Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Even if we stay up whos actually convinced the club are in a position to fund the much needed overhaul of the team?

Selling Madders may generate 50m as a start but its highly dubious we are any more financially ambitious than we were at the start of last season.

Smith if keeping us up would happily work within that structure, I'm not convinced Potter and Co would?

I expect Glover will use his contacts to source some youth talent on season loans to complement full signings , but defo I don’t see there being a war chest whoever comes in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

I expect Glover will use his contacts to source some youth talent on season loans to complement full signings , but defo I don’t see there being a war chest whoever comes in.

yeah because that approach has done so well for southampton. 

I understand there’s a few gems who are attainable due to blocked pathways. But building our club on the foundation of top clubs rejects is a dangerous approach.  

One or 2 to squad fill absolutely but you don’t replace a youri or maddison with one of those imo. 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

I understand there’s a few gems who are attainable due to blocked pathways. But building our club on the foundation of top clubs rejects is a dangerous approach.  

One or 2 to squad fill absolutely but you don’t replace a youri or maddison with one of those imo. 

There’s a risk absolutely but if we are to believe finances are tight based on FFP / losses in recent seasons we will have to take a gamble. 

Regarding finances the Top did make a statement around the time he did the equity swap that the summer rebuild is still on course. I guess the question is, is that before the 8 contracts expire (a saving of about 40m annually) and before the sale of Madders (likely 50m) 

potentially the sale of Barnes? (£30m) 

If we stay up, let the contracts run out, sell those 2 we could raise £120m just from those. If there was finances in place before those were taken into account we could see a half decent window potentially. 

All speculation of course.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

We aren’t replacing the Youri of 2 years ago We are replacing the Youri of today

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

We of course don't know what Glover has up his sleeve but, cheap players or rejects like Vardy, Marhez, Kante, Maguire, Soyuncu, Evans, Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Huth, Morgan, Albrighton etc did us proud. Not many of those in the Rodgers and Congerton era eh?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

We of course don't know what Glover has up his sleeve but, cheap players or rejects like Vardy, Marhez, Kante, Maguire, Soyuncu, Evans, Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Huth, Morgan, Albrighton etc did us proud. Not many of those in the Rodgers and Congerton era eh?

I don’t think it’s fair to put them all in the same category of what i was discussing. Literally the only ones that were just players from an academy that didn’t have a route to the first team were james, delaet and drinkwater. and even drinkwater had been loaned to the championship so it’s not like he was a pure rescue from the academy. 

I’m all for going for hidden gems, my point was that you have to be careful in trying to fill your squad with bigger clubs youth prospects, which honestly is why i think southampton are in the situation they are in. They focused too much on that profile and should have been mixing it up more with a few more established pros. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Rudkin and Whelan would need to be fired for gross misconduct if they only got £30m for Barnes

Was going to highlight this. Maybe if he had one year left and we desperately needed funds. No way he goes for that if we stay up. If we went down then it could be a fire sale so maybe.

7 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I’m all for going for hidden gems, my point was that you have to be careful in trying to fill your squad with bigger clubs youth prospects, which honestly is why i think southampton are in the situation they are in. They focused too much on that profile and should have been mixing it up more with a few more established pros. 

Maybe.

But I suspect it's more just that no club outside the stinking rich seven can keep getting it right all the time. Without effectively unlimited resources it's going to go at least a bit wrong for everyone every few years. Especially as when it does go right and you unearth great players cheaply, the rich clubs just sign them. I don't think there's a club outside the horrible seven that is isn't always in danger of having a struggling season. And once you're down there, it can easily go very wrong - after all, someone has to be in those bottom three places at the end of the season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

If he keeps us it would be hard to sack him.

Absolutely not. We need to bring someone in who can build something, which is a totally.different job.  He can't just get the gig for a survival run. 

59 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Maybe.

But I suspect it's more just that no club outside the stinking rich seven can keep getting it right all the time. Without effectively unlimited resources it's going to go at least a bit wrong for everyone every few years. Especially as when it does go right and you unearth great players cheaply, the rich clubs just sign them. I don't think there's a club outside the horrible seven that is isn't always in danger of having a struggling season. And once you're down there, it can easily go very wrong - after all, someone has to be in those bottom three places at the end of the season.

I agree with this, I do think the promoted teams where the margins now seem smaller though don't need to just look to survive, a top 10 finish is a possibility. The issue with all teams though is after a season, other teams figure out your style of play and the 2nd season is often harder, an like you say its harder to keep evolving every 2-3 years.

Edited by Beachyboy

54 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Absolutely not. We need to bring someone in who can build something, which is a totally.different job.  He can't just get the gig for a survival run. 

He's in the hat though, if we survive I'd expect a thorough analysis of what went wrong, a plan of what we need to move forward and the interview process to be presentations from each candidate on how they would implement a rebuild. Smith as others have said would surely be 2 months knowledge ahead of some other applications in who to keep and get rid of.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Did he not build most of this current Villa team?

He signed 5 of Villas starting line up yesterday, Martinez, Mings, Konsa, Luiz and Watkins (over 2 summer windows). Considering our summer in 2018 of 4 first 11 players in Soyuncu, Evans, Maddison, Ricardo is thought to be a success, I'd say that's good going. You take the same timeline of 3 years later from that, we only had 1 out of those 4 consistently in the team.

Edited by Beachyboy

52 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

He's in the hat though, if we survive I'd expect a thorough analysis of what went wrong, a plan of what we need to move forward and the interview process to be presentations from each candidate on how they would implement a rebuild. Smith as others have said would surely be 2 months knowledge ahead of some other applications in who to keep and get rid of.

100 % in the hat. But he doesn't  get the job just for keeping us up

I expect he gets a fat bonus

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

Sure it would put him in the hat and we would be silly to dismiss him without knowing who else might be interested.

I don’t think there is much advantage in knowing who to keep and who to get rid of as most of that is already decided given the contract fiasco.