bureaucratic nightmare, even without the deadline day pressure. Being GMT +6 obviously isn’t helpful.

But yeah I’m just looking to moan at things as the club is having consecutive summers asleep at the wheel.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Those mostly responsible are no longer at the club, so what do you suggest?

Depends whether you hold the DoF ultimately accountable for the failings rather than just those further down the chain. I would 

The clue to that was the title of the thread in which I posted 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

23 minutes ago, Stadt said:

You work doesn’t include medicals (yes I know Rudkin doesn’t do them personally before you get so flippant), multimillion pound deals, agents, international clearance and so on.

Yes you can do these things via zoom but getting a deal over the line works better in person instead of constant back-and-forths.

The Adrien Silva fiasco (under Rudkin’s regime) shows that deals aren’t easy and a probably a bureaucratic nightmare, even without the deadline day pressure. Being GMT +6 obviously isn’t helpful.

But yeah I’m just looking to moan at things as the club is having consecutive summers asleep at the wheel.

The only thing he can't do is meet someone in person, and even then he can get back in half a day if he really had to. 

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The only thing he can't do is meet someone in person, and even then he can get back in half a day if he really had to. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

The DoF should have his ear to the ground and move quickly with incomings and outgoings. What do we gain with him in another continent?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The DoF should have his ear to the ground and move quickly with incomings and outgoings. What do we gain with him in another continent?

He's agreed a hybrid working contract with his current employer. 

Is it coincidence that the whole circus, including the clowns, went on this SE Asia Tour and during that time no transfers in or out of the club have occurred, other than Barnes who was already lined up to move to Newcastle before they went.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Is it coincidence that the whole circus, including the clowns, went on this SE Asia Tour and during that time no transfers in or out of the club have occurred, other than Barnes who was already lined up to move to Newcastle before they went.

Despite what other people might try and have you believe it is entirely not a coincidence. 

We are just badly run no matter how many people try and excuse the fact. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Of all the things that would worry me, the logistics of Rudkin being in Thailand must be among the most insignificant.

However I do understand one argument, and it's pretty much the same reason you see politicians racing to the scene of a disaster when recovery crews probably have more important work to do than a PR call. Or why people demand that the PM come back to London if the banks have a bad day. It's not as if any of it's necessary in the modern world, it's because they feel the need to give the impression that it's 'all hands to the pump'.

The fact that we didn't feel the need to bow to admittedly pointless PR norms (coinciding, as the trip did, with such a period of flux and yet, at the same time, stalled recruitment) could be seen as the club being unaware of the need to be seen to be focused on the right priorities. If you add Top's statement to that, I can understand why people might think 'are they still unaware of the severity of this?' So maybe it wouldn't have hurt for them to dress it all up in a way which was more reassuring to those people.

As silly as seems to you or me, if things start slowly - and they're likely to, because as nigh-on-impossible as it is to overhaul a squad in six weeks, we're still a long way short - then this will be used against them. Indeed, there's a great many more concrete accusations that they may need to answer if things go awry (from the appointment of an inexperienced manager to the tardiness on their part which brought us here in the first place). If lessons have been learned, I'm not sure they needed to leave this particular door open.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Of all the things that would worry me, the logistics of Rudkin being in Thailand must be among the most insignificant.

However I do understand one argument, and it's pretty much the same reason you see politicians racing to the scene of a disaster when recovery crews probably have more important work to do than a PR call. Or why people demand that the PM come back to London if the banks have a bad day. It's not as if any of it's necessary in the modern world, it's because they feel the need to give the impression that it's 'all hands to the pump'.

The fact that we didn't feel the need to bow to admittedly pointless PR norms (coinciding, as the trip did, with such a period of flux and yet, at the same time, stalled recruitment) could be seen as the club being unaware of the need to be seen to be focused on the right priorities. If you add Top's statement to that, I can understand why people might think 'are they still unaware of the severity of this?' So maybe it wouldn't have hurt for them to dress it all up in a way which was more reassuring to those people.

As silly as seems to you or me, if things start slowly - and they're likely to, because as nigh-on-impossible as it is to overhaul a squad in six weeks, we're still a long way short - then this will be used against them. Indeed, there's a great many more concrete accusations that they may need to answer if things go awry (from the appointment of an inexperienced manager to the tardiness on their part which brought us here in the first place). If lessons have been learned, I'm not sure they needed to leave this particular door open.

That's fair, if they gave two monkeys what the fans thought of how they handle things, I'm not sure they do though. 

23 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Building a relationship with his new manager face go face, discussing needs, wants, targets etc. If these things can't be done well remotely as you suggest, then it's important for him to be there and be present and seen as active by his new manager. There is more to do there, compared to transfers which won't reach face to face stage until an offer is even accepted. 

• Like 1