Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

The standard of coaching is much improved, it's arguably more frustrating now that we're missing the final ball so often, when before we were just completely crap. But he has to start getting his team selections right, rather than relying on the subs. A much recognized improvement, but in three games we've not got going until we've made subs after half time.

• Like 1

If Smith came in earlier, I think we'd be safe. He's done a decent job so far. So annoying we didn't have him in for Bournemouth at home.

15 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

The standard of coaching is much improved, it's arguably more frustrating now that we're missing the final ball so often, when before we were just completely crap. But he has to start getting his team selections right, rather than relying on the subs. A much recognized improvement, but in three games we've not got going until we've made subs after half time.

I'd agree, but he's going to need time to learn who his best team is. You may also get situations where players who are good in training aren't that good in the match (Tete I suspect is the prime offender for this), and vice versa.

• Like 4

On 26/04/2023 at 05:27, StriderHiryu said:

If Smith came in earlier, I think we'd be safe. He's done a decent job so far. So annoying we didn't have him in for Bournemouth at home.

I'd agree, but he's going to need time to learn who his best team is. You may also get situations where players who are good in training aren't that good in the match (Tete I suspect is the prime offender for this), and vice versa.

Indeed. Bournemouth was another critical game against a relegation opponent. We did not fight and lost such an important game. We should really not be here if Smith came in a few games earlier. 

On 26/04/2023 at 05:27, StriderHiryu said:

Indeed. Bournemouth was another critical game against a relegation opponent. We did not fight and lost such an important game. We should really not be here if Smith came in a few games earlier. 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 23:47, Nicolo Barella said:

I agree with you. Palace did it successfully a couple years back though.

Jardim 

Hodgson

Wenger

Houllier
Abram Grant

Villa Boas

Rangnick

Alberto Parriera

Even Mourinho wasn’t exactly professional. 

It can be done, albeit it isn’t the conventional route.

52 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think regardless of relegation, if performances are good he’s probably the man to take us up along with John terry, get a Nigel Pearson sort of feeling from him 

Surely the only way he won't get the job is if we lose our remaining games and go down with a whimper, which is not going to happen. Either survival or relegation but with a clear improvement will probably get him the job. Unless of course we survive and the club remains dead set on Potter....

• Like 1

I think Smith is the right man for us now but I wouldn't want him in charge if we survive and are going for europe ever again. He doesn't have the tactical nouse to set up a team to be challenging at that end of the table imo. It's harsh as he would have performed a miracle to keep us up but he's not the level required!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, shailen said:

I think Smith is the right man for us now but I wouldn't want him in charge if we survive and are going for europe ever again. He doesn't have the tactical nouse to set up a team to be challenging at that end of the table imo. It's harsh as he would have performed a miracle to keep us up but he's not the level required!! 

Going for Europe? Have you watched us this season? Stay up or down, we are a long way away from that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Going for Europe? Have you watched us this season? Stay up or down, we are a long way away from that.

Exactly. Given the rebuild required this summer and the lack of funds for that, we're nailed on to be in a relegation battle next season too, IF we stay up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shailen said:

Europe is a million miles off, coventry is closer at the min.

2 hours ago, shailen said:

He's working with what he's got, a squad that's been demoralised and brainwashed.

How could you even compare what he has now to what he would need to qualify for europe. That would be a whole new chapter, nothing like what he's doing now.

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Coventry will always be closer than Europe 🤣🤣

On twitter I once saw some self-styled geography 'expert' claim that Coventry is actually IN Europe :D Thankfully he got piled on and ended up deleting his account and going into hiding, the mad weirdo...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Exactly. Given the rebuild required this summer and the lack of funds for that, we're nailed on to be in a relegation battle next season too, IF we stay up.

Highly likely, unless we have an unprecedentedly successful summer transfer window of player recruitment.

I presume that will depend greatly on how good (or lucky) Martyn Glover is, in combination with Rudkin.

If Deano's promising start continues and we survive relegation, the rebuild might be another argument for offering him the job longer-term.

This period as interim manager should give him the ability to have some input into that rebuild: identifying qualities and potential of players who are staying, positions and types of signings required re. potential formations/tactics etc.

Unless we already have a secret deal set up with an incoming wonder-manager (highly unlikely), if Deano continues as he's started, I hope he and his sidekicks get the gig at the end of the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think regardless of relegation, if performances are good he’s probably the man to take us up along with John terry, get a Nigel Pearson sort of feeling from him 

I think that’s a fair point. 

I feel if we get relegated then he’d be able to do the rebuilding job and we’d be well coached and he’s experienced in the championship.

id have reservations about him getting us back into being a top 10 prem team though.. which had to be our aim and I feel like a rebuild job in the prem will be a lot tougher job..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

On twitter I once saw some self-styled geography 'expert' claim that Coventry is actually IN Europe :D Thankfully he got piled on and ended up deleting his account and going into hiding, the mad weirdo...

... you probably could have stated that Covenry is in Europe, as England (UK) is a European country!!! 

As a geography expert he needed to have clarified his statement,  in respect of land mass.  

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

He shouldn’t be given after the summer if he keeps us up.

Give him his payoff, say cheers, and get Potter or Frank and their whole coaching set up and scouting network.