Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Aston Villa post match - 2-1 loss

16 minutes ago, brookfox said:

One thing I didn't understand last night was why Daka came on and played so deep, allowing them to basically camp us out in our defensive third. Mings and Konsa were effectively playing as CAMs for extended periods with our whole team dropping deep to cling on. I'd have told Daka to basically stand on the half way line which if you're Villa you then need to keep two in their half to potentially counter his pace, leaving us with 9v9 at the back and over more space and with an outfield ball over the top. Was really irritating me! Or maybe I'm just wrong.

I agree - was saying this myself. Stretch the game for ourselves as well. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Ndidi is your archetypal DM. Play him right in front of the defence and let him shield them. 
Don’t ask him to get forward. Just tell him to do what he does best. To get his foot in, win the ball back and lay it off. A modern day, Neil Lennon.

You literally hardly ever saw Lennon in the opposition half. It should be the same with Ndidi. He wins it and gives it to Tielemans, or to KDH.

It’s actually quite criminal what Rodgers has done to some of these players.

Ndidi has gone from having the best stats in the division, for doing as I’ve just written, to a man who looks confused and devoid of confidence. That’s down to the manager mostly.

I’d stick with Ndidi IF he’s played in this simple, straightforward way.

Bang on Col. He should be on a baby stroller leash to the two centre backs. 

Our midfield shape has been an utter mess this season - you take Youri away and it gets even worse. Buendia yesterday kept coming off the left wing and occupying the shape in front of the two CBs. Mendy would stroll away from this area and KDH too aggressive in the press (which is good if you collectively do it). Lo and behold their goal comes from Buendia taking that space there. 

Equally we didn't use that to our advantage on the right wing in transition. 

Guest Col city fan
7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Bang on Col. He should be on a baby stroller leash to the two centre backs. 

Our midfield shape has been an utter mess this season - you take Youri away and it gets even worse. Buendia yesterday kept coming off the left wing and occupying the shape in front of the two CBs. Mendy would stroll away from this area and KDH too aggressive in the press (which is good if you collectively do it). Lo and behold their goal comes from Buendia taking that space there. 

Equally we didn't use that to our advantage on the right wing in transition. 

Well observed mate. Mendy did this quite a few times. The shape didn’t work at all. 

53 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

We all hope this is one of the better excuses and we can at least try and push from here..

There is a lot of built up explosive frustration,and knee-jerk reactions,from everybody…it hurts..

I know what you mean.  30 seconds after the match I was spinning like a top with frustration and disappointment.. then after short while I took stock with a calmer mind.  

What I posted wasn't meant as an excuse,  but more of an less emotionally  charges evaluation of the situation..

Now that the dust has settled, it would be good if people asked themselves - did we really expect all the current woe's to magically dissappear after 48Hrs or so.

We were a touch better, we did progress forward, both with players and passing.  And until the Ndidi and KDH incidents we were on for a point against  an in form team who beat Chelsea the match before and are currently 7th on merit.

There was always going to be pressure to get a result in the first match post Rodgers sacking.

For some to vindicate the sacking and others to counter with a see it wasn't him that was the problem, and also the club to move up the league  and out of the bottom 3.

We have 3 days until the next match.  Let's hope lessons have been learnt and tweaks have been implemented and the players go into the next match with a clearer head now the first post match has passed, and we go back to the ground with clearer heads too.

• Like 1

Just back from my first ever ban :D

Apologies if I was offensive or on the wind up on Saturday night! 

I was at Coalville last night so missed the game...just watching the highlights and Sky doesn't seem to have acknowledged the seemingly obviously handball for Villa's first goal. Was this addressed on tv or post match at all??

Also, Souts has definitely been taking finishing lessons from Johnny Evans lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hejammy said:

I disagree with this, of the midfielders that were playing yesterday he's the only one that drove and passed the ball forward. KDH as usual kept losing the ball and Ndidi we all know can only pass backwards. 

Can only pass to the opposition you mean

When I watch other sides, it makes it painfully clear that Leicester do something not many (even poor sides) do. 

We play ourselves into tight spaces. Make passes to players with no options (Barnes to Kristensen rings a bell). We don’t switch play other than the odd long ball from Faes. We don’t make the pitch big, we seem to make it smaller. Nobody ever really reverses and opens up when they receive the ball.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bovril said:

Saw someone on social media ask "would we be the best team ever to go down?" when in reality we've played some of the worst football I've ever seen from a PL side. 

Surely the most expensive. Must be cracking on for £200m a year on salaries.

Having just watched the highlights, the two tackles by KDH are very poor, he didn't need to make either, an the technique from Ndidi to try and pass to Barnes is so so poor, he should be clearing it with his left foot far into the space so Barnes can run onto it. Those saying players don't care that goal and reaction after conceding the second by Barnes, show me he cares.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

Having just watched the highlights, the two tackles by KDH are very poor, he didn't need to make either, an the technique from Ndidi to try and pass to Barnes is so so poor, he should be clearing it with his left footfar into the space so Barnes can run onto it. Those saying players don't care that goal and reaction after conceding the second by Barnes, show me he cares.

Indeed, our low IQ has been our defining characteristic this year unfortunately 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I know what you mean.  30 seconds after the match I was spinning like a top with frustration and disappointment.. then after short while I took stock with a calmer mind.  

What I posted wasn't meant as an excuse,  but more of an less emotionally  charges evaluation of the situation..

Now that the dust has settled, it would be good if people asked themselves - did we really expect all the current woe's to magically dissappear after 48Hrs or so.

We were a touch better, we did progress forward, both with players and passing.  And until the Ndidi and KDH incidents we were on for a point against  an in form team who beat Chelsea the match before and are currently 7th on merit.

There was always going to be pressure to get a result in the first match post Rodgers sacking.

For some to vindicate the sacking and others to counter with a see it wasn't him that was the problem, and also the club to move up the league  and out of the bottom 3.

We have 3 days until the next match.  Let's hope lessons have been learnt and tweaks have been implemented and the players go into the next match with a clearer head now the first post match has passed, and we go back to the ground with clearer heads too.

A nice measured approach.  It’s just frustrating when the same thing is being said by us all every week this season.  

Unfortunately the upcoming games will still feel like Rodger’s is in charge until the board get rid of the two bin lids pretending to know what they were doing last night.  They are part of the decline of this club. They messed up last night with the line up, tactics & subs.  Should have been shackles off attacking yet  they set up with FC Passback across the middle and a past it Vardy, 

If the idea was to have Vardy to hit them on the break, wouldn’t the goal keeping coach tell the keeper to punt the ball up the pitch quickly? Like Kasper would always look for. Iverson didn’t look for that once, he would wait for Villa to get back in position then play out of the back. 

I can’t see anything other than the same until the rot has been cleared fully.  

Top has done half a job. 

9 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Having just watched the highlights, the two tackles by KDH are very poor, he didn't need to make either, an the technique from Ndidi to try and pass to Barnes is so so poor, he should be clearing it with his left foot far into the space so Barnes can run onto it. Those saying players don't care that goal and reaction after conceding the second by Barnes, show me he cares.

Barnes impressed me last night, thought he showed some fight and put himself about for a player who's usually pretty lightweight imo 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Barnes was obviously devastated. He cares. He seemed to be playing with more freedom last night, but his link up with Kristiansen needs some work.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

A nice measured approach.  It’s just frustrating when the same thing is being said by us all every week this season.  

Unfortunately the upcoming games will still feel like Rodger’s is in charge until the board get rid of the two bin lids pretending to know what they were doing last night.  They are part of the decline of this club. They messed up last night with the line up, tactics & subs.  Should have been shackles off attacking yet  they set up with FC Passback across the middle and a past it Vardy, 

If the idea was to have Vardy to hit them on the break, wouldn’t the goal keeping coach tell the keeper to punt the ball up the pitch quickly? Like Kasper would always look for. Iverson didn’t look for that once, he would wait for Villa to get back in position then play out of the back. 

I can’t see anything other than the same until the rot has been cleared fully.  

Top has done half a job. 

You are probably quite right.

But I'd like to give them the Bournemouth game to see if they are Rodgers  2.1 or if they were just being overly pragmatic and just trying (by the looks of it too hard) not to loose their 1st game in charge. 

If we are treated to more of the same then they are Rodgers clones or just completely out of their depth. However if the 3 days of training  break the pins on the shackles  and we move up another level of forward passing and movement  with a reduction further in BrendenBall and underperforming players are  swapped   I.e.  Kels coming in, no double pivot only Mendy. Maddison moving central, Tete coming in to provide a balanced /  mirror attack like Barnes on the left, stuff like that, then there may be hope yet as it looks like they may be willing to learn from mistakes and open to acting upon their findings

Roll on Saturday...

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

You are probably quite right.

But I'd like to give them the Bournemouth game to see if they are Rodgers  2.1 or if they were just being overly pragmatic and just trying (by the looks of it too hard) not to loose their 1st game in charge. 

If we are treated to more of the same then they are Rodgers clones or just completely out of their depth. However if the 3 days of training  break the pins on the shackles  and we move up another level of forward passing and movement  with a reduction further in BrendenBall and underperforming players are  swapped   I.e.  Kels coming in, no double pivot only Mendy. Maddison moving central, Tete coming in to provide a balanced /  mirror attack like Barnes on the left, stuff like that, then there may be hope yet as it looks like they may be willing to learn from mistakes and open to acting upon their findings

Roll on Saturday...

I will be happy if we see no Castagne at RB, maybe RW but definitely no Ndidi and Vardy.  Then we may have a chance. At least we won’t have KDH stinking any attack out because he can’t use his right foot. 

1 minute ago, Richmondfox said:

I will be happy if we see no Castagne at RB, maybe RW but definitely no Ndidi and Vardy.  Then we may have a chance. At least we won’t have KDH stinking any attack out because he can’t use his right foot. 

Good point. Castagne needs a rest, and I'm not 100% convinced shifting him further up the pitch so Ricky P and come in is the answer..

I think Tete showed us what he can do in his debut match, then he was "Rodgered" (sorry) and a leash was placed around his neck,  and any of his natural attacking intent was nullified in Rodgers pursuit of possession based death by football. Barnes showed what freedom can do and I truly believe Tete is the same.

We have to ask ourselves, what was it that drew Glover to him in the first place, I don't think it was anything to do with the fact his sideways and backwards passing was top notch. More the fact his attack attributes as a winger caught the eye.

• Like 3

Looking back at this game, we were defensively more solid than we have been for a long time. We lost because of three costly mistakes: (1) Castagne being too casual about staying on the defensive line; (2) KDH moment of madness; (3) Ndidi (just him generally being in the team but of course specifically his crap pass to the opposition). I don’t know what it was, but when Evans and Morgan were there, we just seemed so absolutely solid. We need to find that missing piece. Obviously now we can appreciate what special players they were/are, but what else?

Could it also be the long ball game that we also played with Vardy up front so opponents tended not to press us? But that game is now gone? Is it mentality? Is it tactics? What is it?

Edited by Tom12345

On 04/04/2023 at 21:40, lifted*fox said:

the guys who thought rodgers was the only problem getting a rude awakening

team is full of lower-mid championship quality players - we'd prob struggle there as well tbh.

Rodgers is the bloke who created this situation. Top & Co. allowed it to fester when Rodgers should have been sacked a season ago. Big ego, no plans and living in a fantasy world. Don't blame the players - they've been undermined for a long time now.

• Like 1