Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Any club in the PL would look at our last 2 seasons and never touch him with a bargepole. He'll likely go abroad. And not on holiday.

I wouldn’t bet on that - he’ll be back in the summer with someone, maybe West Ham, maybe Spurs?

In fact, I couldn’t think of anyone better suited to the Spurs job of creating faint hope but forever keeping them Spursy.

Don’t want to get carried away just yet but he and his staff have clearly made a massive difference already in just two weeks . Also noticed he seems to be more proactive  than reactive and not afraid or dilly dally’s on substitutions . In fact don’t think he’s made s wrong sub yet . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

I like what I've seen in the last 2 games. We won the second half against ManC. We stuck it out today and got the win. He's definitely done something. I'd agree that he has no ego, unlike Rodgers, and is a realist in football terms. What bothers me slightly is that he got booted at Villa. 

Villa were looking to kick on to the top 8, an didn't deem Smith of the level to do that. Managers and teams do get figured out after a while, Emery is getting praise now, but who is to say that if he's been in the job 4 years at Villa, he may struggle like Rogers did in the end.

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

I like what I've seen in the last 2 games. We won the second half against ManC. We stuck it out today and got the win. He's definitely done something. I'd agree that he has no ego, unlike Rodgers, and is a realist in football terms. What bothers me slightly is that he got booted at Villa. 

...read the prvious post from @VillaVisitor, it explains a lot!!!

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Genuinely I think he expected to get the Man Utd job as reward for that when they sacked OGS, and threw a strop when he didn't get it. Small minded man

Their was certainly a change after that.His value then started to drop with our form.Along with his demeanour.He won’t get a top job again.(Spurs not included)His Euro record is honking

5 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

As a defender I was always coached that heading the ball high and with power away from goal was preferred to trying to pick out a team mate.

It gives time for your midfield to get under it and make it a 50/50, as far away from your goal as possible.

Nod it down to a specific player, get it even slightly wrong and it’s to the feet of an attacker now running at you near to your goal. It’s a way riskier approach that top teams will take, but to get us away from relegation zone I’d imagine us taking the low risk battlers option

Noted. Sorry, I meant high balls in the middle of the park.

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I’m in agreement here and I said Smith would be a good choice before he was even linked. And the reason for that is because I think fans need to be extremely realistic in terms of what is and isn’t possible. The league has changed a LOT in just the last few seasons. 

There’s two realistic ways to be successful in this league:

1. Wealth. The sports washing nation state backed clubs. The extreme wealth of Chelsea. Even clubs like Villa throw a ton of cash around. We can’t compete with these teams financially and frankly I hope we never do. They disgust me. 

2. World class analytics. Both Brighton and Brentford have incredible analytics and data scientists that seem to be able to find talents at knock down rates. After a few false starts Brighton are smashing it out of the park and finding talents from Japan, Ecuador and Paraguay. We can definitely try to make inroads here but these guys have a leg up on everyone else in the division so far. 

3. Developing young players and selling them on. This is clearly our model, hence the massive investment in the academy. 

So that means this summer regardless of the division we are in, we will have to start a new era in terms of staff. At BEST it will be like the Puel years with 9th place’s finishes. More realistically I would imagine a few more relegation scraps whilst we develop these new players if we stay up or if we return to the top flight after a relegation. 

Puel did develop a lot of our players; Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans. But god was it miserable to watch and he did not connect with the club at all. 

Potter is a great coach in terms of football philosophy and developing a team to play that way. But he’s not the sort to connect with the fans. Look at De Zerbi who replaced him; the Brighton fans love him more than Potter already because he’s got a real attitude about him. Potter is another notebook taker. I wouldn’t be unhappy with him but I bet it would end in tears already. He’s not even as good as Rodgers who got 2nd place with Liverpool, won countless titles in Scotland as well as the FA Cup. Brighton never got to Europe despite spending more than us. 

Smith helped build Brentford. Thomas Frank was his assistant for quite a while before he left for Villa. It definitely didn’t work out at Villa / Norwich, but he did a great job at Brentford. I think he’s be a solid choice to help build the club, which will be the plan for the next 5-10 years I’d imagine. And more importantly I think the fans would like him and his football. 

Agree with most of this, but it did work out at Villa initially. They mostly adore him, but cite Terry leaving as his downfall. 

If we can keep them all together (and It seems Terry has nowhere else to be judging by his Instagram obsession with Seagrave lol), then it's a no-brainer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

As a defender I was always coached that heading the ball high and with power away from goal was preferred to trying to pick out a team mate.

It gives time for your midfield to get under it and make it a 50/50, as far away from your goal as possible.

Nod it down to a specific player, get it even slightly wrong and it’s to the feet of an attacker now running at you near to your goal. It’s a way riskier approach that top teams will take, but to get us away from relegation zone I’d imagine us taking the low risk battlers option

Pros and cons to both approaches, but the problem with just hoofing it clear, is it usually comes right back at you, pass it to a team mate, you then start a counter potentially.  Of course the risk is if you mess it up, then you immediately in danger of conceding.

I think your approach is perhaps the better one when the team has mistakes in them and is team mates up the pitch to try and win the ball.

• Like 1

These 3 look a good fit. Smith no fool and toomuch focus on managers where it went badly, ala Norwich.  He's fine some great stuff in his growing career. Players like him, doesn't hide and is honest in his assessment that he needs the likes of Terry and Shakespeare to compliment what he brings himself.

The players I'd imagine would buy in to a "3 man" approach and in truth would happily see them take on the reigns regardless of status. Just a hunch but feels like this could settle us down

9 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Just someone who doesn’t put their ego and personal issues ahead of what is best for the club. 

Time will prove Rodgers' performance at Leicester this season to be up there with the worst in the leagues history. He should never get another gig at a decent level.

• Like 1