Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

10 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Do you think big Sam would of been a better move? 

Definitely not haha. We couldn’t have done much better than Smith given our predicament but I don’t really want him as manager past the summer. 

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yep. If he’d been appointed halfway through the season and the team’s results had improved in the same way, we’d probably be fairly pleased. But the looming prospect of relegation means we have a different perspective.

Even if he picks up 5 points out of the last 4, like he has done the first 4 games, he's done his bit I'd say. 10 points from 24 is 47-48 over a season which gets between 11th-13th this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Look at how many shots we had against palace, and look at the games since, of course we have improved.

I am very surprised someone other than Rodgers thinks we was unlucky to lose, they completely romped all over us.

2 shots on target vs Palace

4 against Man City hard to tell how much that second half performance was down to them being 3/0 up and making subs.

Next away game under Smith was Leeds with 3 shots on target.

Did you miss the bit in brackets?

Unlucky In terms of virtually conceeding the last kick.

Maybe if we had iversen been in goal maybe it would've been a point.

Edited by HankMarvin

18 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Do you think big Sam would of been a better move? 

Big Sam is old hat and even if we stayed up with him. I'd hate give him millions in bonuses. We'd spend millions on a manager that is only here on a short term. While Deano at least is wanting the job on a permanent basis, just case of proving himself.  

21 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Big Sam is old hat and even if we stayed up with him. I'd hate give him millions in bonuses. We'd spend millions on a manager that is only here on a short term. While Deano at least is wanting the job on a permanent basis, just case of proving himself.  

I'm pleased with him, I'd keep in him for a year if he gets 5 points + out of the remaining fixtures 

54 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

...not sure I am too keen on Smith and Co. being here long-term!!!

We will have to pay him a bonus if we stay up, the only difference is that you believe Smith wants the role, big Sam may also see this as an opportunity to get back into management.

6 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

2 shots on target vs Palace

4 against Man City hard to tell how much that second half performance was down to them being 3/0 up and making subs.

Next away game under Smith was Leeds with 3 shots on target.

Did you miss the bit in brackets?

Unlucky In terms of virtually conceeding the last kick.

Maybe if we had iversen been in goal maybe it would've been a point.

Yes we improved.

All we did under Bodgers was pass between our defenders 90% of the time we had the ball.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure I am too keen on Smith and Co. being here long-term!!!

We will have to pay him a bonus if we stay up, the only difference is that you believe Smith wants the role, big Sam may also see this as an opportunity to get back into management.

I understand your view point, but my thinking is that in the summer with all the players who are leaving and afew remaining which aren't PL standard we need a Pearson type figure.

Dean Smit fits that mould who has in the past built the foundations at Brentford and Villa resulting in their current managers benefiting from Deans building of the foundations at the clubs.

Could a young up and coming manager have the skills and experience to do this challenge?

24 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I understand your view point, but my thinking is that in the summer with all the players who are leaving and afew remaining which aren't PL standard we need a Pearson type figure.

Dean Smit fits that mould who has in the past built the foundations at Brentford and Villa resulting in their current managers benefiting from Deans building of the foundations at the clubs.

Could a young up and coming manager have the skills and experience to do this challenge?

Agree that a younger manager is unlikely to have the skill set. Carrick seems alright and did spend time learning from SAF who is the best manager in my lifetime. I’m not sure if we are just too much of a tough job for him right now.

I do really like Dean and co. My main concern is that it’s been said he relies heavily upon JT and JT may not be in it for the long run. They may sway me to wanting to look elsewhere.

If we got relegated, I would quite like us to go for Mark Robins and have said his name before as have others. He has literally improved Coventry year on year from League 2 to looking good for the playoffs in the championship barring a last day melt down. They have also been a basket case and he has built a really good side in the backdrop of they chaos. I think he’d be a really good shout.

Really not sure about if we stay up though :dunno:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

....good question, I am not sure if we stayed up how appealing we would be to a Arne Slott or any on the list previously stated in this thread!!!

Brentford has got a good structure and process in place, Villa spent a fortune when they came up, yet Dean struggled to have any success with those same players and Emery seems to have steadied the ship.

If we decide to go down the cheaper and less of a gamble route, we could bring in Postecoglou, I like the way he has Celtic playing and I suspect he would be just as big a refreshing change from Rodgers.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2023 at 21:20, Pete52 said:

Smith so far is exactly what I expected of him. A decent bloke but tactically not great. Same as what I thought of him at Villa. 

Better than Rodgers though you can’t deny that. We weren’t picking up any more points under him! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Wouldn't have gotten a point. We were that bad.

Exactly. If we go down there will be a massive rewriting of history from some who will be adamant Rodgers would have kept us up. We were getting worse not better and we have improved massively under Smith. We were just that bad that the bar was so low and we are still crap after the improvement!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I am of the belief we would still be on 25 points and all but relegated now if the dwarf was still here with Cags, Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes safely on the beach. 

He'd have probably brought Ward back to starting as well 

9 hours ago, Claridge said:

fairly sure Rodgers would of got 5 points against Wolves, leeds and Everton with the chances they missed though. 

I very much doubt Castagne, Vardy (x2) score their goals and Soyuncu most certainly wouldn't have scored that's for sure.

At the other end Soyuncu wouldn't have been bought in to do vital defending. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

I'm undecided on Smith, there's a definite improvement in player confidence. 

Unbeaten in the last 3, but I'm not sure whether that's down to renewed effort, and resilience or just a fair bit of luck given the amount of shots being fired at us. 

Fulham game will be the one that we see what Deano has to offer, mid table side, without their best players, and he's now had a good period of time to take a look at his own squad, he must set up correctly and ensure that we dont come under a barrage of attacks early on. 

Im convinced that this is going to go down to the last day and that will be his biggest test to pass. 

7 minutes ago, SK3Blue said:

Im convinced that this is going to go down to the last day and that will be his biggest test to pass. 

...I  really hope not!!!

I feel the elephant in the room is the Liverpool and Newcastle games where they are both discounted as no points are going to be gained. We take something from one of those games and we may avoid having to perform on the last day.

Nb. Your profile picture always struck me as an abstract design but after looking closer, is that Michelle Williams? I have never seen her with red hair previously. The picture is rather enigmatic as you have to rotate to see the expression  on her face.

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  really hope not!!!

I feel the elephant in the room is the Liverpool and Newcastle games where they are both discounted as no points are going to be gained. We take something from one of those games and we may avoid having to perform on the last day.

Nb. Your profile picture always struck me as an abstract design but after looking closer, is that Michelle Williams? I have never seen her with red hair previously. The picture is rather enigmatic as you have to rotate to see the expression  on her face.

I did a points prediction pre Man City game, gave us nothing for Man City,  1 v Wolves, 1 v Leeds and 3 v Everton so my predictions are 50/50 so far but the points total is correct.  

I've gone with 0 points from Fulham and Liverpool, but then a point at Newcastle (I know, but this is LCFC)  and 3 on the last day, 34 points and GD possibly keeping us up. Its nervy, horrible but reality.

Profile pic is actually Bjork!

Edited by SK3Blue
  • Like 1