Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chrysalis

Man City Post Match

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Just think if maddison and nacho took them final two chances plus a decent pen shout.

Mate, genuinely no offence but grow up and be real.

IF Leicester were anywhere near looking like getting back into the game (as in properly), Man City would have stepped it up again. 
The game was over at half time.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

IF Leicester were anywhere near looking like getting back into the game (as in properly), Man City would have stepped it up again. 

I think his point is fair given it was all 85 mins plus. Even if they’d stepped it back up us with momentum at 3-2 it’s not beyond the realms. 

If we’d snuck two straight after half time I agree with you though as they’d have kept KDB and Grealish on etc. 

• Like 2

Playing Manchester City isn’t really a litmus test of how the team has been improved by the new management team.

Got bonked by probably the best team in world football. 

Some players clearly aren’t up to scratch, but there’s enough there to keep us up.

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Dean Smith Post Match

Did you speak to Soyuncu this week about how his season had gone?

“I watched him in training for the first two days and really liked what I saw. He’s played two games in the international period. I liked what I saw and I liked the fire in his eyes as well. He wants to play. Football is his life and his love. I thought he showed that. I thought it was a really committed performance from him. Our outside centre-halves in the second half were really committed and really aggressive and I’m pleased to have him on board.”

Does this reveal the reason he's been told why Soyuncu was frozen out?

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Dean Smith Post Match

What did you learn about your squad?

“I learned an awful lot. Getting five subs on gave me an opportunity to see some other players well. We came here with a gameplan and the gameplan was to stay in the game. My natural instinct was to go and attack them and press them, but I’ve seen too many top teams do that and end up on a hiding, and I didn’t want that to happen. Unfortunately, we conceded two goals in the first 15 minutes, a left-footed volley from John Stones from 20 yards into the top corner and then an unfortunate penalty.”

“Then it’s really tough and you have to suffer when you come to a place like this. We miss a 50-50 for the third goal and then we had to suffer for another 25 minutes. But I saw enough from the players and the changes that we made at half-time and in the second half to know that there’s a lot of character in this squad, and my job now is to get that out of them.”

Final 20 mins good enough to ensure defeat not demoralising?

“It is. There’s a lot of very good teams who have lost by more than a two-goal deficit here. Our season was never going to be defined by coming to the Etihad. It would have been really interesting if one of Madders’ or Kels’ chances had gone in and made it 3-2. I’ll watch the game back and work out whether we got a lot better, if they put the brakes on, or maybe a bit of both. But we certainly showed a lot of character.”

“I watched him in training for the first two days and really liked what I saw. He’s played two games in the international period. I liked what I saw and I liked the fire in his eyes as well. He wants to play. Football is his life and his love. I thought he showed that. I thought it was a really committed performance from him. Our outside centre-halves in the second half were really committed and really aggressive and I’m pleased to have him on board.”

You must be confident of survival after the final 20 minutes?

“Goals change games as well. Our gameplan was to stay in the game. It’s a tough place to come. If you can restrict them to not big chances. I would say that John Stones’ goal is not a big chance, but he’s put one in the top corner. The penalty is unfortunate and then it’s very hard to change that gameplan after 10 minutes. But we had problems that we needed to solve and I thought we solved quite a few of them. We made changes at half-time that helped us. The last 20 minutes I thought we were really good.”

How was Vardy when he was taken off at half-time?

"I had the chat with Vards and the group in general. I said: ‘I’ve picked a team but I can guarantee after 70 minutes that won’t be the ones who are on the pitch.’ This is a squad game now and the squad is going to be very important to us.”

Generally what are the values you want to see, and did you see any today?

“Certainly, defensive principles, not to be giving big chances away against ourselves, but also how we can create big chances. I think we’ve probably not looked forward quickly enough at times and that’s something we’ve been speaking to them about. But there are good players in that dressing room and they’ve shown in the last 20 minutes that they’re really good characters as well. We came in and lifted it a little bit, lifted the confidence. I saw a lethargy last week against Bournemouth, I didn’t see that today.”

only disagreement with all that is if he thought Ndidi going into that challenge was a 50/50, he hasn't been watching Ndidi.  The moment he went in there, I knew he wasn't going to get it!

20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Dean Smith Post Match

What did you learn about your squad?

“I learned an awful lot. Getting five subs on gave me an opportunity to see some other players well. We came here with a gameplan and the gameplan was to stay in the game. My natural instinct was to go and attack them and press them, but I’ve seen too many top teams do that and end up on a hiding, and I didn’t want that to happen. Unfortunately, we conceded two goals in the first 15 minutes, a left-footed volley from John Stones from 20 yards into the top corner and then an unfortunate penalty.”

“Then it’s really tough and you have to suffer when you come to a place like this. We miss a 50-50 for the third goal and then we had to suffer for another 25 minutes. But I saw enough from the players and the changes that we made at half-time and in the second half to know that there’s a lot of character in this squad, and my job now is to get that out of them.”

Final 20 mins good enough to ensure defeat not demoralising?

“It is. There’s a lot of very good teams who have lost by more than a two-goal deficit here. Our season was never going to be defined by coming to the Etihad. It would have been really interesting if one of Madders’ or Kels’ chances had gone in and made it 3-2. I’ll watch the game back and work out whether we got a lot better, if they put the brakes on, or maybe a bit of both. But we certainly showed a lot of character.”

You must be confident of survival after the final 20 minutes?

“Goals change games as well. Our gameplan was to stay in the game. It’s a tough place to come. If you can restrict them to not big chances. I would say that John Stones’ goal is not a big chance, but he’s put one in the top corner. The penalty is unfortunate and then it’s very hard to change that gameplan after 10 minutes. But we had problems that we needed to solve and I thought we solved quite a few of them. We made changes at half-time that helped us. The last 20 minutes I thought we were really good.”

How was Vardy when he was taken off at half-time?

"I had the chat with Vards and the group in general. I said: ‘I’ve picked a team but I can guarantee after 70 minutes that won’t be the ones who are on the pitch.’ This is a squad game now and the squad is going to be very important to us.”

Generally what are the values you want to see, and did you see any today?

“Certainly, defensive principles, not to be giving big chances away against ourselves, but also how we can create big chances. I think we’ve probably not looked forward quickly enough at times and that’s something we’ve been speaking to them about. But there are good players in that dressing room and they’ve shown in the last 20 minutes that they’re really good characters as well. We came in and lifted it a little bit, lifted the confidence. I saw a lethargy last week against Bournemouth, I didn’t see that today.”

Seems like a down to earth fella.

Guest Col city fan
23 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Actually - i'm not so sure. Pep took a huge gamble in the last 20 mins in particular.  If we had got it to 3-2 i think they would have nervously seen the game out. I'm not sure they had the right team to step it up. Pep was actually looking quite nervy when we had a few chances.

Pep did exactly the right thing.

The game was over, with huge games looming and he weighed it up that we wouldn’t score 3 in the second half.

We didn’t. We didn’t even score 2.

It was good management therefore as he was right to do what he did.

People saying we did well to have a go, we’ll, yes.. but look at the context of the game.

Forget today. It means nothing now. IF we continue to come forward and to create chances whilst not conceding (aka second half today, given the context) then we’ll have a fighting chance. But let’s see what happens now and don’t base anything much on a second half today in a game that was already done.

Relegation battle starts now. 

Good to see that Smith had the courage to change things at half time. Hope we can have a settled side for the run in as chopping and changing the selection won't help our situation. Impressed with his down to earth attitude and think was a much better choice than Marsch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Sometimes,in fact quite often Teams step off the gas,

make substitutions and they can’t step it up again ( we ourselves have been guilty)

Our chances were late in the game…3-3 could of happened,earnt or not. That’s football..

• Like 4

Guest glasgowfox

I know wilf should have won the ball but am I the only one that thinks kdh played a hospital pass when a bit firmer would have alleviated the chance

17 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

That's the difference with regards to Smith/Pearson types and Rodgers. 

Pearson always bought leaders into the club, we had Huth, Was, Morgan, Fuchs etc, He wanted to have other leaders and experience around him, even with coaches we brought in the likes of Powell/Phillips etc. Smith seems of the same mould, we all know about Shakey but Terry is one of the great leaders in the History of the game.

Compare that to Rodgers and he wants followers, and head nodders. People won't like it, but it's why Maddison is his greatest achievement here. A player who excels when there's no pressure....But folds as he has done in recent weeks when there's been a pressure on him to be 'The Man'. I watched Jack Grealish drag an average/poor Villa side to Promotion and then Survival week after week, I'm not convinced Maddison is capable of one, let alone both. 

The training ground footage of Smith's arrival told he everything we needed to know about the Soyuncu vs Rodgers scenario. Cags was spending a lot of time with Evans and Vardy....Can't believe they would be around him so often if he was in the wrong. Soyuncu stood up for himself, at some point, and no doubt the weak and inept Rodgers couldn't handle it.

Was a game for villa when Grealish got a sub subbed because he wasnt pulling his weight. We deffo need people capable of leading on the pitch 100%.