Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

How many can you get ?

Got 11/15.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66139215

28 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Probably missed the same ones as you. Shamefully didn't even have anyone in mind for the Bangladeshi player - and the 3rd NZ player didn't even occur to me as a batsman.

13/15, had no idea about one of the NZ ones and kicked myself when I missed the obvious India one.

13 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Can anybody who's played Cricket reassure me that the ball doing that to Root is a good thing for when we are trying to bowl them out?

Or does it mean it has absolutely nothing left in it already?

If it’s just the odd ball doing that it’s great for England, as it would indicate the wicket is becoming inconsistent. Stokes & Brooke had a couple that reared up too. 
Also, with a bit of rain/cloud about, floodlights on, the Aussies will be batting in bowler friendly conditions. Hopefully ! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Can anyone tell me why the cricket starts as late as 11am?

Its almost half way through the day 

I’ve always assumed it’s to allow morning dew to dry.

But it’s probably some relic from history, agreed as a time when gentlemen had had sufficient time for their substantial breakfast to digest, and to complete their ablutions!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I’ve always assumed it’s to allow morning dew to dry.

But it’s probably some relic from history, agreed as a time when gentlemen had had sufficient time for their substantial breakfast to digest, and to complete their ablutions!

Yeah I wondered if there was some daft tradition behind it.

11am gave their wives enough time to make them their breakfast without disturbing them at an ungodly hour

Just seems daft that a couple of hours play is wasted.

They start earlier if the previous days a washout, and they played later at Headingley in the last test too. But they’re both reactionary. Let’s have some foresight 

11 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeah I wondered if there was some daft tradition behind it.

11am gave their wives enough time to make them their breakfast without disturbing them at an ungodly hour

Just seems daft that a couple of hours play is wasted.

They start earlier if the previous days a washout, and they played later at Headingley in the last test too. But they’re both reactionary. Let’s have some foresight 

I think it's more down to giving spectators time to travel instead of them having to get early morning commuter public transport.

It also allows people to get there before play starts and get a few beers down their neck beforehand so there's the commercial aspect too I think.

I'm sure they tried earlier starts for tests in the past but it proved unpopular so they went back to 11am

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

What a day you've had!

I have been somewhat of a lucky boy to be honest lol

Saw us chase down and get the win on the Wester Terrace in beautiful Sunshine after a day of shit weather

Watched some seriously nice cricket shots and subsequent high scoring inning yesterday. After Tea felt a bit flat but you have to put that into perspective as it proceeded a ridiculous session. 

I have been saying all series that I really wanted to see a ZC ton as I think he deserves it and I nearly got a double in person. 

Only regret is that we didn;t really push on in the last session and based on weather I think we'll regret it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think it's more down to giving spectators time to travel instead of them having to get early morning commuter public transport.

It also allows people to get there before play starts and get a few beers down their neck beforehand so there's the commercial aspect too I think.

I'm sure they tried earlier starts for tests in the past but it proved unpopular so they went back to 11am

Funny how it’s ok for Sunderland to play away to QPR at 1245 on a Saturday though 

17 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I have been somewhat of a lucky boy to be honest lol

Saw us chase down and get the win on the Wester Terrace in beautiful Sunshine after a day of shit weather

Watched some seriously nice cricket shots and subsequent high scoring inning yesterday. After Tea felt a bit flat but you have to put that into perspective as it proceeded a ridiculous session. 

I have been saying all series that I really wanted to see a ZC ton as I think he deserves it and I nearly got a double in person. 

Only regret is that we didn;t really push on in the last session and based on weather I think we'll regret it. 

Yes - I genuinely thought Stokes and Brook would go berserk after tea. I think the bounce for Roots wicket spooked us. Great to see Zak playing as well as he can though. And Mo.

can see them going T20 style from about 11:20 this morning, wickets in hand and some good batters still to come. 

!50+ lead and then really test this pitch with the new ball. I expect they would want Aussies 2/3 down by lunch. 

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Something that wasn't intended. An play and a miss, inside edge, outside edge, playing a shot in the air by mistake. Things like that. Basically any time you'd had a bit of luck. 

Thanks, when I first saw it I wasnt sure if it was a dummy shot like a stepover in football then realised I dont nothing about cricket and how stupid that sounds lol