Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Smith's teams are notorious at pressing and the sheer level of shots and crosses we allow teams to have I'm surprised getting us to press more and being aerially dominant (using Souttar) isn't a huge priority. 

.. just going back to the League Cup Semi, at home, where his team choked the life out of us!!!

It was pretty obvious that he had done his work, and although infuriated that Rodgers made no attempt to counter it, I was begrudgingly impressed by what he had done.

As I previously stated elsewhere, I  was amazed that he did not use the same or similar tactics, and we went on to  beat them convincingly. 

It feels as if we might as well have Hasenhuttl, because from time to time we are going to be battered by some teams. Probably a good enough reason Hasenhuttl is nowhere near this club in any way shape or form. 

It is also time Barnes start to listen to Vardy, if he cannot see the opportunity to learn from a player of his stature, whilst playing alongside him.

When Vardy ask you to help with the press, you press!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Do you actually believe that we'll play the same tactics against Liverpool and Newcastle that we did against Wolves, Leeds and Everton?

Why won't we? We need to win.

51 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why won't we? We need to win.

There are different ways to win football matches. Smith obviously decided to try to play on the front foot in the home games against Wolves and Everton, and away at Leeds, most likely because of the quality of the opposition. It ultimately worked against Wolves but required some tactical tweaks at half-time; it should have worked against Leeds (we were the better side by far but couldn't turn our dominance into clear-cut chances); against Everton it only worked for isolated periods and we were reliant on Iversen to keep us in the game.

Smith will know that playing without any CDMs (or a malfunctioning CDM like Ndidi) and allowing Liverpool or Newcastle to dominate the midfield would be suicide, so I expect him to try to protect the defence more in those games with the aim of threatening on the counter-attack. Fulham is more difficult to call as they're not the same quality as Liverpool or Newcastle and are more obviously beatable - but they're a decent side and they'll be at home, so my guess is that he'll probably be more cautious against them too.

Then, depending on how these three games pan out, we will either see a kamikaze formation or an ultra-cautious one in the last game against West Ham...

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s not compatible though. For starters, what Smith says makes sense whether it was the reality or not. Secondly he is taking responsibility, something you wouldn’t have from Rodgers.

I’m sure all managers will word things in interview at times to keep matters behind closed doors when necessary.

It would make sense if Nacho didn't say the week before that he took it because Vardy wasn't able to

3 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Rick we are missing the analysis from your mates at BSLB. Where on earth have they been? The next show will have to be 3 hours long just to cover all the games they’ve missed!

This week's pod is up pal??

• Like 1

I think we’ve seen a bit of a reaction by the players but nothing memorising. I was really disappointed against Everton because it just reminded me of a very poorly coached Brendan Rodgers team. That said, it’s going to take a lot of time to get the Rodgers  cloud out of his team. Just hope Dean can do it in time. Still think we look soft 

• Like 1

Not going to feel safe until the last kick of the game against the Hammers (unless we win the next 2 and Everton and Forest lose them both...) Then I'll feel more confident. Surely even we can't lose so badly as to remove our goal difference advantage ... 

2 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I think we’ve seen a bit of a reaction by the players but nothing memorising. I was really disappointed against Everton because it just reminded me of a very poorly coached Brendan Rodgers team. That said, it’s going to take a lot of time to get the Rodgers  cloud out of his team. Just hope Dean can do it in time. Still think we look soft 

...looks like Sadler is still having an input, advising on the sideline!!!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Have we really improved that much, in the space of a month unlucky to lose to Palace (interns of conceding late) and faced 30 shots away. Which at the time was considered a sackable offence in itself.

To facing 23 shots against Everton at home.

One thing is for sure that if we allow Newcastle and Liverpool to pose that much of an attacking threat we won’t just be conceding 2 goals.

Look at how many shots we had against palace, and look at the games since, of course we have improved.

I am very surprised someone other than Rodgers thinks we was unlucky to lose, they completely romped all over us.

16 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

At least he’s picking up some results…

Yep. If he’d been appointed halfway through the season and the team’s results had improved in the same way, we’d probably be fairly pleased. But the looming prospect of relegation means we have a different perspective.

14 hours ago, Claridge said:

Said know one ever

I don't rate Thomas, said it ages ago on here (and got slated if I recall), but Kristiensen hasn't done anything to show he's better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...suicidal...!!!

We played an Everton side that was not performing and we were comprehensively destroyed,  needing our keeper to have the game of his life.

We can't try to win the game in the first 20 minutes. 

My point is we have played like this in all of Smith's four games. It was a suicidal approach at Leeds really but we need points.

Anyway, @ClaphamFox response to me was the one I agree with.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1