Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harpenden Fox

Our Most Expensive Flops of the Golden Premiership era

Slimani wasn't a bad player at all. His goals and assists per 90 were actually better than Vardy's in 2016/17 and 2017/18. It was more the case that he didn't fit/gel into the squad personality-wise.

There's an argument to be had that Castagne should be in at RB. Not a bad player by any means but he's been fairly average for what he cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

So to pass the time on the drive back south last night (no road closures on the M1 felt like a genuine positive to take from the trip). We composed a list of the most expensive possible dross XI since we rejoined the Premier League in 2014. I reckon I can get up to about £176 million for my starting XI, but I need some expensive flops at full back, as my current selections are Bertrand, who was free, and Big Dan, which is perhaps a little harsh on big Dan. Who am I missing? I'd opted for Hernandez, but he was another free. And I think Bennett gets an honorary position on the bench for being our only signing when in pursuit of a Champions League place

So here you go, here's your rogues gallery, with estimated cost in brackets

Ward   (12)

Amartey (5)

Vestergaard (18)

Benkovic (12)

Bertrand (free)

Soumare (22)

Silva. (22)

Ghezzal (10)

Perez (30)

Slimani (29)

Musa (16)

Bench

Praet (18)

Inler (5)

Bennett (odd)

Daka was 23 million is he really that much better than slimani and Perez?

53 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

We'll probably get to see when he's employed appropriately in a manner similar to why we bought him in the first place from his previous club. 

As a goal poacher who offers nothing else and scored a bunch of goals in an extremely poor European league? Think we’ve already seen he could do that when he scored 4 against a bottom half Russian side tbf. Premier League defenders must love marking him though.

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

As a goal poacher who offers nothing else and scored a bunch of goals in an extremely poor European league? Think we’ve already seen he could do that when he scored 4 against a bottom half Russian side tbf. Premier League defenders must love marking him though.

The point is, he like Iheanacho is not a loan striker and unlikely to hold the ball up either. 

Thinking about it we’ve had plenty of expensive flops who’ve been as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. 

Inler would be a good captain of that team. 

Kalac 

Thatcher  Vestegaard   Keown Bertrand 

Soumare     Wise

Ghezzal       Inler (c).    Bartuska 

Akinbiyi

32 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Thinking about it we’ve had plenty of expensive flops who’ve been as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. 

Kalac 

Soumare     Wise

Akinbiyi

Thatcher? He was a free transfer and half decent.

• Like 4

I think my judgement of Slimani is somewhat clouded in fairness, because A) it was during that period of malaise after the title win, B) something about him just didn't fit with the "vibe" of the title-winning squad and C) I was sick to death of the Algerian fan club on Facebook in 2017-18. lol

He was decent to be honest, scored a few useful goals, not least at home to Porto. I'd certainly like a big man like him back with us now.

Nonetheless, all I will ever remember from that period is this bleeding emoji being spammed in anything and everything LCFC online, and Algerians telling us that we would "WIN THE HAIR" :whistle:

YOU WILL WIN THE HAIR.png

Edited by OntarioFox

15 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Soumare by a country mile for me, oddly protected by some fans even though he’s been utter dogshit. hamza has had more better games than that ****. 

But in fairness you see glimpses of his potential. I think with a better coach, he may get better.

Vestergaard, on the other hand, it was clear he cannot cut it here or any PL club. 

15 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Slimani wasn't a bad player at all. His goals and assists per 90 were actually better than Vardy's in 2016/17 and 2017/18. It was more the case that he didn't fit/gel into the squad personality-wise.

There's an argument to be had that Castagne should be in at RB. Not a bad player by any means but he's been fairly average for what he cost.

Ayoze was worse 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Slimani is top but Musa and Soumare close behind. Inler and Silva in the next group.

Slimani may have been the most expensive but he contributed a lot more than most of the other on the list, especially his goal against Porto in the champions league. Was a waste of money though but I'd argue Silva and Soumare are worse 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Kalac 

Soumare     Wise

Akinbiyi

Ben Thatcher wasn't a bad player. 

• Like 2

I can only assume he’s confused Ben Thatcher with John Curtis. Thatcher was quite comfortably our best defender in the relegation season under Mickey Adams and one of our best players that season along with Ferdinand Dickov and Izzet. He got a transfer to ManCity on the back of his decent performances for us too.

Curtis on the other hand was so far past it and cost us several goals including a ridiculous last minute own goal equaliser vs Middlesbrough.

• Like 4

People love to rewrite Slimani. Yes he scored a couple important goals for us but he cost £28m and scored less than 15 goals in nearly 50 games. Was rightfully moved on.

That said, Daka is up there for me. Maybe in front of Slimani.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 21st Century Fox said:

If you were looking purely at cost per minutes played (in euros unfortunately) since we won the league. Obviously that doesn't take into account money recouped (e.g. Fofana).

Screenshot-2023-04-05-at-11-09-36.png

Only thing i'd argue here is that we definitely got a good chunk of money in loan fees for Slimani which might not be accounted for? I reckon we must have racked up 4-5 million at least. 

I'd say Slimani was our worst signing amongst the forwards. His first touch was on Roger Davies proportions for those who can remember  him. I've often wondered what scouts see in these players when you only need to see them touch the the ball for the first ten minutes to see that they're  not capable of playing at this level. Daka,Soumare and Slim spring to mind, I was immediately disappointed and knew it wouldn't change. 

Where as the first time Mahrez touched the ball he had magic in his feet.

• Like 3