Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

Guest bennytwohats
15 minutes ago, Sly said:

You know what, if we play like that,  I’d be happy with the trio staying in control beyond the end of the season. 

If we win more games, and stay up, we’ll see more and more of this sentiment no doubt.

For me it’s simple; the ask this season is not the same as the ask from the summer onwards (whichever league we are in). We’ve got a squad rebuild to undertake and need to instil a new long term playing style. The pool of candidates that are available and interested will be different to what they were a week ago.

This was an interim appointment to allow us to make the new permanent appointment in the summer accounting for all of those things. If we take a look at all of our options in the summer and genuinely think that Smith is the best man then so be it, but that decision should definitely not be made on sentiment or based on what he does for us in the next few games alone. Imo imo and all that.

That all said, getting back to the short term, bloke has been a breath of fresh air. He’s exactly what we needed right now.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I’m in agreement here and I said Smith would be a good choice before he was even linked. And the reason for that is because I think fans need to be extremely realistic in terms of what is and isn’t possible. The league has changed a LOT in just the last few seasons. 

There’s two realistic ways to be successful in this league:

1. Wealth. The sports washing nation state backed clubs. The extreme wealth of Chelsea. Even clubs like Villa throw a ton of cash around. We can’t compete with these teams financially and frankly I hope we never do. They disgust me. 

2. World class analytics. Both Brighton and Brentford have incredible analytics and data scientists that seem to be able to find talents at knock down rates. After a few false starts Brighton are smashing it out of the park and finding talents from Japan, Ecuador and Paraguay. We can definitely try to make inroads here but these guys have a leg up on everyone else in the division so far. 

3. Developing young players and selling them on. This is clearly our model, hence the massive investment in the academy. 

So that means this summer regardless of the division we are in, we will have to start a new era in terms of staff. At BEST it will be like the Puel years with 9th place’s finishes. More realistically I would imagine a few more relegation scraps whilst we develop these new players if we stay up or if we return to the top flight after a relegation. 

Puel did develop a lot of our players; Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans. But god was it miserable to watch and he did not connect with the club at all. 

Potter is a great coach in terms of football philosophy and developing a team to play that way. But he’s not the sort to connect with the fans. Look at De Zerbi who replaced him; the Brighton fans love him more than Potter already because he’s got a real attitude about him. Potter is another notebook taker. I wouldn’t be unhappy with him but I bet it would end in tears already. He’s not even as good as Rodgers who got 2nd place with Liverpool, won countless titles in Scotland as well as the FA Cup. Brighton never got to Europe despite spending more than us. 

Smith helped build Brentford. Thomas Frank was his assistant for quite a while before he left for Villa. It definitely didn’t work out at Villa / Norwich, but he did a great job at Brentford. I think he’s be a solid choice to help build the club, which will be the plan for the next 5-10 years I’d imagine. And more importantly I think the fans would like him and his football. 

Would we even say that it didn’t work out for him at Villa? Picked them up low down in the championship struggling, got them promoted the same year I think, and then kept them up.

It seemed more that they wanted a more fashionable name in Gerrard who didn’t even do a good job.

But he didn’t fail there, they just wanted to progress further.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

If we win more games, and stay up, we’ll see more and more of this sentiment no doubt.

For me it’s simple; the ask this season is not the same as the ask from the summer onwards (whichever league we are in). We’ve got a squad rebuild to undertake and need to instil a new long term playing style. The pool of candidates that are available and interested will be different to what they were a week ago.

This was an interim appointment to allow us to make the new permanent appointment in the summer accounting for all of those things. If we take a look at all of our options in the summer and genuinely think that Smith is the best man then so be it, but that decision should definitely not be made on sentiment or based on what he does for us in the next few games alone. Imo imo and all that.

That all said, getting back to the short term, bloke has been a breath of fresh air. He’s exactly what we needed right now.

Exactly this.

I want the next manager to be a builder  in the Pearson mould, (even Puel did this but without the connection to the fans).

For the first time in months I’ve actually pictured us staying up and starting this rebuild in the Prem so a huge thanks needs to go to Deano & co.

I just hope this rebuild includes every department being assessed on recent performance not what they did 2/3+ years ago.

An annual performance appraisal springs to mind.

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Would we even say that it didn’t work out for him at Villa? Picked them up low down in the championship struggling, got them promoted the same year I think, and then kept them up.

It seemed more that they wanted a more fashionable name in Gerrard who didn’t even do a good job.

But he didn’t fail there, they just wanted to progress further.

Ultimately he got fired after losing 5 in a row. As it turned out Villa then brought in Gerrard but it would be fair to say he underperformed once they got to the Premier League given the investment made. Unai Emery is showing he’s a class above at the moment. 

But’s that just my point. If we were to appoint a manager like Emery ourselves now, it would be a waste. The team is miles off being competitive and 8 players are out of contract in the summer. At the start of the season there’s no way anyone on here would entertain the idea of Dean Smith being our manager. But now he’s looking like a pretty solid choice, be it in the Championship or Premier League. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ultimately he got fired after losing 5 in a row. As it turned out Villa then brought in Gerrard but it would be fair to say he underperformed once they got to the Premier League given the investment made. Unai Emery is showing he’s a class above at the moment. 

But’s that just my point. If we were to appoint a manager like Emery ourselves now, it would be a waste. The team is miles off being competitive and 8 players are out of contract in the summer. At the start of the season there’s no way anyone on here would entertain the idea of Dean Smith being our manager. But now he’s looking like a pretty solid choice, be it in the Championship or Premier League. 

Ultimately all the good work Puel did (Wow! Never thought i'd be saying that during his tenure) off the field (Let me clarify! lol) moving players on, bringing playing in, building a team and squad has been ruined and undone, Rodgers went on about a rebuild, I don't subscribe to rebuilds, you should never need a rebuild, it suggests somethings gone wrong (which it has and the club allowed it to), you replace and evolve - He didn't, another reason as to why he had to be sacked, he failed.

So now, we need to start again, we need a builder, looking at the job Smith did at Brentford and Villa (Villa much reaping the rewards of Smith's work as we did Puel's) he did a good job in that department.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

I heard his post match interview last night and he basically called it like it was. Struggled for 30 minutes, made another mistake for their goal and got back into it. 

It was such a refreshing change after what we had to put up with from Rodgers.  

As for the team, they are rock bottom on confidence but they showed more fight and spirit than I’ve seen all season. Great build up for our second goal. 

One game at a time!! 

Edited by Livid
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is why I always thought ideas of Poch being mentioned when he was, was madness, not only would he not wanna come but the fit I don't think would be right. We are only ever 3 or 4 bad transfers, an a wrong managerial appointment away from struggling like the other 13 clubs in this league. We need a builder an if he's successful this season have evidence of a manager who at 2 clubs he has been at for 3 years, has left the club better than he's found it.

13 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

This is why I always thought ideas of Poch being mentioned when he was, was madness, not only would he not wanna come but the fit I don't think would be right. We are only ever 3 or 4 bad transfers, an a wrong managerial appointment away from struggling like the other 13 clubs in this league. We need a builder an if he's successful this season have evidence of a manager who at 2 clubs he has been at for 3 years, has left the club better than he's found it.

Poch is quite an interesting one there though, as he can and does tend to build things. He did so at Southampton and Spurs. He seemingly wasn't able to refresh his squad at Spurs though, although I don't know if he did actually spend funds well or not.

Regardless, I agree - I don't think now (or recently) would have been the time for Poch, or an Emery. We need a builder, as you say.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

Is this a joke?

He's done OK at Cov but he's hardly anything we'd need to get back to PL

Done ok at cov??? Really. Took them from league 2 to the championship within 4 seasons. Kept them up on prob the smallest budget in the league and currently have a chance of getting into the play offs. He would be exactly what we would need to get back into the pl. 

• Like 1

Just now, CloudFox said:

Poch is quite an interesting one there though, as he can and does tend to build things. He did so at Southampton and Spurs. He seemingly wasn't able to refresh his squad at Spurs though, although I don't know if he did actually spend funds well or not.

Regardless, I agree - I don't think now (or recently) would have been the time for Poch, or an Emery. We need a builder, as you say.

Good point with Poch at Southampton, Spurs, he has moved onto a CL level. An I guess it's just what level you are starting the building process from.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Done ok at cov??? Really. Took them from league 2 to the championship within 4 seasons. Kept them up on prob the smallest budget in the league and currently have a chance of getting into the play offs. He would be exactly what we would need to get back into the pl. 

The other thing is some managers just fit, I think his CV sounds good there. An it could work, I think we need a Midlands/Northerner character at the club, instill that togetherness and work rate in. Other than Smith/ Robins there aren't to many of those. Or somebody that's worked his way up from the lower leagues as u say Robins, Michael Duff has been mentioned. It doesn't strike me as the time for a glammer name regardless of the division next season.

Edited by Beachyboy

I get the feeling the longer term appointment of Dean Smith and the staff will be dependable on their demands, I think Top will be being very cautious not to get stung with a Rodger’s style contract situation, I think the days of us throwing the money about are over. 

i expect to see lots of links with other managers even if we beat the drop to show Dean and the team we won’t be signing a blank cheque.

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

2. World class analytics. Both Brighton and Brentford have incredible analytics and data scientists that seem to be able to find talents at knock down rates. After a few false starts Brighton are smashing it out of the park and finding talents from Japan, Ecuador and Paraguay. We can definitely try to make inroads here but these guys have a leg up on everyone else in the division so far. 

You don't even need world class analytics for this really, most people were aware of Julio Enciso and his potential way before he joined Brighton.

Sorry to go off topic here but moat of the threads regarding Brendan have been closed.

But does anyone think that yesterday's fame just showed Brendan had made everything to personal and all about him, still looking back it seems he was begging to be sacked.

Not having cags in the side for all those months and starting ward, on yesterday's evidence just smacks of stubbornness or stupidity.

I'd say we would be about 12 points better off had we had cags in the side for the bulk of the season. Leaving us nowhere near this horid relegation battle.

Obviously it's easy for Dean to come in and have a clean slate with everyone and know that any chance of keeping the job lies with keeping us up. But the absolute distain with which Brendan managed the team in the last 18 months really winds me up.

Really hope we can now carry on the momentum and positivity into the next 2.

But if nothing else not having to listen to Brendan post match is a breath of fresh air lol

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Currently feels like a good match for our club. Very rarely did you hear the fans chant Brendans name. I think that says a lot. 

I dunno…. In the last few weeks I heard Brendan’s name being chanted quite a bit!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Haha 1

I have never liked Villa but when he was in charge of them Smith was the best thing about them. Always seemed calm whether they were doing well or poorly and seemed to have a lot of class. Added to that he was a boyhood Villan you can see why they still have a soft spot for him like we do Nigel Pearson. Delighted he is in charge, especially when we were linked to the classless Marsch. I think it's important fans have a rapport with the manager.

• Like 1