Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RothleyFox

Is Jesse Marsch better than Rodgers ?

10 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

yes but that won’t be enough.

I’ll take him anyway because he can’t be any worse and he must be either desperate or committed to take on this suicide mission. Maybe he’s also accepted taking us 2 years to try and get back from the championship. Not many takers for this mission I expect.

Agreed. If he can get a tune out of this group of muppets then he genuinely deserves a statue. The debacle yesterday has seriously dented any holes I had to be honest as we look absolutely atrocious.

I think these last few months have shown, how coaches & manager can ruin & destroy players skill-set, and mental discipline…

That these two IDIOTS could even think again,of such poor selection & tactics ,then

incompetent excuses,shows how they all have totally ruined  along with high management the total football culture,spirit and internal soul of the club,which obviously spreads through to the players….

In our way we will hold hope,even post nonsense to keep our traditional support for

an entity that no longer talks & mean anything to us.

How can fans support a club,that no longer exsists…!!

Our Board must have just written names on the back of a fag packet, ripped it into pieces, thrown them in the air and gone with the one landed face up. No other way to explain being linked with Potter and Frank one minute and then giving a three and a half year contract to Marsch in the next. Could understand his appointment as interim but trust him with a total rebuild?  Not a chance!

Edited by l444ry

5 hours ago, Revieist said:

I am a Leeds supporter.  He is not as good as Rodgers, but Rodgers has gone (by mutual consent), so you are where you are.  It may not be an altogether bad move to have Marsch as manager.

In his defence:

He was unlucky with injuries while with us.  All managers have this excuse, but in Leeds' case it was a factor as we had a thin squad.  Bamford was out and so was Sinisterra through injury.  In the case of Sinisterra, it was also partly self-inflicted - he got himself a stupid red card and was suspended.  Sinisterra has only now just come back into the squad.  If he had been fit for Marsch, I think Marsch would still be Leeds manager today (for better or worse).

Unlucky in some matches where we should have won but lost - e.g. Tottenham, even Arsenal earlier in the season.

Individual mistakes from players lost several important games - he can't be blamed for that, in my view.

I think the Board/Director of Football let him down a bit on signings - we should have signed a striker, a creative midfielder and a left back, possibly another centre back as well.  Let's say Leeds had been able to sign Maddison or a similar player, again Marsch would probably still be Leeds manager today under those circumstances.

The signings he directly influenced have mostly come good - Roca, Adams, McKennie, Wöber - which suggests he has a good eye and good contacts in the market.  Kristensen has struggled but is improving.  Aaronson started off well, then struggled, but there are signs he could be a good player for us.  None of the players he wanted have turned out to be disastrous signings.

His playing philosophy worked well against the top sides - we defeated Chelsea and Liverpool and should have dispatched Arsenal and Tottenham.  

His faults:

Tactically naive and too dogmatic.  Too wedded to the RB system.  Should have been more pragmatic.  It's all very well saying, as I imply above, that he didn't have the right type of players, but part of the job of a manager is to adapt to the players you have.  Marsch either struggled to do that or refused to.

Appeared to disrespect and abandon Bielsa' s legacy, which I think many supporters took almost as a defoliation of the club.  Leeds fans aren't always very rational and some are still attached to Bielsa, and this fomented an undercurrent of bad feeling for him.

Too media-friendly, to the extent of giving away sensitive information about player fitness and injuries and revealing tactical decisions in press conferences.

A bit too 'American' in his understanding of football and management techniques - he frequently referred to 'plays', as if he was an NFL coach discussing a smack down on the 50th. yard line. He talked of the 'group' and all sorts of other waffle.  

A bit too American in his mannerisms as well - unfortunately, not the Texan variety, think more smarmy Wisconsin.  This is especially a problem at a northern, working class type of club like Leeds.  It's a stereotype, but it's true that we're plain speaking people in West Yorkshire.  We don't take kindly to smooth talkers.  [Not so much a fault, as an attribute, to be fair].

My personal view

Looking at the players Leicester have, you've got Maddison, Daka, Ndidi, Tete, Barnes, Telemann.  Possibly Barnes may struggle if Marsch tries to restrict width, but otherwise you have the players who could work in a Marsch system.

I think Leicester is also culturally very different to Leeds and this will help Jesse.  I supported Marsch to the end, mainly because I am a supporter and so I support the manager and the team, whoever they are.  Now I can think it over in hindsight, it's clear to me that Leeds was the wrong club for Jesse - mainly because of the supporters.  I think you could make a very good case that being manager of Leeds United is the toughest job in club football because of the supporters.  It's a toxic club, and if you're the manager and struggling or a player who is out of sorts, the supporters will turn on you in a flash and they can be brutal.  Jesse's innovative methods and tactics suit better a club and situation like Leicester where the atmosphere is calmer, the supporters are perhaps a bit more rational, and he has time to implement things with the right players.

I must say, I have particular sympathy for Marsch over the matter of Bielsa.  Although Bielsa will - rightly - be remembered as a great Leeds manager, his legacy was not entirely positive.  While Marsch was too dogmatic and rigid tactically, Bielsa took tactical dogma to the extreme, to the point of childish stubbornness, and my personal view is that he should not have had his own way across the club to the extent he did.  He landed Jesse Marsch with a worn-out squad and I strongly suspect Bamford's injury was down to Bielsa.  I add that again just to give you some context.

In the end, to be fair to Jesse, while he had his faults, his term as manager was in the shadow of Bielsa and he suffered the fallout and consequences of Bielsa's mistakes.  The club did a huge kindness to Bielsa's reputation by sacking him when they did - we probably would have been relegated.

Apologies for the length of that, but hope it helps add some balance.  I have no strong feelings one way or the other about Leicester City.  We don't have a rivalry with you and you seem an inoffensive club and I wish you all the best.  We all hope for the best really.

So experience taking over, an overworked group of players that are injury prone at Leeds, could prove useful at Leicester.

9 hours ago, so1 said:

It's obvious that the club doesn't want to change the style of football that Puel and Rodgers have started and players have been purchased by the club with that intention. Weather the club has the finances available to play this type of football at this level for a sustained period of time is the question. Squads and managers have to be replenished and rebuilt continuously. 

That said I think Jesse Marsch has the potential to be a very good manager in the PL. I would hope that if the club signed him it would be with an eye to possibly rebuilding in the championship and getting promoted. Marsch has never had a club promoted in the championship. Rodgers has in Swansea. Either way this club needs a serious rebuild and the club doesn't sound like their in the mood to throw away a whole system which has took years and many millions to build. There are many reasons why this club is where it's at. Riding on the edge of a cliff ain't for sissies.

This would make some sense if Marsch played a similar style of football. The fact is that his style is almost the opposite in every way

• Like 1

It’s irrelevant question in my opinion…

we are not exactly a club most successful and respected managers would want to sign a long term contract with. Plus the pool to choose from is minimal currently.

so this is where we are at, all we can do is support marsch and hope that his “failings” at Leeds will benefit us and that we will be a better fit for him.

right now we need a lift, the players look destroyed psychologically, unfit, lacking confidence and any real guile. If Marsch is the man then hopefully short term he will provide a confidence boost. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RothleyFox said:

If the rumour is believed ,  it is expected that Jesse Marsche will soon be named as the next LCFC manager

Please someone explain how he is a better manager than Rodgers !

Has no known notepad..

Speaks with a USA twang..

Bring in Kasey Keller as coach

Has to renew work permit..

First Leeds incoming connection I believe.

Rodgers most likely the 1st Irishman who peaked from the crest down to miserable failure in our history…

7 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Erm just about everyone in this forum after watching how s*it we’ve been for the whole season?

Understandable it’s been shit all season, longer than that in fact but why not give the next person a chance to sort out the shit that the last manager left?

Out of curiosity, who was you expecting to come in?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

If this happens then I won't be backing him and I make no apologies for this either, pathetic it's come to this. 

Presumably you feel we could have got “better” managers? That would be willing to stay on in the championship should we be relegated?

or would you have preferred SaS until the seasons end?

just curious as to what you think we should go in the crap situation we are in? 

10 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

It's truly baffling that despite relegation being a near certainty, there are fans who hold the unrealistic belief that we'll be able to cherry-pick from a pool of highly qualified managers. The harsh reality is that our club is sailing towards a financial iceberg, we are not going to get top-tier managers given our current predicament.

It's time for a reality check.

Whilst true, I think as would have the pick of some of the young non premier league managers who are on their way up with something to prove and a fresh approach 

• Like 1

SAS have to go immediately. Is Jesse Marche a better manager than BR I think not. We do need to give him a chance though he seems highly motivated and hopefully that will pass on to the players. 

No doubt about it though it's a huge challenge for whoever steps in, BR had an absolutely appalling season this year that's left us deep in trouble. 

• Like 2

I don't think he is any better. We really need someone that can shelf the tactics and just drill the team with motivation. At this moment in time Jesse isn't the guy to do that. 

Then to allow Jesse to rebuild the team, is going to be suicidal. I haven't seen from this guys track record anything of note.

38 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

Understandable it’s been shit all season, longer than that in fact but why not give the next person a chance to sort out the shit that the last manager left?

Out of curiosity, who was you expecting to come in?

Rafa benitez tbh at least he has done something even if it's been a while 

3 minutes ago, shiv said:

People had the same reactions to Puel being appointed. I just hope people give Marsch the time and patience Puel deserved, as all it would take is 2-3 bad results for people to get on his back.

But we don't have time? So whoever comes in will be rightly judged on their ability to see out this interim appointment.