Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

Guest Mee-9
1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

If you listen to it, she had spoken to O'hara on Saturday,  so it was all stage-managed.

I know, as if they gave her two bits of airtime. 

31 minutes ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

Good luck Mr Smith. There is one thing I would like you to do asap, is to put a stop to this ridiculous 

playing out from the back when the goalkeeper has the ball.

Back in the 60’s & 70’s with the likes of goalkeepers Banks, Shilton and Wallington when they had the ball

90% of the time they hoofed it down the pitch, it then becomes a 50/50 ball and unnerves the defence. I am 

convinced this would revitalise our friend Mr Vardy, and immediately puts the defence under pressure.

How many times have we seen the defence dither around trying to play out from the back, and on numerous occasions 

it has cost us dearly. Please instil into the team to be more direct and pressurise defences in more ways than one.

Also I would like to see us being more direct instead of playing the ball from side to side in monotonous fashion In

midfield then finishing up with the ball in the goalkeeper’s hands. The time wasted in games must be enormous 

sometimes. As we used to say back then…….Attack Attack    Attack-Attack-Attack.

Only thing is that with Iversen the long balls accuracy have only been accurate a few times in the last 3 matches from about 45 attempts. 
That may well be down to a combination of distribution and the players are not used to winning headers.
but I don’t think it would be good to give possession away like that against Man City. Otherwise might not see the ball for some time.

• Like 1

With our current situation, it’s probably a sensible appointment. I do understand why we didn’t appoint Rafa, he would have wanted a three year deal on massive money - an interim is what we needed.

Dean Smith doesn’t fill me with excitement, but it’s not necessarily what we need at the moment. I have always thought that he’s of a similar mould to Pearson, you just know that he’ll demand full effort and take us back to basics. What you see is what you get, no throwing players under the bus or blaming the weather.

I don’t particularly like him as a person, but I have a feeling Terry will turn out to be decent. He was lauded with praise at Villa. We need somebody who can teach the dark arts to our players too. Also happy to see Shakespeare, very few people will know the club like him and he’ll get the fans onside.

I guess time will tell, they’re faced with a near impossible task on Saturday but it gets ‘easier’ after that. After saying for ages that literally anybody is better than Rodgers, it’s nice to see somebody through the door. 

Eight cup finals and this isn’t going to be an easy task. However, Smith has the opportunity to make himself a cult hero here though, just imagine if he keeps us up at the expense of Notts Forest. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

Good luck Mr Smith. There is one thing I would like you to do asap, is to put a stop to this ridiculous 

Back in the 60’s & 70’s with the likes of goalkeepers Banks, Shilton and Wallington when they had the ball

90% of the time they hoofed it down the pitch, it then becomes a 50/50 ball and unnerves the defence. I am 

convinced this would revitalise our friend Mr Vardy, and immediately puts the defence under pressure.

How many times have we seen the defence dither around trying to play out from the back, and on numerous occasions 

it has cost us dearly. Please instil into the team to be more direct and pressurise defences in more ways than one.

Also I would like to see us being more direct instead of playing the ball from side to side in monotonous fashion In

midfield then finishing up with the ball in the goalkeeper’s hands. The time wasted in games must be enormous 

Unfortunately this is far less effective than it used to be. Teams have developed away from this playing style for a reason, it stopped working. If we spend 10 mins chasing/pressing the opposition team to win the ball back, just to hoof it back to them immediately after will not help us at all. If you’ve got a good defence you can sit back and soak up pressure and then play on the counter, but I’m not sure we have the defence or keeper to play that successfully. 

Playing out from the back is not our issue, it’s our lack of confidence when doing it. We also hugely miss tielemans who is excellent at building up from the back. I don’t think it’s any surprise that our worst run of the season is the same period he is out injured. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

It doesnt work like that, we have 25 points + GD advantage. If we finish on the same points as we have now and another team has 26 points then we still finish below them. GD advantage has less value than a single point.

I didn’t explain it well but you know what I am saying - if you finish on the same points then it’s effectively worth an extra point 

If we get out of this mess then it could well be on GD 

Guest bennytwohats
16 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Given the absolute shit state we're in with many being resigned to relegation, if Smith does indeed keep us up, will he not merit the job longer term? Or does it depend on the manner in which we survive?

I’d say not automatically. There’s a good reason we have appointed an interim and the ask over the next 8 games is a very different ask to a rebuild if we stayed up.

Head will need to rule heart come the summer which would be very difficult if we’d stayed up as for that to be the case Smith’s tenure would have to be a roaring success and there would be an incredible amount of good will towards him. But as above, that wouldn’t automatically make him the right candidate for a rebuild.

28 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

With our current situation, it’s probably a sensible appointment. I do understand why we didn’t appoint Rafa, he would have wanted a three year deal on massive money - an interim is what we needed.

Dean Smith doesn’t fill me with excitement, but it’s not necessarily what we need at the moment. I have always thought that he’s of a similar mould to Pearson, you just know that he’ll demand full effort and take us back to basics. What you see is what you get, no throwing players under the bus or blaming the weather.

I don’t particularly like him as a person, but I have a feeling Terry will turn out to be decent. He was lauded with praise at Villa. We need somebody who can teach the dark arts to our players too. Also happy to see Shakespeare, very few people will know the club like him and he’ll get the fans onside.

I guess time will tell, they’re faced with a near impossible task on Saturday but it gets ‘easier’ after that. After saying for ages that literally anybody is better than Rodgers, it’s nice to see somebody through the door. 

Eight cup finals and this isn’t going to be an easy task. However, Smith has the opportunity to make himself a cult hero here though, just imagine if he keeps us up at the expense of Notts Forest. 

if the management can resurrect this lot in eight games then it will surely be the second coming.  🙄. 7 games won all season and looking to win 5 out the last 7 after the Man City game ? 5000/1 would be realistic odds I'm afraid.

31 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Absolutely 8 cup finals BUT its still in OUR hands, beat Wolves, Leeds, Everton & Wet Spam and we'll be close, so there is room for manoeuvre and I think Liverpool are beatable down here if we get a head of steam up & something at Fulham as they are imploding.  LCFC Team BELIEVE, the fans want to!!! 

11 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Given the absolute shit state we're in with many being resigned to relegation, if Smith does indeed keep us up, will he not merit the job longer term? Or does it depend on the manner in which we survive?

I think any way we survive will be an amazing run, not sure there’s a less good manner? 

In terms of longer term, in principle, if he’s the NP type I would be happy for him to stay on if he is good with a rebuild. Obviously we haven’t seen how he will do so it’s too early to say. Some managers click with a certain club. If that happens happy days!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

Fans like this give us a bad name. Why go on Talksport and talk absolute drivel like this. Fool. 

I saw it earlier and genuinely felt so embarrassed that I had to turn it off after 5 seconds. Braved it again and it's pretty clear that she's either on a wind up or has totally lost her mind.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JimJams said:

If we win four or more out of last eight, then he more than deserves the job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

We old terrace soldiers have to put down our last desires & push these young crazy coots away from crab football…( Cromer dressed in football shirts)

46 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I’d say not automatically. There’s a good reason we have appointed an interim and the ask over the next 8 games is a very different ask to a rebuild if we stayed up.

Head will need to rule heart come the summer which would be very difficult if we’d stayed up as for that to be the case Smith’s tenure would have to be a roaring success and there would be an incredible amount of good will towards him. But as above, that wouldn’t automatically make him the right candidate for a rebuild.

How about if he won 5 games out of 8? got us to 40 points, that for me, would warrant at least a 12 month contract.

35 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think any way we survive will be an amazing run, not sure there’s a less good manner?

Initially I thought that the practical way for us to survive is winning at least half of our remaining matches, essentially the 6 pointers. And then it would be up in the air. At different extremes, if we win all 8 then it's surely a no brainer, and then there's the other side in that we could actually pick up a solitary win against Everton and if we lose every other game, as long as Forest and Everton also lose every game, we'd survive with 1 win and just 3 points from 8 games. So then you're looking for someone new. Unlikely but just an illustration I suppose that gaining survival won't necessarily merit a long term job.

39 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

In terms of longer term, in principle, if he’s the NP type I would be happy for him to stay on if he is good with a rebuild. Obviously we haven’t seen how he will do so it’s too early to say. Some managers click with a certain club. If that happens happy days!

I think he could be that guy, as a player and manager combined he has a 6/9 record of staying at least 3 years at the clubs he's been at. Norwich is the only anomaly from a managerial point of view, an his only 2 clubs of less than 3 years as a player were in the last 2 years of his career, which can happen as you deteriate physically.

• Like 1