Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harpenden Fox

Our Most Expensive Flops of the Golden Premiership era

So to pass the time on the drive back south last night (no road closures on the M1 felt like a genuine positive to take from the trip). We composed a list of the most expensive possible dross XI since we rejoined the Premier League in 2014. I reckon I can get up to about £176 million for my starting XI, but I need some expensive flops at full back, as my current selections are Bertrand, who was free, and Big Dan, which is perhaps a little harsh on big Dan. Who am I missing? I'd opted for Hernandez, but he was another free. And I think Bennett gets an honorary position on the bench for being our only signing when in pursuit of a Champions League place

So here you go, here's your rogues gallery, with estimated cost in brackets

Ward   (12)

Amartey (5)

Vestergaard (18)

Benkovic (12)

Bertrand (free)

Soumare (22)

Silva. (22)

Ghezzal (10)

Perez (30)

Slimani (29)

Musa (16)

Bench

Praet (18)

Inler (5)

Bennett (odd)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

So to pass the time on the drive back south last night (no road closures on the M1 felt like a genuine positive to take from the trip). We composed a list of the most expensive possible dross XI since we rejoined the Premier League in 2014. I reckon I can get up to about £176 million for my starting XI, but I need some expensive flops at full back, as my current selections are Bertrand, who was free, and Big Dan, which is perhaps a little harsh on big Dan. Who am I missing? I'd opted for Hernandez, but he was another free. And I think Bennett gets an honorary position on the bench for being our only signing when in pursuit of a Champions League place

Ward   (12)

Amartey (5)

Vestergaard (18)

Benkovic (12)

Bertrand (free)

Soumare (22)

Silva. (22)

Ghezzal (10)

Perez (30)

Slimani (29)

Musa (16)

Bench

Praet (18)

Inler (5)

Bennett (odd)

I’d have Hernandez ahead of Amartey in right back. 
edit- apologies you did mention 

Edited by westernpark
Not read post properly.

I think we actually got most of the transfer fee back for Musa

Kramaric was a record signing for us at the time, nearly £10m, only played 11 games worth of minutes, not sure how much we got back for him

Edited by moore_94

Mendy was another record signing at 13m and only played 4 games in his first 2 seasons, was not even the 25 man squad at one point. I feel bad calling him a flop as I like him and feel he's been poorly treated but deserves a spot on the bench if only for being a record signing.

• Like 1

The problem with Slim was that he joined when Vardy was first choice and he was never going to be happy on the bench.

If he joined now (in his peak) he would have been a success for us

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Ward   (12)

Amartey (5)

Vestergaard (18)

Benkovic (12)

Bertrand (free)

Soumare (22)

Silva. (22)

Ghezzal (10)

Perez (30)

Slimani (29)

Musa (16)

Bench

Praet (18)

Inler (5)

Bennett (odd)

Matt Mills at centre half.. Taking inflation into account. Akinbiyi would be close too.