Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Aston Villa post match - 2-1 loss

I can’t work out that tactical plan. With the atmosphere the way it was always going to be we had to go at them early on. We had to  capitalise on the outpouring of frustration, but instead we actively sat back and refused to press.

I know Villa are good on the counter but it was a really weird low energy performance right when we were all expecting energy and fight.

Having said that, we lost today because of a total lack of confidence throughout the side and some brain dead decisions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

What do you mean it's not in our hands? There's 27 points to play for. We are 2 points from safety an we've narrowly lost after playing a team that have taken 13 points from the last 15, while we've taken one point from 15. Let's see Saturday lose then and I'm more inclined to agree with that viewpoint.

Yes,  just Man City away soon after that😄

6 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

People in this thread are embarrassing. Expecting us to beat one of the form teams in the league two days after Brendan went? How was that going to happen exactly? Saturday was always the most important game, we win and Forest lose to Villa and we’re out of the bottom three.

Such a weird reaction to throw in the towel after that, we looked better and were one brain fart away from a point. 

Not expecting us to win, but still some things that the management could have changed and didn't.

A few more longer balls but still too much fannying about at the back, when they're not skilful enough to do that. Still not playing two up front. Still not winning enough fifty/fifty duals, especially in the air. Still playing backwards instead of forwards. Mentality still not right with some players; Maddison for one.

So don't expect a win, but do expect improvement, and cutting out the above points.

2 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

What do you mean it's not in our hands? There's 27 points to play for. We are 2 points from safety an we've narrowly lost after playing a team that have taken 13 points from the last 15, while we've taken one point from 15. Let's see Saturday lose then and I'm more inclined to agree with that viewpoint.

What frustrates me most was I think we genuinely had a chance of getting a point and a confidence boost going in to Saturday which would have been invaluable.

1 minute ago, Jaspa said:

A.Young's played KDH like a fiddle there, baited him in hook line and sinker. We were already struggling to get into the game with XI, Vardy feeding off long balls in the air.

So we're still crap, we knew that before Rodgers went. Villa are a clever side with Emery in now though, lots of energy with experience and technical play. We have to grind this out now.

9 games left. 3 of them free hits against Man City, Liverpool & Newcastle - the remaining games we have to focus on fixing these errors up and make it about fundamentals of performance, focus. Us fans have to back them as much as possible aswell, or we're already down.

Game well and truly on.

Played the ref like a fiddle. Never a second yellow. Simulation all day. The scourge of the modern game. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

We have had runs of 1 point from 21 and now 1 from 21 again, how do we even have a chance of staying up still. Pathetic the lot of them 

Burnley went down last season with fewer defeats than we've already had so far this season.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Souttar header isn't a mistake. 

KDH red card is stupidity

Quite obviously I meant the Ndidi one. Even more annoying considering he was having a good  game up to then. 

I’d say Souttar missing a sitter is a mistake.

I would say KDH making a stupid commited challenge whilst on a yellow is a stupid mistake.

I would say Wilf trying to pass a football just outside his own 18 yard box is idiotic and a huge mistake. He’s utterly awful in possession.

• Like 2

It's more than likely too late but we need to hire someone before Bournemouth. I wasn't overly impressed with the performance but it was better than we have offered up in the last few weeks. 

The decision to keep Rodgers in charge for so long will cost us massively. 

• Like 1

Just now, Twitcher said:

Not expecting us to win, but still some things that the management could have changed and didn't.

A few more longer balls but still too much fannying about at the back, when they're not skilful enough to do that. Still not playing two up front. Still not winning enough fifty/fifty duals, especially in the air. Still playing backwards instead of forwards. Mentality still not right with some players; Maddison for one.

So don't expect a win, but do expect improvement, and cutting out the above points.

There was a definite improvement in terms of work rate. But realistically how  much improvement was there ever going to be in 2 days? These players have only played one way for ages. See what Saturday is like before overreacting. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, browniefox said:

As others have said, we need someone in ASAP, those left taking charge are just carrying on with the Brendan playbook as they have been sucked in to believe it was the way forward. 

Some new ideas and some impetus are needed desperately. 

I don't agree Stowell has been here for years, and watched many Managers come and go, he knows the team inside out, can't see a new Manager at this stage making any fcuking difference at all.

5 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Disappointing end, but signs of improvement overall I thought. Much more intensity and intent, and given their form this was always going to be a tricky fixture. Dodgy red card, and lapse of concentration at the end there cost us.

Nine games to go and only 3pts off of 14th - and people on here are acting like we're already down? Give over. 

No signs of a win. No sign of a clean sheet. Too many unforced errors.  Nothing to indicate an upturn 

Don’t really blame the tactics tbh. Low on confidence. Villa reliant on trying to prise you out but ultimately needed a couple of brain farts. Our defensive shape was a lot lot better. 

Soul destroying that - even though I knew they’d get a winner 

• Like 1

Just now, The Guvnor said:

I don't agree Stowell has been here for years, and watched many Managers come and go, he knows the team inside out, can't see a new Manager at this stage making any fcuking difference at all.

The only difference short term would be a change of tactics. I mean it might not be a bad shout anyway.

Tbh

We COULD have been 2 points better off after the late defeat at Palace and Wilfreds daft pass.

These points are vital, like Everton's late goal, last night.

These moments are the difference. 

We're down, not doubt

Should have got rid of you know who, and got Dyche In, back in the autumn 

1 minute ago, The Guvnor said:

I know he has which makes his decisions even stranger. Likes he's said to them, you know what Brendan said last week, same applies this week. You're not good enough to beat these but let's see what we can do. 

Btw the ref was totally right to send off KDH but he let numerous similar fouls go without punishment. He then completely lost the plot in the last six minutes including giving us a nonsense penalty, whistle he blew without knowing what it was for and then allowed their striker to push Faes into Iversen. 

No wonder he retired because he needs to again