Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Rudkin

On 02/09/2023 at 23:50, cityfanlee23 said:

I think Rudkin has taken the first steps in rebuilding some sort of reputation. He's still heavily in debt in my eyes for his performance over the past couple of years, but since Enzo has come in, I think Rudkin has signed off on some very good deals. We've signed some real quality and experience in Winks and Coady and bought a lot of hungry youth in. We do still have the Saudi/Turkish leagues open for another week so hopefully we can do some deals to move on some of the remaining players that are not in Enzo's plans. 
A really long way to go for Rudkin, but I think generally we've seen good value and some low risk signings with huge upside potential. Credit where due. 

In - 
Winks (27) £10m
Cannon (20) £7.5m
Coady (30) £7.5m
Mavididi (25) £6.5m
Hermansen (23) £5m
Akgun (23) 
casadei (20)
Doyle (19)
Fatawu (19)

Out - 
Maddison
Barnes
Castagne
Hirst
Kristiansen
Soumare
Thomas

Normally I'd say it was harsh on someone to say every success is nothing to do with them and every failure is everything to do with them. But in Rudkin's case I see nothing but every reason to believe this is exactly what's happened. Absolute fraud. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

All very quiet?

Looks like Rudders has dug us out again!

what are you expecting? the most public part of his job is done until January all his stuff now is around lining up signings and contracts

42 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

what are you expecting? the most public part of his job is done until January all his stuff now is around lining up signings and contracts

Thought he might get a few pats on the back , rather than the usual knives,that all.

Good managerial appointment a few decent signings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Thought he might get a few pats on the back , rather than the usual knives,that all.

Good managerial appointment a few decent signings.

There were rumours he he didn't want Enzo and the interview was done without him? 

And Head of Recruitment surely gets credit for the signings

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Does finding the right manager to get a tune out of a squad with a bigger wage budget than 9 teams in the Premier League, after being responsible for the most catastrophic and embarrassing relegation in Premier League history, fall under deserving of praise? Does it ****.

Taken in isolation, of course it does, but any individual should only be judged as a summation of their achievements and failures I would argue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Does finding the right manager to get a tune out of a squad with a bigger wage budget than 9 teams in the Premier League, after being responsible for the most catastrophic and embarrassing relegation in Premier League history, fall under deserving of praise? Does it ****.

When Nigel Pearson comes in and sorts out a club heading the way of Mel Morris' Derby, or 8th choice Ranieri wins us the Premier League, it's very easy to hand out free donuts and beer and make the world think you're all the special family club full of masterminds. When shit hits the fan and you undo everything so spectacularly and then ignore your whole fanbase to the point of utter contempt, not so much.

Rudkin can ****ing do one.

This post totally proves my point.

Basically he is responsible for the "the most catastrophic and embarrassing relegation in Premier League history" but other people are responsible for the huge amounts of success we have had during his time here like the Premier league win, fa cup win and 3 go's at Europe. 

People seem to want to cherry pick what he is and isn't responsible for to suit their own agenda. If your going to judge him negatively or positively then you have to look at his work during the whole of his time here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

When Nigel Pearson comes in and sorts out a club heading the way of Mel Morris' Derby, or 8th choice Ranieri wins us the Premier League, it's very easy to hand out free donuts and beer and make the world think you're all the special family club full of masterminds. When shit hits the fan and you undo everything so spectacularly and then ignore your whole fanbase to the point of utter contempt, not so much.

Rudkin can ****ing do one.

With you on that. Like any business, It's easy to sit athe the top when everything is going well. All the employees  are working hard. Money is rolling in and everything is hunky dory the business looks after itself. When times get hard and and ,profits tight, not winning that's when the top guys earn their corn. Tough decisions  have to be made for the company and he failed dramatically  last season. I also stick top in the blame bracket as he should have been asking questions  and asking why things are as they are. Maybe he has got things right this season now his little boys club of him,Rogers and congerton have been split. Time will be the big teller. Ask again the end of next season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I'm saying that he probably has picked Maresca. I'd argue the logic you're applying to critics of Rudkin is the exact logic the owners apply to Rudkin. I think they've accredited far too much to him and overlooked all of his awful failures.

He should have been sacked. Simple as that. 

Not enough has been made of how awful the club was with us as fans last season. We had no communication of what was going on, bar Top's programme notes that probably aren't even his words. Then we got his petulant statement at the end of the season after 2 years of us all seeing exactly what was coming.

So yeah, Rudkin probably did pick Maresca. But you don't credit someone for finding a hose pipe if they started the house fire do you?

I actually do agree with some of this. I used to work for a football club and the director of football gave interviews every couple of months and did an annual q and a with the fans. It meant there's transparency and accountability.

We get none of that. I think part of the abuse Rudkin gets is because there is a complete vacuum of information and it allows people people to presume or out right make stuff up. Hence the he didn't hire Enzo theories. 

I disagree with you that the owners overlook his failures I get the impression that he is the owners right hand man so his failures are the owners failures. But people don't want to blame top or talk about him to harshly because it's an unpopular opinion amongst most of the fan base and because of all the shared history and unlike Rudkin you can not understate or belittle the impact they have had on the club. 

18 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I actually do agree with some of this. I used to work for a football club and the director of football gave interviews every couple of months and did an annual q and a with the fans. It meant there's transparency and accountability.

We get none of that. I think part of the abuse Rudkin gets is because there is a complete vacuum of information and it allows people people to presume or out right make stuff up. Hence the he didn't hire Enzo theories. 

I disagree with you that the owners overlook his failures I get the impression that he is the owners right hand man so his failures are the owners failures. But people don't want to blame top or talk about him to harshly because it's an unpopular opinion amongst most of the fan base and because of all the shared history and unlike Rudkin you can not understate or belittle the impact they have had on the club. 

I agree it's very much on Top. Like I alluded to earlier, the successes the club have had have not been from amazing ownership. Yes, we couldn't have done anything without them and they will always be legends. But the successes come from Nigel Pearson and his staff initially. The same Nigel Pearson they'd made sure left the club before they come in. Then their 2 appointments were that bad, they had to go and get him back before we'd have basically done a Derby and got a points deduction. The Premier League success that followed was under Ranieri. Ranieri who was very low on a list of potential appointments. It's hard to say any of that is amazing work from the Director of Football or owners. We didn't even spend much. It was all done on zero net spend which eventually caught up with us.

It's very easy to get sucked in to this media narrative that we were this incredible club to aspire to with masterminds at the helm. But so much of it wasn't like that. It's an unpopular opinion to have and it doesn't mean I'm ignoring the fact they are the reason we have achieved all of this, but let's not kid ourselves it was all some masterplan. 

When talking about Rudkin deserving "Credit" for winning the Prem, it's worth remembering he didn't become Director of Football until half way through the Great Escape season. So the managerial appointment of Pearson and his backroom staff, and the signings of:

Schmeichel

Morgan

Simpson

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Mahrez

Vardy

Ulloa

Wasyl

All pre-date his time in the DoF hotseat.

In the interest of balance,

Ranieri

Huth

Kramaric

Okazaki

Fuchs

Kante

Gray

Amartey

Nathan Dyer

Inler

YB29

all arrived during his tenure

Edited by orangecity23

9 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Not enough has been made of how awful the club was with us as fans last season. We had no communication of what was going on, bar Top's programme notes that probably aren't even his words.

I’m sorry but what exactly are you expecting? The money situation was explained, but people just choose to ignore it. So what other statements were you wanting exactly?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I agree it's very much on Top. Like I alluded to earlier, the successes the club have had have not been from amazing ownership. Yes, we couldn't have done anything without them and they will always be legends. But the successes come from Nigel Pearson and his staff initially. The same Nigel Pearson they'd made sure left the club before they come in. Then their 2 appointments were that bad, they had to go and get him back before we'd have basically done a Derby and got a points deduction. The Premier League success that followed was under Ranieri. Ranieri who was very low on a list of potential appointments. It's hard to say any of that is amazing work from the Director of Football or owners. We didn't even spend much. It was all done on zero net spend which eventually caught up with us.

It's very easy to get sucked in to this media narrative that we were this incredible club to aspire to with masterminds at the helm. But so much of it wasn't like that. It's an unpopular opinion to have and it doesn't mean I'm ignoring the fact they are the reason we have achieved all of this, but let's not kid ourselves it was all some masterplan. 

You don’t build a team to get out of championship, winning the league. Then stay up, then build another team to win the league. They rebuild the team again (long after Pearson went), win the FA Cup, numerous excellent league finishes. As well as taking over a club in Belgium, getting them promoted also. 

It’s not just luck and to suggest such is lunacy. Of course there is an element of that, there always is in football. But they made the right decisions more often than not. Fostered the same spirit Pearson brought on board.

You only have to listen to the players talk to know how fondly they were thought of. Those relationships all add to the success over being a faceless owner.

You mention no net spend, well that’s not how it started. And the low net spend was g because they were taking money out like other owners. But because they were investing it in the club for its long term benefit.