Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dean Smith New Interim Manager - Official

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

Realistic ones....? 

Who?

Gary Rowett, Mark Robins and Michael Carrick from the championship in post who I reckon would all be interested if we made an approach.

Free agents; there are comfortably many managers out there with more credentials than Dean Smith. 

If we appoint him he’ll be sacked by Christmas. He is not the reason we went down, but he is nowhere near good enough.

If we appoint him we have clearly not understood the situation and have learned nothing. We need a tactically astute, motivational manager, I see no evidence that he is either. His tactics have been extremely poor and he clearly did not lift the players.

If we are going to become a club worth supporting again, we need a Pearson-esque appointment. And if we want to become a force again we need even better.

For god’s sake, please just appoint someone with potential and character rather than than doing no research and picking someone obvious. Keeping Smith would be like when we stuck with Shakespeare for the sole reason that it was convenient.

As I say every time we need a manager, I’d rather not have heard of him. He should be picked due to his ideas and character, not his name. This is not the time for a safe pair of hands. Promotion while we have the parachute payments is essential.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Not sure who else will be interested. 

We are hardly an attractive proposition right now.

We are a total mess.

I suspect we will be using the loan market and making a couple of bosman signings because even if we do shed some wages and bring in a few quid selling a few players I think the kitty to replenish the squad will be very low.

So whoever comes in has a massive task on their hands and its a huge gamble for  any up and coming manager to take us on and risk their reputation if it all goes wrong. 

Hence I think we will be left with the option of appointing one of the usual Journeyman suspects or sticking with Smith.who had an impossible task.

The plus to keep Smith is he is here now and can get stuck into the rebuild right away.

Last thing we want is to mess around and apoint someone 4 or 5 weeks down the line.

We need to be starting now. 

I would rather appoint him now and have him involved in the stay/go process than be in limbo for a month and then be starting the championship from an even worse position where rudkin has decided who we need / don’t need 

but that probably means he would be kept if we came back up which isn’t what I’d want 

Actually spoke like a human so was relief after Rodgers but despite some promising changes the selections got stranger. Continued picking of Soumare is indication of brain injury. 

doesn’t take any blame for the relegation in my eyes but we need to move on. 

14 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Realistic ones....? 

Who?

We had a lot of fans in the prem after winning the league with unrealistic expectations and believed we’d had the pulling power of Man U. Our club hierarchy have completely failed us, getting us into this position but don’t for one second think their incompetence is suddenly getting us a decent manager and rebuilding a massive squad, wind that in!

Best we can hope is the board act quickly with sales out and manager in, perhaps a manager that is hungry with something to prove. 

I’d love them to also rebuild the backroom get the stats bean counters back, building a team around a style of play away from the aimless sht we have to endure. One thing is Dean Smith did work with the stats driven system at Brentford, we could do a lot worse in our first season down to rebuild that whole philosophy then look to the future. 

And some fans need to also take the approach Rome wasn’t built in a day a lot of work over time will need to happen, it may be a season or two! 

Edited by Lesta Legend

9 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Gary Rowett, Mark Robins and Michael Carrick from the championship in post who I reckon would all be interested if we made an approach.

Free agents; there are comfortably many managers out there with more credentials than Dean Smith. 

I don't see any reason for them to jump ship to us right now. 

And you keep mentioning managers with more credentials... again I ask you realistically who would be interested? 

19 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Wouldn't be disappointed to see him appointed, it'd be interesting to see what he could do with his own group of players but suspect he won't be given the chance. 

One thing I really liked about him was his honesty. Took more responsibility for our failings in 7 weeks than the vertically challenged tw*t did in 4 years. 

...he also stuck with a midfield of Tielemans and Soumare which was pretty much the route cause of our inability to defend!!!

Gaping holes in the middle of the park and if West Ham had wanted to shift gears then we would have been over run.

He got team selection and formation wrong, looking to play the occasion as opposed to the game. If it was possible to get rid of an interim manager after the Everton or even Fulham game then I would have done so.

A pretty clueless manager, it would be lazy to bring Smith in full time, and that should be a cue for this club to riot, as they (the board) would have learned nothing!!

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Actually spoke like a human so was relief after Rodgers but despite some promising changes the selections got stranger. Continued picking of Soumare is indication of brain injury. 

doesn’t take any blame for the relegation in my eyes but we need to move on. 

I'd say Soumare was our best midfielder during Smith's reign.  Who was better? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

I'd say Soumare was our best midfielder during Smith's reign.  Who was better? 

I’d say they were all terrible but Soumare has no redeeming features whatsoever. The game goes on around him and he shows no interest in affecting the game. 

Mendy played 5 mins at Newcastle didn’t he? Him. 

I don't hold him anywhere near responsible as much others for allowing this fiasco to happen.

He didn't do enough at the crucial moments to warrant an extension next season.

But knowing our leadership he's probably signed terms already.

Smith wouldn't be my first choice, but then I don't know who would be! Smith seems likable and got 9 points from 8 games including man city, liverpool and Newcastle. Yes Fulham was atrocious, but if he was in before villa and Bournemouth I think we'd have stayed up. 

We need to act quickly over the summer with players and he has the benefit of already knowing the squad and what changes need to be made. He also referenced fitness when he came in, so he clearly saw the team wasn't fit enough and I'd expect him to change that. 

He wouldn't be exciting, and I doubt he'd be linked to prem clubs like kompany has, but he might do the job. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

Nah, a decent chap who gave it a go. But showed little nous and not exactly tactical brilliance. Like when you are 0-0 with Newcastle with 20 to play, he should have gone all out for a win at that stage.

But he/they stuck to the game plan to try and not concede when only a win would really do.  Basically gave us a few percent extra chance of staying up when a win would have made it all in our own hands. All it took was to be brave for a few minutes, and you never know what might have happened. But we played it out to take what was, in hindsight, a pointless point. And that says it all to me. He ain't for us long term.

I completely agree with this. 

We needed 6 points from the last two and that would of seen us safe. He risked it and played for a draw against Newcastle. 

I like Smith but i don't want him as manager next season. However i feel the job is his if he wants it. 

• Like 1

We are all presuming Smith would take it.

The club is in such a mess maybe he's seen enough and wouldn't want it anyway.

Our sense of entertainment is beyond belief at times here. 

Who realistically do people think we can attract?

Taking our club on right now is a huge gamble to anyone. 

Burnley took a bit of a gamble with Kompany. It worked for them. Maybe we could do the same. Not sure who is out there tbh. Dean Smith has promotions on his cv and has worked on tight budgets at Walsall and Brentford so those in charge might feel he's the man. It's a difficult situation. Most boards, when push comes to shove, make steady decisions so Dean Smith might be in pole position. I could see the logic behind appointing Smith but it arguably wouldn't be an exciting move.

Smith did ok but by his own admission fell 2 points short of what he felt was required to stay up, also I feel like he has already had the energy and spirit sapped out of him. 

I hope and I ain’t sure it will happen but the board need to be decisive and approach their preferred list of managers this week, and the new man be in place by no later than the end of next week. 

Personally I didn’t see enough of a response to suggest Smith is the right man for this job moving forward. 

• Like 1

One thing I like about DS is I've noticed (maybe wrongly) that before kick off he seems to indicate to the opposition manager to meet up after the game for a chat. This suggests to me someone who is affable and could network well. I think we'll need some good loan signings next season and if he does connect well with other clubs that'll help us. 

3 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Himmm..

The same Scott Parker who was 

Sacked by Bournemouth and then sacked by Brugge after 12 games? 

You said with more credentials then Smith and would realistically take the job, not saying I want him or that he's a fantastic manager but he's done more than Smith has at that level. Also by your logic it's the same Smith sacked by Villa and sacked by Norwich?

• Like 1