Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Everton Pre-Match

Having managed to get a late ticket, I'm actually quite looking forward to this one. Like many fans, I've been getting very apathetic over Rodgers' last two seasons, but now there feels like something of the old Leicester back again. Yes, it's far from perfect play at the moment and the club is in a bit of a mess heading for a difficult summer, but a relegation fight game under the lights is a lot more appealing than bumbling to the end of the season in a safe spot like we did last year. Obviously I would never have chosen this position, but we might as well make the most of the required late season adrenaline now it's here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MalletFox said:

I don’t care how we do it, but we must win!

After they play Newcastle tomorrow, they have:

Brighton (A)
Man C (H)
Wolves (A)
Bournemouth (H)

Best case scenario for them I think is 6pts against a Wolves team on the beach (wouldn’t be easy at Molineaux) and Bournemouth at home.

If Newcastle do the biz tomoz then we’d be 4pts clear of Everton if we beat them. We’d be there or there abouts with one more win after I think.

Newcastle still need wins to secure Europe. So I’d be stunned if they let it slip against Everton.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Barnes

Vardy

Maddison

Tielemans

Praet

Soumare

Kristiansen

Souyuncu

Faes

Castagne

Iversen

At times we struggled in our build up yesterday, we were overly reliant on individuals to make things happen like when Faes went on runs.

If Nacho is not available I would go with this, if available I would play him instead of Preat behind Vardy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If Nacho is not available I would go with this, if available I would play him instead of Preat behind Vardy

I’d be surprised if we see Kel again this season . That looked like a groin tear sadly 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm wondering if Deano will bring in his biggest and tallest players for this one, given Everton's style of play and the physicality of their midfield. When they beat Arsenal, they totally bullied Arsenal's midfield and dominated them at set pieces with their height. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilf and Souttar brought in. Not recommending this but it must be a consideration. We looked so vulnerable on high balls at Leeds and Everton are much stronger than Leeds on set pieces. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

I've been unable to attend many games this season due to personal circumstance and have relied on second hand feedback. Souttar seems to be absent in most peoples team, however from the bits ive seen hes been pretty solid and my friends rate him highly. Would he not be a wise choice for the Everton game? Given the inevitable tactics.

...do you mean a back 5!!!

That was a difficult formation which Rodgers seemed to struggle with. Either the wingbacks were too high up the pitch leaving our Centre backs exposed, or we were pressed and unable to get out of our penalty box never mind our half. We need the wins and also the confidence in the group going forward but we cannot win games in the opening 10 minutes of games.

Our composure seems to have been affected due to the situation that we are in, with forced passes being made, as a result of being anxious on the ball. We can be compact and play with a front 2 with a back 5 but I believe that is not a formation which Smith seeks to play.

• Like 1

Barnes Vardy Maddison

VK Youri Soumare Castagne

Cags Souttar Faes

Iverson

Think we need a physical presence against Everton who will try to bully us on set pieces

Edited by trooky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Have to be keeping a clear sheet here, they’ve scored 24 in 32. 

We haven’t kept a clean sheet since what? November in the league I think? 

Battle of the titans in our penalty box with them unable to score and us trying to let them 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I see this game as effectively deciding the outcome of this season. Anything less than 3 points will pretty much see us relegated. 

Definitely less than a win is a disaster in our Survival but like Greavsey said Footballs a funny old game, we’ve beaten and are very capable of beating all in our last few games Vards getting that goal could be just what he needed but I still think we’ll be fine I still believe we’ll survive the drop even if it’s on a goal difference I’d like it to be on 6 more points than 18th but if it has to be then goal difference it will be ! 🙏

On 25/04/2023 at 22:31, st albans fox said:

Dyche will be spending fri am till Sunday pm working on them after watching that last five minutes 

The usual way with his tactics are to hit long balls to the far post then headed back across the box. Burnley scored loads of goals that way.

2 hours ago, justfoxes said:

Definitely less than a win is a disaster in our Survival but like Greavsey said Footballs a funny old game, we’ve beaten and are very capable of beating all in our last few games Vards getting that goal could be just what he needed but I still think we’ll be fine I still believe we’ll survive the drop even if it’s on a goal difference I’d like it to be on 6 more points than 18th but if it has to be then goal difference it will be ! 🙏

I applaud your confidence and belief and wish I felt the same way. 

I’d be tempted by a 3-4-1-2 for this. Souttar would give us some height for a likely direct opponent.  Given how poor Tete is, and how anonymous Barnes was vs Leeds, we don’t really get weakened by having Timmy and VK as our wide options. Plus it gives us 2 up top, as - assuming Kels is out - neither Vards or Daka have impressed on their own up there this season. Finally, we will have had almost a week to finesse this in training. That’s an age these days. Long enough to be ready to go. 🤷

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

He probably will, I just don't think hes got the legs from the start and maybe better off the bench like against Leeds

He's a much better striker than Daka and a better character to have on the pitch. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of leaving our best available striker on the bench in a must-win game. We need to score first against Everton and then keep it that way, and Vardy offers our best chance of achieving that if Nacho is unavailable. As for his legs, I think he's just getting up to speed - he may just surprise us on that front...

Edited to say: I'm not saying Smith won't pick Vardy AND Daka - I think he might do that. But he won't pick Daka instead of Vardy.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1