Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

However, I will say that looking at the weather forecast right now, the draw seems the most likely result.

Even if they get a lead, I don't think there will be time for them to force a result (or, for that matter, England), unless Lyon has an absolute belter in the third innings - they've scored too slowly and if the forecast is to be believed this is likely going to be a four day match in total, not five.

Yeah, it’s going to be cut short by the looks of it and they are going to have to bat for some time to get any kind of declarable position. 

That said the weather and the wear and tear could make the pitch a far less favourable one for batsman.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yeah, it’s going to be cut short by the looks of it and they are going to have to bat for some time to get any kind of declarable position. 

That said the weather and the wear and tear could make the pitch a far less favourable one for batsman.

It's all going to come down to the England 2nd innings; I don't actually think it matters how many Aus score from here (unless they fall in a heap and concede a 50 run lead or something), they either make the runs now or they have to make them in the fourth innings chasing, so the time expenditure is the same. (Of course, it's much more pressure to chase a target than bat for a declaration, but the time elapsed should be roughly equal.)

Crucial day coming up.

12 hours ago, Bert said:

3. Missed a stumping and two catches. Confidently saying that Foakes makes at least 2/3. 

10 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Trouble with Bairstow is that you just know Foakes takes both of those chances.

I love that England are proactive and aggressive with the bat but you can't put a price on a solid keeper.

But who would you drop to accommodate Foakes?

I think the selection is about right and you take the hit with Bairstow keeping/Bairstow batting and the overall balance of the team. 

1 minute ago, Milo said:

I think the selection is about right and you take the hit with Bairstow keeping/Bairstow batting and the overall balance of the team. 

As above - I'd straight swap Crawley for Bairstow and Foakes in at no.7.

Can't see the downside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As above - I'd straight swap Crawley for Bairstow and Foakes in at no.7.

Can't see the downside.

I think Crawley fits far more into the current regime philosophy.

First ball of an Ashes series, twatting Cummins for 4, was a massive statement of intent and had the Aussies scurrying and worrying for the rest of the day. 

X factor players over sensible cricketers seems to be the current order of the day. 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

I think Crawley fits far more into the current regime philosophy.

First ball of an Ashes series, twatting Cummins for 4, was a massive statement of intent and had the Aussies scurrying and worrying for the rest of the day. 

X factor players over sensible cricketers seems to be the current order of the day. 

I would agree, though I'd say that Bairstow could crash Cummins through the covers for a boundary for four first ball as well as Crawley could - he's of an attacking mindset himself.

I don't agree that it'll be a draw at this stage. England will bat for 2/3 sessions max, so if there's 50-60 overs today, there'll still be more than enough time to get a finish in. 

Also Stokes is going to double down and declare in a ridiculous position again if the circumstances fit to see if the Aussies fancy it.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Of course that’s the biggest talking point and it’s hard to choose anyone. If anyone thought for arguments sake, I would probably go Mooen. Root can spin and Brook can throw in a few too, it seems. 

Either way, it’s not going to happen. 

45 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I don't agree that it'll be a draw at this stage. England will bat for 2/3 sessions max, so if there's 50-60 overs today, there'll still be more than enough time to get a finish in. 

Also Stokes is going to double down and declare in a ridiculous position again if the circumstances fit to see if the Aussies fancy it.

If love to agree but I can't see us taking 15 wickets.

It either plays out as a draw, or Stokes gambles and loses I fear.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Please, someone tell me the downside of Bairstow opening instead of Crawley and Foakes keeping.

Also, Aus seem to be having more than their fair share of the luck this morning, dropped catches or no.

You want him batting when the ball is old and not doing anything. But there's no reason why Pope couldn't open, he's often in after a couple of overs anyway.

Just now, Lionator said:

You want him batting when the ball is old and not doing anything. But there's no reason why Pope couldn't open, he's often in after a couple of overs anyway.

Honestly, I think he could take on the moving ball, as I have said previously, at worst he would be no worse than Crawley.