Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

Just now, Adster said:

I am leaning to agreeing with this viewpoint to be honest. 

Dean Smith cannot win either way and he has been given an extremely difficult hand - he knew that when he walked in. 

What do fans realistically expect him to do? We go too attacking, we concede a bucketful of goals, we go to defensive, we get a performance like we did today. On paper it looks dreadful and today was a turgid watch at times, but we did almost nick it at the end and we finally kept a clean sheet. 

Smith obviously has looked at it with the management team and there is too little time to work on our defense and (more importantly in my opinion) midfield contribution to helping the defensive and decided to, against a very good Newcastle team, essentially park the bus. 

It's a difficult balance, and he got parts right today with the cards he has available, but I fear it's too little too late. But that's hardly the fault of Smith, no matter what kids armed with hindsight (and who could obviously do a better job than Smith) say on here. 

It seems to me smith is guilty of not taking prior games serious enough, we should have played that against Liverpool and Fulham, confidence and a clean sheet was crucial. We're relegation fodder, we weren't good enough to play 4-3-3

52 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Smith wanted us to be in the game with 20 to go. Which we were. He wanted us to attack more but the players weren’t brave enough 

...yeah, not brave enough and still cannot make those passes that put a player through!!!

We still fail in the last third, making the wrong decisions and failing to be accurate in the transition. It has been a sore point of ours for years, and if we could get this right we would be top 6, we really kill ourselves in these situations.

I’m not a huge Dean Smith fan, but fair play to him for digging it out.

Just getting a clean sheet is a big thing at the moment. The idea we could go there and go all out attacking is ridiculous. It’s the kind of performance you’d ideally want to do with 19 games left to build confidence, but he’s not had the luxury of that.

They showed fight again when I thought they’d already given up. I don’t think it’s enough. We’re going to be two points short probably, but that’s over the course of a 38-game season and not on Smith. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

I’m not a huge Dean Smith fan, but fair play to him for digging it out.

Just getting a clean sheet is a big thing at the moment. The idea we could go there and go all out attacking is ridiculous. It’s the kind of performance you’d ideally want to do with 19 games left to build confidence, but he’s not had the luxury of that.

They showed fight again when I thought they’d already given up. I don’t think it’s enough. We’re going to be two points short probably, but that’s over the course of a 38-game season and not on Smith. 

Think some fans expected us to play all out attack. This team is on the rocks, devoid of confidence, leaking goals, all over the place, tonight going to the toughest place in the league right now and keeping them out for 90 mins and nearly nicking a goal was better than we could have hoped for.

We always needed to win against West ham and if we do so, we now don't have to worry about Leeds result, only the Everton result, and they have no Calvert Lewin and have to win. It was always our best hope

• Like 2

I’ve been critical recently but I can’t help feel that he’s doing what a manager does when taking a team over. I.E. he’s finding out what works and what doesn’t. Difference is he has eight games rather than twenty. 

If he had that international break for analysis and those three games before his appointment, I think we do it. I don’t think we make such a mess of things on the transition because the pennies dropped now. We can’t expose our CBs and we have to let our midfield sit deep. I actually think a confident Leicester zips the ball really well on the counter tonight but it’s not there. It’s all too late. 

2 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Big sam when interviewed explained this, he said chairman focus too much on giving games to an outgoing manager instead of giving enough games to the replacement.

I guess he would after having 4 games and looking like getting relegated. 

we should’ve pulled the trigger earlier and got Dyche though. Over a point a game he has averaged to virtually take Everton to safety 

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

That’s just not true. 

He’s not returned us to being the team we should be on paper - but Rodgers saw to that. 

He’s not the saviour we wanted, but he was an improvement on Rodgers. We’d never have walked away from here with a point if he was still in charge. 

I obviously don’t blame him he should be almost blame free, but if we were at 40 out of 100 under Rodgers we’re probably at about 47 out of 100 under Smith. 

Tonight would have been a decent point had we beaten Everton or Leeds. 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Statistically he isn’t an improvement though, he is getting less point per game than rodgers did despite what was labelled the easiest run of the relegation candidates when he got the job 

Aye, we left it way too late to get a good manager in, but Smith has hardly set the world on fire. 

All hypothetical but had we gotten in him slightly earlier we would have been safe. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

we should’ve pulled the trigger earlier and got Dyche though. Over a point a game he has averaged to virtually take Everton to safety 

I agree with him though.

If a chairman thinks an old manager needs 30+ games, then why does he think half a dozen or so is enough for the new guy.

Edited by Chrysalis

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Even if we had landed Pep Guardiola, it would have been futile with this group of lazy players. Smith's substitutions and game plan were bang on, but the team showed no determination. Throughout the last 30 minutes, Smith was on the sideline, practically screaming at them to attack and telling Iversen to quit wasting time.

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

I agree with him though.

If a chairman thinks an old manager needs 30+ games, then why does he think half a dozen or so is enough for the new guy.

The club put their eggs into the Rodgers basket, the worse thing that could happen was the extra financial support and signings he got in Jan. 

Then the 2 wins, extended his managerial lifeline.

The Smith appointment was a panicked one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, And Joachim goes throoough said:

He’s absolutely not, that was abysmal. 1 shot on goal when fighting for relegation, at least a Rodger’s team would have tried to get in the ball

...I think you are forgetting the games under Rodgers!!!

Losses to Southampton, no shots against Arsenal you are being selective in what you are remembering. Tonight was the right decision, not too sure about the midfield personnel but we needed to be hard to break down. I think he may be learning that you can't go out there and be so open, he got that all wrong, a few more draws would have had us in the driving seat.

We seemed to have worked for each other tonight, which was all we wanted to see, without that, we will have no chance at West Ham. I think we need to stick with a three at the back and be hard to beat.

I suspect with n nothing to play for, the thought would be to get a two-goal lead and they will not want to know, it would be great to have that breathing space early, but I just do not trust us to not mess up and allow teams to walk through us when they want to.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FoxTimmy2 said:

Even if we had landed Pep Guardiola, it would have been futile with this group of lazy players. Smith's substitutions and game plan were bang on, but the team showed no determination. Throughout the last 30 minutes, Smith was on the sideline, practically screaming at them to attack and telling Iversen to quit wasting time.

Do you not think the fans of clubs like Everton, Wolves, and Villa were not saying that about their players when they where struggling to win.

Wolves were bottom when Lopetegui’s arrived, his form in the next 18 has been top 8.

Much the same lazy players fans were criticising earlier in the season.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I agree with him though.

...it is easier if the incumbent manager turns things around than having to make the change, he is in effect gambling in this situation!!!

It was always going to be a tough gig to come in and try and rescue a season in the final 8 games. Smith has made mistakes but that was going to happen when you have limited time to assess the squad and its capabilities. 

In my opinion he isn’t the right man for the job moving forward, but this mess and situation we find ourselves in is far from his fault. The squad are unfit in comparison to other teams,, players have checked out and the rest look devoid of confidence, whilst we have pretty much managed to force out any leadership we did have within the group. It’s a shambolic mess and one that Smith has been unable to turn round quickly enough to fire us to safety and we are now left with a final game all or nothing. 

• Like 1

He got the tactics right last night but that midfield is shocking regards creativity obviously Tielemans in his pomp was good but that's not been on show for a good while now. The problem Smith has got is who do you put in there to be creative?