Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Aston Villa post match - 2-1 loss

46 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You can disagree all you want mate. The table I can see has us second from bottom and losing game after game.

Mendy is a bang average central midfielder and always has been for the club. Which is why he was sidelined for lengthy periods of time.

He’s ok but very basic. 

Improvement on Ndidis bang Average..!

Guest Col city fan

Ndidi is your archetypal DM. Play him right in front of the defence and let him shield them. 
Don’t ask him to get forward. Just tell him to do what he does best. To get his foot in, win the ball back and lay it off. A modern day, Neil Lennon.

You literally hardly ever saw Lennon in the opposition half. It should be the same with Ndidi. He wins it and gives it to Tielemans, or to KDH.

It’s actually quite criminal what Rodgers has done to some of these players.

Ndidi has gone from having the best stats in the division, for doing as I’ve just written, to a man who looks confused and devoid of confidence. That’s down to the manager mostly.

I’d stick with Ndidi IF he’s played in this simple, straightforward way.

5 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

How do you think we’d do playing a 4-4-2 Diamond formation? N’Didi as a destroyer and Maddison behind two strikers. We need two strikers. It’ll give us more firepower than a sole striker and Barnes and Tete on the wings. 

I like it but it’ll mean no wingers. I wouldn’t mind seeing KDH and Preat operate the middle CM roles and think it would help us get more if a foothold further up the pitch.

It should get the best out of Wilf and Maddison for sure.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Ndidi is your archetypal DM. Play him right in front of the defence and let him shield them. 
Don’t ask him to get forward. Just tell him to do what he does best. To get his foot in, win the ball back and lay it off. A modern day, Neil Lennon.

You literally hardly ever saw Lennon in the opposition half. It should be the same with Ndidi. He wins it and gives it to Tielemans, or to KDH.

Ndidi has gone from having the best stats in the division, for doing as I’ve just written, to a man who looks confused and devoid of confidence. That’s down to the manager mostly.

Yes agree, & to be fair many others have hit on this since last season & beginning of this..

We have had this nearly all season from game one.Where until a defenders, or midfielder blackouts ,we had games as good or better than the opposition..

Then a good 7-8 absolute dross..We failed to pick up points,because we didn't know how to draw..or manage a game through 90minutes..

One point each in the last 2 games & a point against Southampton,

we would be more comfortable

on 28pts( bad enough)..

All this basically down to the players..

adding on Rodgers stumbling tactics.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bang on. This is what happens when you have a manager who imposes a system rather than creating a team based on his players actual strengths. 

Edited by An Away Move
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, hejammy said:

He may not be the answer by right now what other option do we have? No point in talking about what ifs and the future. We need to get out of this mess now and for all of our sins, Mendy should be starting over Ndidi. Wilf may have had his best game for us yesterday until his brain fart but that still wasn't as good as an average Mendy in my opinion. 

I actually agree.

Playing them both at the the expense of pushing Maddison out wide on the right IMO was a mistake, and a waste of Maddison's creativity.

Taking in to consideration that on the whole Ndidi has been ...poor shall we say, and Mendy a little more solid when played, I would have started with him, and him only.

I've posted earlier.  It's been 1 "training" session since his sacking and in most cases, not all granted,  it's a week or more if done before an International Break so we can't expect a total overhaul overnight.

The guys are human and to switch off a playing culture drilled into them over the last 20Mth's can't be turned off like a a switch over night.  I noticed a marked improvement to get forward and pass forward last night. It wasn't perfect but it was better.

If we take a breath and look at it objectively it was two moments of stupidity that cost us, not the events of the whole match like it has been in the past.  I think a negative, passive "Rodgers set up team" would have invited pressure and conceded more than 2 last night.

We just need to hope S & S are able and willing to learn from last night and find some positive tweaks in the next 3 days.

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 1

Arguably individual errors cost us last night. A glaring miss from the tallest player on the pitch. A stupid clumsy tackle resulting in a red and Ndidi with what can only be described as a massive cockup. The problem is these things happen game in game out.

The only positive was Barnseys goal, it was a thing of beauty.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan
12 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

whilst I agree with what you are saying, Lennon was infinitely better on the ball than Ndidi

Can’t argue with that mate 

36 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Problem is col that his confidence in possession is so shot, he can’t even make a fifteen yard pass 

you can’t have someone in that DM role who is scared to make even a fifteen yard pass 

not sure how we solve that - maybe stick him in an U21 game to get some confidence back 

48 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Didn't think we were doing that badly until KDH's sending off. The coaches had simplified our play with the ball and Villa were rarely testing Iverson despite the majority of possession. The sending off defo changed the dynamics and with the confidence levels down the drain something ridiculous was bound to happen. Play like that, as a minimum, against Bournemouth and I'm pretty sure we will start the long climb. 

We also didn’t play a high line for the first time all season which helped massively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Lennon could trap\ pass a football. Poor comparison. 

8 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

It's criminal that Nacho doesn't start, he's our number one striker, you either play him in a two or upfront on his own. If Stowell / Sadler cannot see that, then show them the door as well.

Agreed 

11 hours ago, squidsworth said:

Dunno why Ndidi singled out he had a good game, his mistake at the end the second after daka I think it was caused the chaos. That's how I seen it. Up until then, maybe the best player on the pitch. He isn't done. Daka is, his biggest contribution the first and clinical mistake for their second, I think.  Positives lots more energy and desire, negative same old same old mistakes at the back. Bournemouth now a must win, nothing else will do. They're dog shite and if we can't do it then, we never will. It ain't over yet though.

I suppose..both he and Amartey have been the regular culprits, in lack of holding 

their discipline and gave away far too many goals…over the season…

More than Ward..!!

1 hour ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I actually agree.

Playing them both at the the expense of pushing Maddison out wide on the right IMO was a mistake, and a waste of Maddison's creativity.

Taking in to consideration that on the whole Ndidi has been ...poor shall we say, and Mendy a little more solid when played, I would have started with him, and him only.

I've posted earlier.  It's been 1 "training" session since his sacking and in most cases, not all granted,  it's a week or more if done before an International Break so we can't expect a total overhaul overnight.

The guys are human and to switch off a playing culture drilled into them over the last 20Mth's can't be turned off like a a switch over night.  I noticed a marked improvement to get forward and pass forward last night. It wasn't perfect but it was better.

If we take a breath and look at it objectively it was two moments of stupidity that cost us, not the events of the whole match like it has been in the past.  I think a negative, passive "Rodgers set up team" would have invited pressure and conceded more than 2 last night.

We just need to hope S & S are able and willing to learn from last night and find some positive tweaks in the next 3 days.

We all hope this is one of the better excuses and we can at least try and push from here..

There is a lot of built up explosive frustration,and knee-jerk reactions,from everybody…it hurts..

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You can disagree all you want mate. The table I can see has us second from bottom and losing game after game.

Mendy is a bang average central midfielder and always has been for the club. Which is why he was sidelined for lengthy periods of time.

He’s ok but very basic. 

Unless this is some weird rhetorical device you're going to slap at the start of every 'listen to me son' post, this appears to be an attempt to aportion blame for a shite season to a player who's only featured in half the games. 

One thing I didn't understand last night was why Daka came on and played so deep, allowing them to basically camp us out in our defensive third. Mings and Konsa were effectively playing as CAMs for extended periods with our whole team dropping deep to cling on. I'd have told Daka to basically stand on the half way line which if you're Villa you then need to keep two in their half to potentially counter his pace, leaving us with 9v9 at the back and over more space and with an outfield ball over the top. Was really irritating me! Or maybe I'm just wrong.