Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Everton Pre-Match

7 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

You get the feeling that from the 5 games left we need to take points and ideally 7 from Everton, Fulham and finally West Ham. I am hoping the Hammers will either be wearing flip-flops or thinking about the Conference Final. I cant see us getting any points from Liverpool (Home) and Newcastle (Away) to be honest. Goal Difference may be worth one extra point to us too! 

I don't see why Liverpool should be wrote off, Bournemouth beat them. They are so hit and miss, you never know which team will turn up. We are usually better at home against them also.

• Like 1

Losing Kelechi at this point feels like a major blow. However JV may come to the rescue now he's broken the drought. We still have midfield options like Mendy, KDH and Praet to add to the mix. Just a shame Tete has not been able to bring something to the table.

Prediction: One nil wins this game. We're long overdue a clean sheet...

I feel like we need to take the initiative with this game and not let Everton get comfortable on the ball at any point. Last season Everton came and it felt like we just sat back and let them be completely comfortable. Their fans then got more and more vocal and I think made a big difference for them.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people are so confident Souttar improves us at either end with set pieces. I know he's 6ft6 but I don't think he's shown himself to be particularly effective at attacking/defending set pieces yet. Think I'd rather stick with Faes and Soyuncu when our defence has generally looked better with them playing over any combination of Faes/Souttar/Amartey we've seen this season.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm not sure why people are so confident Souttar improves us at either end with set pieces. I know he's 6ft6 but I don't think he's shown himself to be particularly effective at attacking/defending set pieces yet.

Iheanacho's goal vs Man City? 

For what it's worth though, I would stick with a back 4 with Souttar on the bench. It allows us to press higher up the pitch and I think we can force some errors at home vs an Everton side that aren't great in possession. We can go to a back 3 and bring Souttar on late in the game if we are defending a lead and Everton choose to go route 1. 

• Like 1

****ing gutted. I'm in Athens for this, not many games I've actually wanted to go go to this season but I have and then this one that I can't. 

Going to have to find somewhere to watch it over there. 

Does anyone know if the club shop do names on retro shirts? 

Score the first goal and we'll win I think. Everton don't score enough goals.

But if they nick a goal, expect a long afternoon of time wasting, game management, dark arts etc. They're arguably better at defending than we are. Least they've had a couple of clean sheets.

I'd probably also like to see 3 at the back if Kel is out injured. But would be a shame to see Barnes miss out. Although last night he was only slightly better than the equally anonymous Tete

45 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm not sure why people are so confident Souttar improves us at either end with set pieces. I know he's 6ft6 but I don't think he's shown himself to be particularly effective at attacking/defending set pieces yet. Think I'd rather stick with Faes and Soyuncu when our defence has generally looked better with them playing over any combination of Faes/Souttar/Amartey we've seen this season.

He’s cracked two off the bar offensively - he probably should have buried them but that’s a damn sight closer than any other fecker has got in what seems like decades!

I do think we generally looked less threatened from set pieces at the back too with him in the team, although that was just my impression and isn’t backed up by stats.

The trade off is that he’s not as mobile as the others, but I did think Faes was a bit erratic yesterday and wouldn’t be against the swap.

As others have suggested, I wouldn’t hate a 532 - I think it might help VK out too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He definitely won't help in the other teams box. I thought Evans was bad for wasting glaring chances but Souttar is unbelievably bad in front of goal. He genuinely could have 3 or 4 goals for us if he had any instinct infront of goal.

Defensively I imagine he would help from set pieces being the monster he is. That being said, I wouldn't have any interest in breaking up a partnership because I'm worried about Everton kicking the ball into our box.

11 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Score the first goal and we'll win I think. Everton don't score enough goals.

But if they nick a goal, expect a long afternoon of time wasting, game management, dark arts etc. They're arguably better at defending than we are. Least they've had a couple of clean sheets.

I'd probably also like to see 3 at the back if Kel is out injured. But would be a shame to see Barnes miss out. Although last night he was only slightly better than the equally anonymous Tete

I cant remember the last time we scored the first goal :(. Seems it's inevitable we go one down, whoever we play. But you're right about other teams doing dark arts and time wasting should it happen.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He definitely won't help in the other teams box. I thought Evans was bad for wasting glaring chances but Souttar is unbelievably bad in front of goal. He genuinely could have 3 or 4 goals for us if he had any instinct infront of goal.

Defensively I imagine he would help from set pieces being the monster he is. That being said, I wouldn't have any interest in breaking up a partnership because I'm worried about Everton kicking the ball into our box.

His header led to the goal against Man City. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Did you not see Faes almost single handedly lose us the game in injury time with that bizarre run.

Faes has his strengths but in my opinion he is far too rash and erratic to be a regular starter (unless we go down). 

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

His header led to the goal against Man City. 

It certainly did, if opposition keepers are willing to palm all of his headers to one of our strikers then I'll change my mind on his attacking prowess :D