Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

All this dwelling in the past regarding transfers etc serves no purpose.

We won the league then tried to keep up there by spending money that our turnover couldn’t sustain due to FFP.

It seems the new manager is bringing the players he wants in and maybe the same was true of Rodgers and there lies the problem.

Three or four dodgy signings later and we have blown it with no way back. Any team like Villa, Palace, Brentford who chase the dream can never compete and like us FFP will stop them in their tracks. Only Newcastle can buck the trend and we know how dodgy that situation is.

We tend to blame Rudkin for everything but it’s not as straightforward as that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

All this dwelling in the past regarding transfers etc serves no purpose.

We won the league then tried to keep up there by spending money that our turnover couldn’t sustain due to FFP.

It seems the new manager is bringing the players he wants in and maybe the same was true of Rodgers and there lies the problem.

Three or four dodgy signings later and we have blown it with no way back. Any team like Villa, Palace, Brentford who chase the dream can never compete and like us FFP will stop them in their tracks. Only Newcastle can buck the trend and we know how dodgy that situation is.

We tend to blame Rudkin for everything but it’s not as straightforward as that.

Yeah with FFP and if you dont have a owner with a open cheque book, you need to have high quality scouting to sustain it as well as good staff who can keep the best players to signing new contracts even if they leave soon after.

Although we sold Mahrez, Maguire, Fofana, we at least kept Mahrez playing for us for some more seasons, and the guys renewing kept their fee's up.

Did our above our station wages ever help us? only the club knows, as some of the good players we signed may not have done so otherwise, but in the end it wasnt enough to get tielemans, barnes and maddison to extend their contracts and crippled us transfer wise.

Edited by Chrysalis

21 minutes ago, wigstonboues said:

I'm surprised everyone has backed down and letting this incompetent weasel get away with his power trip.

I've never heard anyone say a good word about him right back from his academy days. 

Rudkin is a virus that's slowly eroding the good that vichai achieved for us. 

Are you sure about not hearing a good word? Theres a sizeable contingent on here willing to lay their lives down for the bloke. 

7 hours ago, wigstonboues said:

I'm surprised everyone has backed down and letting this incompetent weasel get away with his power trip.

I've never heard anyone say a good word about him right back from his academy days. 

Rudkin is a virus that's slowly eroding the good that vichai achieved for us. 

I think most of the forum agrees with you, I agree if its confirmed its him making the poor decisions and dragging his feet.  I appeared to be his bodyguard earlier in the thread, far from it, my issue was just I think there could be others to blame as well.

But I think the way this thread has gone because we have being winning games, when that happens people rant less.

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I think most of the forum agrees with you, I agree if its confirmed its him making the poor decisions and dragging his feet.  I appeared to be his bodyguard earlier in the thread, far from it, my issue was just I think there could be others to blame as well.

But I think the way this thread has gone because we have being winning games, when that happens people rant less.

Two things. 

You said 'if'. 

The other thing is... Should we listen to those that rant when they're not getting their way? 

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Well so far for the busy August, it's 0 in and 0 out. Half way through it.

Something tells me he's not getting us the 5 players we supposedly want.

Yeah, this is even worse than I thought it would be in the required in's and outs needed with just half of August left. Potentially there's 9-10 players who are free to leave and 4-5 Maresca wants in.

Absolutely no chance, the club are incapable of it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, this is even worse than I thought it would be in the required in's and outs needed with just half of August left. Potentially there's 9-10 players who are free to leave and 4-5 Maresca wants in.

Absolutely no chance, the club are incapable of it.

85% of the window gone, around 45% of the ins / outs we should've done completed. But entirely predictable. We may go up due to Maresca and the level of quality we have left in the squad but it's only going to serve to paper over the cracks at the club even if it is what's necessary. There'll be people on here saying focus on the fact we're winning but this sort of shit does matter - anybody worth their salt isn't going to persist with the club in the long run when it's this broken behind the scenes.

The clock is ticking. Said it when Sambiasso said five signings to come a few weeks ago - three maximum. I'll wait here and see how this ages.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Totally agree.

We've 10 players out of contract next summer and the realisation that departures only occur en masse via free transfers is once again highly likely. The hundreds of millions lost and the diminishing squad value is a worry.

I look at this squad and if we don't go up I do fear for us. We've very few obvious assets, I'd really hoped we'd have been able to permanently sign a few unproven but high potential young players whom provide that possibility of big value which clubs like ourselves rely on.

I also wonder how Maresca maintains a tight unity if and when the players he's clearly marginalised in an attempt to force club and player in to getting rid of them and some of them failing to move on. 

I understand the difficulty in moving fringe players or high earners early in the window as many clubs wait and wait to try and get them when the selling club are desperate but this is beggars belief. We've sold Maddison and Barnes early, which I'd hoped was to give us the freedom to negotiate sensibly for the likes of Castagne, Soumare, Ndidi, Praet etc and not ask for unreasonable transfer fees.

Several weeks on and we have still only sold George Hirst in addition. The numbers don't lie, look back in the last 4-5 years and you'll see the sheer lack of players we've obtained a fee for (especially for players we no longer want for whatever reason). We are the worst performing club in that regard of those who've been a rival by a country mile. 

We also seem averse to recruiting players on free transfers either, so in an era where huge swathes of players are leaving us when their contracts expire for nothing, we don't seem interested or able to fill some of the squad gaps with appropriate players who've left their previous clubs. Actually, I apologise I've forgotten the academy rejects from Aston Villa we collect.

Curiously it's players such as Zach Awe whom we were linked with and whom has the potential to be a PL player in future that we don't seem to pursue seriously enough. We're possibly a centre half light and he'd have been a useful addition. Instead we'll keep hold of the likes of Vestergaard who wants out but seemingly won't leave for whatever reason and we'll suffer the lack of desire as he runs his contract down and leaves for nothing come next summer.

The frustrating thing with Jannick is, he's one of the few players we have accepted a bid for in the past but he rejected it. I suppose this comes back to Maresca's ploy to exclude players he wants moving on, if they don't then we're left with a bunch of footballers whom we're unlikely to get any meaningful contribution out of, this happened under Rodgers and was our downfall. 

The club simply have to do better in this regard, if they have to cut their losses more aggressively then so be it, especially when the alternative is the players pick up their wages any way year on year and leave for nothing at the end of it. Many of which contribute little in that period that could be argued was the benefit of doing so.

Over to you Jon, you've 10-15 deals to complete. I predict about 6.

Good post, I do think our problem with shifting players out is we have a too high expectation of what we can get for them, we need to be prepared to take financial losses on players, its better than keeping players around that are not going to be used.

• Like 2

Guest Sideshow Faes
6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Totally agree.

We've 10 players out of contract next summer and the realisation that departures only occur en masse via free transfers is once again highly likely. The hundreds of millions lost and the diminishing squad value is a worry.

I look at this squad and if we don't go up I do fear for us. We've very few obvious assets, I'd really hoped we'd have been able to permanently sign a few unproven but high potential young players whom provide that possibility of big value which clubs like ourselves rely on.

I also wonder how Maresca maintains a tight unity if and when the players he's clearly marginalised in an attempt to force club and player in to getting rid of them and some of them failing to move on. 

I understand the difficulty in moving fringe players or high earners early in the window as many clubs wait and wait to try and get them when the selling club are desperate but this is beggars belief. We've sold Maddison and Barnes early, which I'd hoped was to give us the freedom to negotiate sensibly for the likes of Castagne, Soumare, Ndidi, Praet etc and not ask for unreasonable transfer fees.

Several weeks on and we have still only sold George Hirst in addition. The numbers don't lie, look back in the last 4-5 years and you'll see the sheer lack of players we've obtained a fee for (especially for players we no longer want for whatever reason). We are the worst performing club in that regard of those who've been a rival by a country mile. 

We also seem averse to recruiting players on free transfers either, so in an era where huge swathes of players are leaving us when their contracts expire for nothing, we don't seem interested or able to fill some of the squad gaps with appropriate players who've left their previous clubs. Actually, I apologise I've forgotten the academy rejects from Aston Villa we collect.

Curiously it's players such as Zach Awe whom we were linked with and whom has the potential to be a PL player in future that we don't seem to pursue seriously enough. We're possibly a centre half light and he'd have been a useful addition. Instead we'll keep hold of the likes of Vestergaard who wants out but seemingly won't leave for whatever reason and we'll suffer the lack of desire as he runs his contract down and leaves for nothing come next summer.

The frustrating thing with Jannick is, he's one of the few players we have accepted a bid for in the past but he rejected it. I suppose this comes back to Maresca's ploy to exclude players he wants moving on, if they don't then we're left with a bunch of footballers whom we're unlikely to get any meaningful contribution out of, this happened under Rodgers and was our downfall. 

The club simply have to do better in this regard, if they have to cut their losses more aggressively then so be it, especially when the alternative is the players pick up their wages any way year on year and leave for nothing at the end of it. Many of which contribute little in that period that could be argued was the benefit of doing so.

Over to you Jon, you've 10-15 deals to complete. I predict about 6.

We continually make poor decisions.

Some might be down to us giving people too much money to join so we then can't shift them. But others, like Choudhury, we actively extended his contract a year or so ago as if we thought we'd magically be able to sell him and make money. We should have sold him for £2m at the time. Maybe he'll do a job for us this year from the bench but at that point we were top end of the prem and he wasn't getting any games. We don't seem to ever let anybody go for less than some ott price when it would save us to just let them leave

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

142 arrivals in the Championship, 5.9 per club.

We've had 5 in and lost 11.

Doesn't really matter what happens everywhere else.

We needed a big clear out and a big rebuild and it hasn't really happened. 

That said - I think all of our signings have been very positive.

8 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Doesn't really matter what happens everywhere else.

We needed a big clear out and a big rebuild and it hasn't really happened. 

That said - I think all of our signings have been very positive.

We needed a rebuild last summer and we signed 2 players, a 3rd choice GK and a replacement. We didn't have one. We signed 2 permanently in January. We lost 10 in the summer.

To have signed fewer players than average is concerning given the task our backroom staff have at hand. Up to now Enzo has done a sterling job playing the hand he's been dealt, our transfer dithering might cost us promotion.

• Like 2

I appreciate transfers are a complex round of negotiations, waiting for other transfers to fall in place etc. But I would love a q and a evening at the KP, where Rudders had to answer questions about the successes and short coming of the transfer window. I'm not advocating a wild west free for all, but a sensible, compared evening where he is at least accountable for his actions. Whilst it's likely he would be very evasive, I'd love to understand more about his role and maybe some explanations on where things have gone wrong, not only with transfers but FFP, salary structure, players running contracts down etc.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

I appreciate transfers are a complex round of negotiations, waiting for other transfers to fall in place etc. But I would love a q and a evening at the KP, where Rudders had to answer questions about the successes and short coming of the transfer window. I'm not advocating a wild west free for all, but a sensible, compared evening where he is at least accountable for his actions. Whilst it's likely he would be very evasive, I'd love to understand more about his role and maybe some explanations on where things have gone wrong, not only with transfers but FFP, salary structure, players running contracts down etc.

Like getting blood out of stone except you don't know where the stone is, where it could possibly be or why we even need the stone.

47 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We needed a rebuild last summer and we signed 2 players, a 3rd choice GK and a replacement. We didn't have one. We signed 2 permanently in January. We lost 10 in the summer.

To have signed fewer players than average is concerning given the task our backroom staff have at hand. Up to now Enzo has done a sterling job playing the hand he's been dealt, our transfer dithering might cost us promotion.

I agree, but I'm pretty pleased with the signing so far, on what I've seen. 

But we do need a busy few weeks!