Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

DS gave us a shred of hope after that win at Wolves, and again after the draw at Newcastle. But it was a nigh-on impossible task with that lot of disengaged players just going through the motions. Under very difficult circumstances, he did okay.

But as he said, he failed in his mission to save us from relegation. Probably a decent Championship manager, but that's about it. Part ways and move on.

4 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I don't blame him we were a Maddison penalty miss away from him staying up.

I blame the Rudkin. Always has been inept and hiding behind the success of others.

Smith said he chose Maddison to take the penalty so weird you blame the person taking it but not the person who chose the taker.

He's at the bottom of the list of people I blame, but some of his tactics and selections were very baffling.

They shouldn't, but I can see them giving him the job. He has a reputation as a builder due to his time at Aston Villa and I think they might view him as a safe pair of hands.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Smith said he chose Maddison to take the penalty so weird you blame the person taking it but not the person who chose the taker.

I imagine before the game Maddison told him he wanted/was ready to take it. Its not about blaming Maddison more about how close he was to keeping us in the league. All things considered he did what he could.

I think he's done okay. 9 points from 8 games, which gets 43 points over a season. 

The only result which was terrible was the Fulham away game. The other losses to Liverpool and Man City could be expected. With a little bit more luck we could have won the Leeds and Everton game but there you go. 

• Like 1

One thing I have liked is that he seems to take the approach to suit the game. Very attacking in winnable games and more pragmatic in others. 

This job was extremely tough. He didn't do spectacularly well or badly. 8 games when you probably need at least 25 to sort out this mess.

The fact he was chosen sums the club up.

9pts from 8games isn’t the reason we went down, I think if Smith had come in when Rodgers should’ve gone in September, we likely would’ve stayed up, so don’t blame him too much.

Not sure he’d be an inspiring appointment full time though, but I also think it’s going to be a tough job for anyone to have to slash the wage bill and likely be unable to sign many

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

People saying he is a Championship manager thats where we will be playing next season.  Cant, be any worse already has Shakey n John Terrry with him may as well keep him in.

He's not very good, far better options out there imo.

Not sure who else will be interested. 

We are hardly an attractive proposition right now.

We are a total mess.

I suspect we will be using the loan market and making a couple of bosman signings because even if we do shed some wages and bring in a few quid selling a few players I think the kitty to replenish the squad will be very low.

So whoever comes in has a massive task on their hands and its a huge gamble for  any up and coming manager to take us on and risk their reputation if it all goes wrong. 

Hence I think we will be left with the option of appointing one of the usual Journeyman suspects or sticking with Smith.who had an impossible task.

The plus to keep Smith is he is here now and can get stuck into the rebuild right away.

Last thing we want is to mess around and apoint someone 4 or 5 weeks down the line.

We need to be starting now. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't be disappointed to see him appointed, it'd be interesting to see what he could do with his own group of players but suspect he won't be given the chance. 

One thing I really liked about him was his honesty. Took more responsibility for our failings in 7 weeks than the vertically challenged tw*t did in 4 years. 

If the posters on here think we can still shop at Harrods for a manager , forget it. We are not Primark yet but we have to be realistic about what we can offer. All our so called star players are going and we will have a limited budget no doubt. Smith is definitely in the Tesco bracket but I doubt whether we can do much better. Whoever we go for only a limited span contract should be offered.

• Like 1

Nah, a decent chap who gave it a go. But showed little nous and not exactly tactical brilliance. Like when you are 0-0 with Newcastle with 20 to play, he should have gone all out for a win at that stage.

But he/they stuck to the game plan to try and not concede when only a win would really do.  Basically gave us a few percent extra chance of staying up when a win would have made it all in our own hands. All it took was to be brave for a few minutes, and you never know what might have happened. But we played it out to take what was, in hindsight, a pointless point. And that says it all to me. He ain't for us long term.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

.. does that mean that had Maddison scored we should all have been doing a pile on with Smith!!!

Or if it was Shakey who suggested it to Smith, do we do a pile on with Shakey?

No one in the crowd will be aware of pre-planned actions. The penalty taker gets the cheers when he scores and jeers when he misses.