Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue-fox

Fitness

1 minute ago, Blue-fox said:

Probably a bit late to be questioning this now, but am I the only one thinking that we really and truly do look like we are miles off being fit enough. The players don’t look like they can run for 90 mins, today after 60 majority looked absolutely knackered. 

They certainly looked unfit and underprepared at the start of the season. 

Twice this season coaching staff of opposition teams have post match shared thoughts that they were surprised how unfit we are. So it’s not just you, me and other supporters that’s what other Premier League coaches think of us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue-fox said:

Probably a bit late to be questioning this now, but am I the only one thinking that we really and truly do look like we are miles off being fit enough. The players don’t look like they can run for 90 mins, today after 60 majority looked absolutely knackered. 

Totally...and I think a major cause why we never, ever, ever score late...or even mount any pressure 

I've asked before if any stattos on here have the numbers on our km run, recovery runs etc. 

Got shag all to do with fitness, they don't want it enough. How many times this season have we conceded goals were they just didn't want it enough? 

Brentford at home 

Saints at home

Forest away (the entire game)

The Brighton equaliser at home. And that's just off the top of my head

• Like 1

I’ve thought it for a long while but couldn’t really question it during our European exploits … remember when we all said when we’ve got 1 game a week our injuries will clear up and results will pick us as we can focus on a game and have a week to prepare, what a retrospective laugh that is now and all whilst we still look like we’re constantly blowing. It’s remarkable.

No, I was questioning our fitness going back to our seasons missing out on top 4, we seemed to burn out in the second half, then we switch it, and it’s like we hold back in the first half to put in some effort in the second half, then there’s the injuries 

Just another thing that appears to have been severely affected over months/years.

They're not very fit in the mind, let alone physically. So many brain-dead decisions, lack of common sense, kill each other with lazy passes. All stems from sheer lack of confidence and belief.

When you've been told all season by the manager that you're not good enough and can't be coached I'd imagine as your confidence takes a sledgehammer blow your ability to get up an go for it is massively diminished. This is a team who's soul has been destroyed, they are ghosts of their former selves.

• Like 4

I think this is a good question. How often in the last 18 months have we produced a 90+ mins performance ? Brendan regularly pointed to periods of matches  where we’d been dominant or dangerous but hardly ever, if at all, have we played well for a  whole game. 

• Like 1

The Palace game was a prime example. Our players always had a Palace player in close attendance and Palace players picked uo most second balls. When they got the ball, no leicester player was near them. Today was similar: our players under constant pressure and hassled, Bournemouth strolled around. We don't work hard enough and I thinks it's because the can't.

It probably explains all the injuries. You will pick up muscle injuries if unfit and do things like ACLs if you are tired.

It's not the whole problem, but a big part, I think.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this thread as I've seen others mention it today, and it's something I've been thinking for a while, but we are so far off the pace in terms of fitness it's shocking. 

We've gone from one of the fittest teams in the league that would blow teams away in the final 20 minutes by maintaining a consistently high tempo, to a side that looks like they're blowing out of arses after 60 minutes. I appreciate that the playing personnel has changed but the drop off across the entire squad is clear for all to see which tells me that our approach to training has changed and there's fundamental issues with the current methodology/regimen. 

I've said it many times in the past as it's applicable to all walks of life not just football, but you can have all the talent in the world however if you're not prepared to work hard and you're ill prepared to compete with others you'll rarely succeed. 

Physical strength is also an issue. Rodgers never believed in gym work hence us constantly being overpowered, look at Barnes, Daka, Castagne, Thomas, Maddison etc none of them look like they've lifted a weight in the past 18 months. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor in the number of injuries we suffer.

Edited by Vestan Pance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking it's so odd how we're blaming players/Rodgers (rightfully, and this is still down to him) but barely a mention of fitness. Players looked shattered today and needed somebody to freshen it up