Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

16 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Our recent goals conceded had very little to do with the midfield though mate.

Our pressing is none existent, we allow balls to be crossed/pumped into our box with minimal pressure and have defenders who collectively don’t defend/communicate to each other about threats etc.

Valid point 3/4 last goals were from crosses, there an Ndidi handball from a man city cross, maybe the Stones goal was from a corner. John Terry can't be happy with some of the defending he's watching.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Im not asking him to call them out, I just think we're all more than done with bullshit in interviews after Rodgers. 

It’s not compatible though. For starters, what Smith says makes sense whether it was the reality or not. Secondly he is taking responsibility, something you wouldn’t have from Rodgers.

I’m sure all managers will word things in interview at times to keep matters behind closed doors when necessary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Have to agree with this. I've found Smith refreshing in all interviews so far, but the one on the penalty situation just screamed of saving face. 

I just hope he asked them what the **** they were doing and made sure it isn't going to happen again. It can only help a goalkeeper to see such indecisiveness as well.

...I believe what he said was true, but it made no sense!!!

As Vardy at no time introduced himself in the situation, it seems as if he was aware that he was not going to be involved. Tielemans may just have been a decoy with him holding the ball as he would have been aware of who the actual penalty taker would be.

When I heard the explanation I was astounded, Vardy if he is on the pitch and has not been fouled, he takes the penalty. Nacho took the previous penalty against Wolves, as he is not on the pitch Smith's explanation holds water, but it is totally misguided.

• Like 2

You could sense as he was saying it he didn't sound convinced in his own words. But then he's here for eight games and potentially making big issues isn't worth it.

Think we're seeing what a tough job he has taken on. In black and white terms we have improved three places and two points. Unbeaten in three having lost 9 in 10. But two draws in games we really needed to win. This fully shows that you need to allow new managers time and breathing space in the table.

• Like 4

On 01/05/2023 at 09:09, ronnup said:

100 % in the hat. But he doesn't  get the job just for keeping us up

I expect he gets a fat bonus

I will get a fat "bonus" if we stay up too!

That is Roman, isn't it?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Picking Thomas and especially Nididi has left me feeling worried. Awful performance against Everton and pretty poor against Leeds

I agree but it’s been no better for most of this season. 

Smith has applied a tourniquet to the team, stopping the constant flow of losing games when under Rodgers.  

However,  he’s not the messiah and he’s not able to get the sick patient walking about again any time soon. The team have been in a semi induced coma since August. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Picking Thomas and especially Nididi has left me feeling worried. Awful performance against Everton and pretty poor against Leeds

A few games in, he will still be trying to work out what works and what doesn't.  Ndidi was likely used to try and combat Evertons physicality. Not my choice, but i can appreciate why.

I am wondering if Thomas was used out of necessity. Victor didn't have a great game against Leeds, and we forget he is very young and still adjusting to life in the UK and the Premiership. 

We forget that it took Eddie Howe, Emery and Lopetegui a few games to get going and find what works for them. In 4, Dean has got 5 points. Its as good a turnaround as i think was realistically possible.

On 02/05/2023 at 21:36, Paninistickers said:

I like Dean Smith's honesty and general reading of the game post match. I like what he's done with Soumare and Soyuncu and Vardy. 

However, tactically it's been poor. The containing low block v Man City to eek out the first 20 mins was a disaster. Even at the time I felt a high tempo start would've been preferable. 

Then 2 games with the appalling Tete. 

Then not to play Souttar last night, who'd have relished the long balls. And of all games to drop a 6ft  VK for a weak 5ft 8 lad, he does it against a Dyche team. 

The lack of control in midfield is concerning. We have Mendy and Praet who can glue the ball to their feet and both are positionally strong. KDH has been shocking but we need to introduce his energy as a sub. 

Luke is actually 5ft 11.

He's also better in the air and wins more than most in the side its actually one of  his strengths.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's done OK so far, the things I'm surprised he hasn't done is utilise the players that do press well such as KDH. It seems at the minute he's not the sort of player he wants in and yet it was KDH who helped turned the game vs Wolves and the only win so far we've had.

Smith's teams are notorious at pressing and the sheer level of shots and crosses we allow teams to have I'm surprised getting us to press more and being aerially dominant (using Souttar) isn't a huge priority. 

Hopefully we get it spot on vs Fulham, time is running out.

Kdh was honestly awful in that match, he only changed the game by giving wolves player someone else to look out for. I will say that I don't mind his energy when closing out games

Given the complete and utter 5h1t show he inherited, Smith has done ok, the truth is the board left it way too late to act and give a new manager any reasonable time to address the issues left by Rodgers and his cronies. 

IMO the reason we have looked so poor out of possession is due to the fact we do not look as fit as most of the teams we play against, our inability to play high intensity, our pressing is so tepid and our transitions especially defensively are woeful, it looks to me like our lads are 5/10% off the fitness levels required to compete in the premier league and have looked like that for the majority of the season. Unfortunately that is very difficult to fix when yon have games coming thick and fast with a rake of confidence and tactical deficiencies to iron out too. 

I have warmed to the new management team, way more than I expected however my biggest fear will be if Terry isn’t interested in staying, as I think he is a key component of this team and without him I don’t think Smith & Shakey are anywhere near as effective. 

just a bit of out of the box thinking but thoughts on Smith replacing Rudkin as DoF and Terry taking the Manager role with Shakey as Assistant Manager, now that would get me excited for next season and retain some continuity. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Mawuli said:

Kdh was honestly awful in that match, he only changed the game by giving wolves player someone else to look out for. I will say that I don't mind his energy when closing out games

He had one of those games where he was a nuisance, both good and bad. We completely took control of the midfield though that half, where in the 1st we'd been completely overpowered. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He had one of those games where he was a nuisance, both good and bad. We completely took control of the midfield though that half, where in the 1st we'd been completely overpowered. 

I'd have brought him on at half time against Everton, we were getting overran on the left side of the pitch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Claridge said:

Kristiensen is no better than Thomas though.

• Haha 2

He has to get it right vs Fulham. Its hard coming in and picking up the mess that Rodgers left but there's no more wiggle room now every selection and game plan has to be perfect going forwards. 

He's said all the right things so far, its time to do the right things too. 

3 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Given the complete and utter 5h1t show he inherited, Smith has done ok, the truth is the board left it way too late to act and give a new manager any reasonable time to address the issues left by Rodgers and his cronies. 

IMO the reason we have looked so poor out of possession is due to the fact we do not look as fit as most of the teams we play against, our inability to play high intensity, our pressing is so tepid and our transitions especially defensively are woeful, it looks to me like our lads are 5/10% off the fitness levels required to compete in the premier league and have looked like that for the majority of the season. Unfortunately that is very difficult to fix when yon have games coming thick and fast with a rake of confidence and tactical deficiencies to iron out too. 

I have warmed to the new management team, way more than I expected however my biggest fear will be if Terry isn’t interested in staying, as I think he is a key component of this team and without him I don’t think Smith & Shakey are anywhere near as effective. 

just a bit of out of the box thinking but thoughts on Smith replacing Rudkin as DoF and Terry taking the Manager role with Shakey as Assistant Manager, now that would get me excited for next season and retain some continuity. 

Terry’s said he doesn’t want to be a manager recently.

He’s living at seagrave atm too seems very much a temporary thing for him

Have we really improved that much, in the space of a month unlucky to lose to Palace (interns of conceding late) and faced 30 shots away. Which at the time was considered a sackable offence in itself.

To facing 23 shots against Everton at home.

One thing is for sure that if we allow Newcastle and Liverpool to pose that much of an attacking threat we won’t just be conceding 2 goals.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

.. I  have no idea what Terry's role is within this group, it would be obviously to speculate that he organises the defence!!!

Whatever he brings it is as part of the group and I am not looking to attribute accolades to something without proof.

41 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Have we really improved that much, in the space of a month unlucky to lose to Palace (interns of conceding late) and faced 30 shots away. Which at the time was considered a sackable offence in itself.

To facing 23 shots against Everton at home.

One thing is for sure that if we allow Newcastle and Liverpool to pose that much of an attacking threat we won’t just be conceding 2 goals.

Smith goes with lots of attackers, which I sort of understand considering the position we're in, but it does leave us open. Newcastle/Liverpool will have a hat full against us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Smith goes with lots of attackers, which I sort of understand considering the position we're in, but it does leave us open. Newcastle/Liverpool will have a hat full against us.

Do you actually believe that we'll play the same tactics against Liverpool and Newcastle that we did against Wolves, Leeds and Everton?

• Like 1

After the wolves game I was hopeful after him starting with 3 forwards. Now it seems his tactics are to stop the opposition rather than imposing ourselves on them. I understand we nacho being injured and Daka looking dreadful it becomes more difficult. When Barnes was rightly took off against Everton I was hoping he’d bring Tete on. I get Tete hasn’t looked at it but would of been my pick to bring on. Instead Praet comes on who isn’t a winger.