Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

I don’t think this problem is specifically on Smith as probably been an issue before but when consider the size of the past two games.

When you break down the 3 goals conceded, they all looked as follows -

Leeds - VK invites (miserably) Harrison onto his stronger foot and gives him all the time in the world to pick out a good cross with Faes (CB who can see the width of the pitch not communicating) and Castagne getting caught under it for a header at the back post.

Everton - penalty.

Barnes gives acres of space for Coleman to loft a ball into the box for DCL to gather, Faes gets caught under the ball and doesn’t know where DCL is…Castagne makes a brain dead and unnecessary tackle in the box.

Everton - Iwobi.

Castagne dangles a leg but ultimately puts minimal pressure on McNeil to whip in a cross, Faes somehow heads the ball sideways rather than away from danger and Thomas defends like a child with no closing down and turns his back on Iwobi.

The common theme is Sunday league stuff, we’re too passive with our prevention of balls into the box, Faes is a bang average CB who can’t remain switched on for the full 90 minutes and our FB’s are weak/not great defensively, particularly on second balls.

If Smith and co don’t get them watching these goals and working on them in training then this season will end as miserably as it started IMO.

• Like 4

We only have 4 games to work from, and i know not all fixtures line up evenly, but this is Deans time in the form table:

image.png.6d013f0ffcd4aeb1cc2ee377e42aba2e.png

When you consider the 8 games that proceeded it, including defeats to Blackburn, Southampton, Chelsea, Palace and Bournmouth, some where we registered very little shots anywhere near goal, i think he's done about as much as he can. Would have bitten your hand off to have been there after first 4 games of the season, or the first 4 games after the world cup.  

Interesting to see where Fulham sit in that form guide, who also play tomorrow.  Keep saying its very, very winnable.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

'penalty chat between Maddison and Tielemans' kind of goes against what Smith said about a hierarchy of which  Maddison is at the top. Technically should be no need for a chat it there's a hierarchy. 

As I said last night, Smith's comments wound me up quite abit.

Since he's come in he's come across as speaking sense, with honesty and reason, no bullshit or riddles, until last night.

I slagged Rodgers off enough for many of his comments, I can't let Smith's comments slide from last night.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shiv said:

Subs were far too late but aside from that I’ve been happy with how he’s approached games.

You also have to remember he’s having to figure out the best XI as he goes along due to the time he’s had. 

To be fair the best 11 picks itself, not many options or tinkering can be done with what we have, but set up and game management, ie subs were slow and late respectively.

31 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We only have 4 games to work from, and i know not all fixtures line up evenly, but this is Deans time in the form table:

image.png.6d013f0ffcd4aeb1cc2ee377e42aba2e.png

When you consider the 8 games that proceeded it, including defeats to Blackburn, Southampton, Chelsea, Palace and Bournmouth, some where we registered very little shots anywhere near goal, i think he's done about as much as he can. Would have bitten your hand off to have been there after first 4 games of the season, or the first 4 games after the world cup.  

Interesting to see where Fulham sit in that form guide, who also play tomorrow.  Keep saying its very, very winnable.

before last night he has got everything right, but not sure about the inclusion of Thomas/Nididi and the midfield was non existent last night

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

'penalty chat between Maddison and Tielemans' kind of goes against what Smith said about a hierarchy of which  Maddison is at the top. Technically should be no need for a chat it there's a hierarchy. 

Blackwell is quoting what he was told by kel, after wolves and then making an assumptive observation about last nights events 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Well my take on both situations was that Youri was trying to take the pressure away by standing on the spot with the ball. I think it was Trippier that did it earlier in the season, take all the pressure then hand the ball to someone who just has to quickly put it away. It didnt look like youri had any intention to take either imo 

• Like 3

I'm not sure it's fair to wholly blame Smith for last night.

He can only use the players he has to choose from.

I think he may have chose Thomas to keep Gray quiet.

The thing I question about last night was why didn't he play Souttar knowing Everton would target Thomas and fire Balls early into the box. Then still didn't bring him in as the game unfolded.

Very strange decision.

I like Dean Smith's honesty and general reading of the game post match. I like what he's done with Soumare and Soyuncu and Vardy. 

However, tactically it's been poor. The containing low block v Man City to eek out the first 20 mins was a disaster. Even at the time I felt a high tempo start would've been preferable. 

Then 2 games with the appalling Tete. 

Then not to play Souttar last night, who'd have relished the long balls. And of all games to drop a 6ft  VK for a weak 5ft 8 lad, he does it against a Dyche team. 

The lack of control in midfield is concerning. We have Mendy and Praet who can glue the ball to their feet and both are positionally strong. KDH has been shocking but we need to introduce his energy as a sub. 

• Like 2

I think he's generally made good changes in game, but not got the start right. And even then, he's credited for the HT change against Wolves but it seemed likely from the off that we could be overrun in midfield.

We also seemed to just go along with the chaos for the Everton game. Don't want us to lose the attacking mindset he's instilled but would like us to show a bit more control against Fulham. I think with it not being a 6 pointer then there's a fair chance of that, but I haven't seen it yet with Smith.

• Like 1

i wonder if the chaos of the first half on monday encouraged smith to stick with the formation that hadnt worked as he expected it to. the game became a sort of 'who is most likely to take their chances'  one and perhaps they felt that would mean we come out on top based on everton's goal record. the fact they only scored a pen in that first 45 with all those openings maybe cemented that opinion. 

once they equalised he didn't make a change that you'd expect to help our defensive structure  so this also backs up that view. the fact that this change made us look more solid for twenty mins was uncertain at best although i thought we should have changed it at HT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Dean, Shakespeare and Terry seem like great coaches in everyday training of players and helping them personally.

Just seems like the tactical nous is lacking in managing games.

True but I think they are handicapped by the time they have to get to know and work with players. CS will know a lot of staff and a few players but they will want to form their own opinions and they don’t have much time to try things out. It doesn’t always click first time. I think they have done pretty well so far and the confidence and desire seems to have improved for sure. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I like Dean Smith's honesty and general reading of the game post match. I like what he's done with Soumare and Soyuncu and Vardy. 

However, tactically it's been poor. The containing low block v Man City to eek out the first 20 mins was a disaster. Even at the time I felt a high tempo start would've been preferable. 

Then 2 games with the appalling Tete. 

Then not to play Souttar last night, who'd have relished the long balls. And of all games to drop a 6ft  VK for a weak 5ft 8 lad, he does it against a Dyche team. 

The lack of control in midfield is concerning. We have Mendy and Praet who can glue the ball to their feet and both are positionally strong. KDH has been shocking but we need to introduce his energy as a sub. 

I am with Vardy on this one.

The midfield is the least important area of the pitch, the business happens in front of goal at each end.

Rodgers tried the control midfield approach and how well did that work out?

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

True but I think they are handicapped by the time they have to get to know and work with players. CS will know a lot of staff and a few players but they will want to form their own opinions and they don’t have much time to try things out. It doesn’t always click first time. I think they have done pretty well so far and the confidence and desire seems to have improved for sure. 

Surely Saddler and Stowell would have told Dean that it would be suicidal to play Luke Thomas, as they've witnessed opposition teams out muscle him over the past 2 seasons.

Stowell seems to be very chatty with the new appointments as well.

22 hours ago, Matt said:

As I said last night, Smith's comments wound me up quite abit.

Since he's come in he's come across as speaking sense, with honesty and reason, no bullshit or riddles, until last night.

I slagged Rodgers off enough for many of his comments, I can't let Smith's comments slide from last night.

Have to agree with this. I've found Smith refreshing in all interviews so far, but the one on the penalty situation just screamed of saving face. 

I just hope he asked them what the **** they were doing and made sure it isn't going to happen again. It can only help a goalkeeper to see such indecisiveness as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I am with Vardy on this one.

The midfield is the least important area of the pitch, the business happens in front of goal at each end.

Rodgers tried the control midfield approach and how well did that work out?

Vardy is just parroting what Smith said about being better in both boxes, yes that's where the games won in the boxes, but the midfield dictates the tempo and pace at which the game is played, at 2-1 a midfielder that just put his foot on the ball and slowed the tempo, wouldn't of allowed Everton to build momentum. Dare I say at 2-1 some Rogers ball may of been useful as long as weren't over playing in dangerous areas. You could see the approach go for a third, we just left ourselves wide open, a 2-1 scoreline with 15 minutes left would of seen us have a lot more chances on the counter.

Edited by Beachyboy

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Have to agree with this. I've found Smith refreshing in all interviews so far, but the one on the penalty situation just screamed of saving face. 

I just hope he asked them what the **** they were doing and made sure it isn't going to happen again. It can only help a goalkeeper to see such indecisiveness as well.

If we've learned anything from this season, it's that you don't get good performances from this group by throwing them under the bus. If what Smith said publicly wasn't the actual reality, I've no doubt he will deal with it privately, like should be the case in most instances. Calling out players Mourinho style is the last resort, not appropriate in our situation.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

If we've learned anything from this season, it's that you don't get good performances from this group by throwing them under the bus. If what Smith said publicly wasn't the actual reality, I've no doubt he will deal with it privately, like should be the case in most instances. Calling out players Mourinho style is the last resort, not appropriate in our situation.

Im not asking him to call them out, I just think we're all more than done with bullshit in interviews after Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

Vardy is just parroting what Smith said about being better in both boxes, yes that's where the games won in the boxes, but the midfield dictates the tempo and pace at which the game is played, at 2-1 a midfielder that just put his foot on the ball and slowed the tempo, wouldn't of allowed Everton to build momentum. Dare I say at 2-1 some Rogers ball may of been useful as long as weren't over playing in dangerous areas. You could see the approach go for a third, we just left ourselves wide open, a 2-1 scoreline with 15 minutes left would of seen us have a lot more chances on the counter.

Our recent goals conceded had very little to do with the midfield though mate.

Our pressing is none existent, we allow balls to be crossed/pumped into our box with minimal pressure and have defenders who collectively don’t defend/communicate to each other about threats etc.

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Surely Saddler and Stowell would have told Dean that it would be suicidal to play Luke Thomas, as they've witnessed opposition teams out muscle him over the past 2 seasons.

Stowell seems to be very chatty with the new appointments as well.

I don’t know Stowell at all but he may just be trying to get in with the new boss. He has been around for ever so presumably just wants to keep his job. I think it is difficult for any new manager to come in and rely too much on the recommendations of existing staff. If you keep doing the same thing a then you’ll get the same outcome and all that.

I think people have been a bit harsh on Thomas in that game to be honest. I don’t think VK has been great recently. I do think the latter will play for the remaining games though. Neither are as as good as james Justin mind and they don’t get much cover in front of them. 

I also feel  the new management team should try bringing Mendy and/or kdh back into midfield. We need more energy and ability to move it around. Ndidi isn’t himself and tielemans not back to fitness. I love them both but no time for sentiment at this stage. I do think we have a good shot against Fulham though and definitely West Ham. We may surprise ourselves against Liverpool and newcastle too. The resurgence of Vardy Cags Iversen and soumare is just the tonic we need and may spark a few others back to their best. Let’s hope so. 

• Like 1