Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

Club Finances

49 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Our Under 21s team is on the verge of being relegated...!  To me, that doesnt sound like much of a reason to be cheerful...!

Just relaying what I’ve heard (family member works there). There is apparently 4 players who City reckon can play in the Premiership. If this is true, makes our situation much better. 

Players are out there for reason amounts of money, I expect us to be shopping in the 10m-20m range.

We will need to focus on players who we can develop rather than ready made.

Even if we stay up next season will be challenging, sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Scotch said:

Obviously, it's a daunting prospect but it's also a chance of a fresh start. 

Like 7 players on massive wages out, 6 of which aren't regular starters but all on massive wages. 

Probably lose a few more like Ndidi, Maddison, Praet, etc that will free up even more wages and hopefully bring in some decent cash. 

New management team. 

You have to imagine that the disaster in not investing this summer will be enough to convince us that we'll need to invest a bit.

IF we did stay in the league, it would be a good prospect for someone to come in and sign essentially a completely new team that also gives us the chance to appropriately distribute wages again. 

Great, we could be the new Notts Forest. 

• Like 1

I imagine that clearing some of the ridiculous wages that we have given out at the end of this season and then next will be the end of a massive financial headache for the club.

I am no financial expert but if we stay up this season and go down and the end of next season then we will be in a much better position to rebuild than if we do go this season (depending on who we sign in the summer).

Also, although we are losing players on a free, we are not the only club and there will be a number of good players who we can attract for a reduced fee (12 months left on their contract) or who are on a free.  We just have to learn not to spend above our means again.

I'd love it if we stay up and Top gave whoever is in charge a war chest to rebuild the squad. Be 2 fingers up to Rodgers! Obviously with ffp, it's unlikely we'll be able to spend much more than make from sales but I'd imagine we'll get around £50m for Maddison. Loan signings/ and the odd free transfer may be the way to bulk the squad out and fill the gaps left by players leaving. 

I would only extend Mendy's contract(Obviously Youri and Cags but that won't happen)...

Then Imo you need

1 Goalkeeper

1 Full/wing back

2 centre halfs

3 Central Midfielders

1 or 2 wingers

And a Striker

I am very hopeful with Glover after January's signings and the sorts of players we have been linked with. And hopeful with finances with a lot of the wage bill and 60 million for Maddison too

19 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

With the following leaving on a free this summer, not getting a cent for them, we will have a real problem getting the squad back to a top half level:

- Tielemans (paid £40m)

- Perez (paid £30m)

- Soyuncu (paid £19m)

- Mendy (paid £13m)

These four players alone costed us over £100m.

Maddison, Ricardo and Barnes only have one more season left (I think). Correction: Barnes two years; Ricardo three years.

Looks like the only way is to try to find another Mahrez, Kante or Vardy, which would be very hard to do.

If the 3 we have in keep us up and stay on a job, I can imagine some of the above will re-sign or extend if they are happy with the team and get reassurances they need. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Rudkin’s responsible for this mess. Clear him out 

I have a lot of time for Ruskin as he's been DoF for a while now and we've achieved a hell of a lot of things in that time, and I would still attribute a lot of our predicament to COVID hitting us and KP's finances more than any other club.

But I do feel it's time for a change of strategy now and that involves bolstering high positions within the club. If we do survive, I want Rudders absorbed into a position with KP somewhere and replaced with someone with elite experience on the continent and of CL & EL. Time to be bold and ambitious again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomlcfc133 said:

I would only extend Mendy's contract(Obviously Youri and Cags but that won't happen)...

Then Imo you need

1 Goalkeeper

1 Full/wing back

2 centre halfs

3 Central Midfielders

1 or 2 wingers

And a Striker

I am very hopeful with Glover after January's signings and the sorts of players we have been linked with. And hopeful with finances with a lot of the wage bill and 60 million for Maddison too

Not sure about goalkeeper, I'd be happy to have Iversen as number 1 going into next season and Ward as back up if he's happy to stay. 

Not sure we need a full back if Castagne stays, depends on JJ and Ricardo's fitness - maybe a young right back who doesn't expect much game time. 

Agree we need 2 centre backs, one who is good enough to compete with Souttar and Faes (i.e. take Soyuncu/Evans' place) and one younger prospect to replace Vestergaard and Amartey. 

I think 2 central midfielders will be more likely if Mendy stays. Hopefully Alex Scott is one of them. 

Tete on a permanent and someone who can play both sides as competition for him and Barnes. Hopefully Wanya Marcal-Madivadua is ready to be involved, too. 

Not sure we will sign a striker, think it will probably be the same 3 next season. 

@hackneyfox: why the laughing reaction? 

Edited by Pete52
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I imagine that clearing some of the ridiculous wages that we have given out at the end of this season and then next will be the end of a massive financial headache for the club.

I am no financial expert but if we stay up this season and go down and the end of next season then we will be in a much better position to rebuild than if we do go this season (depending on who we sign in the summer).

Also, although we are losing players on a free, we are not the only club and there will be a number of good players who we can attract for a reduced fee (12 months left on their contract) or who are on a free.  We just have to learn not to spend above our means again.

If the players were brought in ever improved the starting eleven and our manager got us in the top 7 minimum with a team more than capable, we were spending within our means. 

We still have a zero net spend. We just max out the wage budget. The issue was we had let things get out of hand at the contract stage and big earners wouldn't leave. 

This idea that we have no money is ludicrous. If we dont spend properly in the summer then Top needs to go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

Not sure about goalkeeper, I'd be happy to have Iversen as number 1 going into next season and Ward as back up if he's happy to stay. 

Not sure we need a full back if Castagne stays, depends on JJ and Ricardo's fitness - maybe a young right back who doesn't expect much game time. 

Agree we need 2 centre backs, one who is good enough to compete with Souttar and Faes (i.e. take Soyuncu/Evans' place) and one younger prospect to replace Vestergaard and Amartey. 

I think 2 central midfielders will be more likely if Mendy stays. Hopefully Alex Scott is one of them. 

Tete on a permanent and someone who can play both sides as competition for him and Barnes. 

Not sure we will sign a striker, think it will probably be the same 3 next season.

Goalkeeper is fair

i don't trust JJ or Ricardo to be fit at all

Mendy/KDH/Soumare(Sell Ndidi) be your 3 CMs, so you definetley need 3 more to compensate for youri and maddison leaving

Tete and another winger

And on the striker, if them 3 could get 20+ goals in season it wouldn't be an issue. Gotta be hopeful Daka come good ig

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

Just relaying what I’ve heard (family member works there). There is apparently 4 players who City reckon can play in the Premiership. If this is true, makes our situation much better. 

who's the 4? Braybrooke, Alves, Marçal-Madivadua and Stolarczyk be my guess. Opuku as well

• Like 4

We're partially in this contracts mess because we haven't been thinking a few years ahead. We can't go into this window (whether we stay up or not) just trying to recruit for our immediate needs; we have 8 or so players leaving next summer too.

Cheap 18, 19 and 20 year olds need to be on our radar so we can develop them internally or loan them out so they're ready for 2024 and beyond.

• Like 2

This is a disaster 

we should be negotiating with agents to rebuild the squad over the summer 

we should have made decisions on who is going and what we are prepared to lose on them to get rid 

but we are stuck in limbo, unable to do anything because we have no idea what our budget will be next season. Fees for players if we go down is different to if we stay up. Relegation leads to more of a fire sale scenario.  those at the top of the club are having a bad time - some may say ‘you reap what you sow’. But we are going to be damaged for next season, even if we stay up. 

• Like 1

Our recruitments since Rodgers were to get us into the Top 6 and Europe. We gambled. Unfortunately we didn’t make it last season and we are feeling the effects of it. We need that to keep our good players or at least have enough incentives for them to extend contracts so that we can sell with some value. Now many are leaving on a free. Our wage bill is also so huge that it makes it harder for us to recruit for the future. We also didn’t handle contract extensions well - like that for Tielemans. I think he sets a bad example for others to follow. If we had gotten some good mileage from him this term, fine, but he has been pretty inconsistent and poor this season. If he gets a big contract elsewhere, the likes of Maddison will think they can do the same.

Last three seasons have been bad for us. I don’t blame management though - they gambled when we had the chance and the fans wanted them to. Just that Rodgers choked and failed to deliver.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete52 said:

Tete on a permanent and someone who can play both sides as competition for him and Barnes. Hopefully Wanya Marcal-Madivadua is ready to be involved, too. 

@hackneyfox: why the laughing reaction? 

Iversen is a good stopper but distribution is poor.

Castagne has been poor nearly all season.

Tete has only shown glimpses so far.

All 3 strikers have been appalling at times.

Happy to take all that back if their games improve due to Rodgers leaving (doubt that will help Iversen’s distribution though).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Now we are no longer a threat to the big six, we should be able to pick up some loanees from them which is a cheap fill in option (if we stay up)

Even if we go down, too! 

Having said that, many of the big six don't actually loan that many to the other 14?

This season:

Arsenal - 2 (Maitland-Niles and Soares)

Chelsea - 3 (Emerson, Colwill and Gilmour)

Liverpool - 0 

Man City - 0 

Man Utd - 1 (Henderson)
Tottenham - 0

Ironically we're more likely to get loans from these teams if we do go down lol 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Even if we go down, too! 

Having said that, many of the big six don't actually loan that many to the other 14?

This season:

Arsenal - 2 (Maitland-Niles and Soares)

Chelsea - 3 (Emerson, Colwill and Gilmour)

Liverpool - 0 

Man City - 0 

Man Utd - 1 (Henderson)
Tottenham - 0

Ironically we're more likely to get loans from these teams if we do go down lol 

i think they tend to loan the younger players out to championship clubs - true

but then you aren't that sure of what you're getting because they haven't been exposed 

4 minutes ago, stu said:

Any clever people know what this means, other than the obvious extension. I.e. possible reasons? Purpose etc?

If its for the 22-23 tax year then I imagine giving Rodgers the boot three days before the year ended had some bearing on it? 

• Thanks 1