Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

8 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

We all know why this season went wrong.  Brendan had a way he wanted to play and expected to be able to bring in players to do that even though his track record on recruitment was woeful.  When this was not forthcoming he tried to coach the players he had to work in a system that they are clearly not capable of - this fails, he implicitly blames the players in interviews, confidence falls and performances fall even further.

When Shakey took over in 16/17 he abandoned the move Claudio was trying to make to a possession game, the situation now is not dissimilar.  I hope that the new approach will be to look at what the players are already comfortable with, coach them to do that to the very best of their abilities and devise a system to work with them.  If that is enough to keep us up then great, if not, so be it - we go again in the Championship.

Yep, this is the hope. The new managerial team picks the system that gets the best from the players we have available, and in particular we stop conceding goals. It will give us a chance, but it isn't going to be easy.

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you are easily pleased!!!

Terry is an abomination and an embarrassment to have on this backroom team. As a person it would be hard to find someone more dislikeable. 

I don't like him as a person but you cannot doubt his credentials as a leader and a fighter - something we're lacking in huge amount right now!! 

• Like 3

When I first heard the rumours, I genuinely thought our club was on the wind up BUT on reflection, it’s an appointment that is very much needed in our current situation.

Does it highlight the arrogance/naivety by not making a decision much (much) earlier? Yes.

But hopefully, the players take the handbrake off and realise the battle they’re up for now with a new voice.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adamkhalifa said:

I feel better about this than Jesse. 

Mr manager, please can we stop playing the ball at the back. We don't have the confidence and maybe not even the talent. Long ball football will do. Just keep us up plz. 

This guy is better than Jesse or SaS. Anyone disappointed with him will still be thinking we are in the top 8 of the Premiership, we aren’t. He's proved he's a bottom 8 Premiership manager with Villa, the time to appoint a top 8 manager was 6 months ago with Emery, we missed the boat, we move on with Villas cast off and actually need to be greatful for that, than something far worse.

• Like 1

Feels like unless he is absolutely terrible, he will be here next season.

Keep us up and I can see him being rewarded.  Marsch and Potter can do one.  

Narrow relegation and he has experience in the Championship.

feels a bit like Pearson.  Hope he is very much in that mould

• Like 2

If anybody has incentive to see us relegated it's Dean Smith set himself up nicely to manage us in the Championship because he was never going to manage us in the PL if we stayed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Begley said:

Dean Smith is a hell of a lot better than u are giving him credit for. Do you actually know anything about his management style / techniques? Have u watched him at Norwich / Brentford / Villa or are u basing your assessment on a few social media posts?

What???? lol

Could have been ALOT worse with Jessie!

Let's just hope him and his backroom staff can atleast instill  some balls in our team and abit of belief.

Firstvthi g they need to do is sack ALL the existing backroom staff starting with Stowell  and Sandler etc...get rid of all signs of Rodgers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Well there’s a conspiracy theory I wasn’t ready for this morning.

Underneath my charming exterior I'm a cynical bastard.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

If anybody has incentive to see us relegated it's Dean Smith set himself up nicely to manage us in the Championship because he was never going to manage us in the PL if we stayed up.

Not sure agree. Hopefully there is a nice bonus in there for staying up. I’m sure he’d rather not have relegation on his cv. I’d also rather we looked at our options next year regardless of what happens. 

Makes sense to bring someone in that has kept a team up before, will be bringing Shakey who knows the club well and Terry who should command respect and hopefully shove a few rockets up a few arses. 

Should've happened during international break rather than 4 days before the toughest game in the entire fixture list but we are where we are and it can't be undone. 

I'm a tiny bit more optimistic but do feel the damage is done. 

I think a lot of people (myself included) would be happier about this if it weren’t for the fact that we read discussions were ongoing with Benitez. 

He’s a good option on an interim level. The main thing this side needs is a kick up the arse, but also to be reminded they’re not half as bad as Rodgers has told them they are for the last 2 years. I think he can do that. 

Good luck Dean & co!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

Don't see this at all. Even if keeping us up meant he was jobless in the summer, he'd have boosted his reputation and given himself a decent shot at another Prem opportunity when it came up. The kind of managers accustomed to Prem survival scraps always find work.

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

It'll do his reputation far more good if he keeps us up, could easily take us down and do what he did at Norwich and then his reputation takes another huge knock.