Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I do wonder what the reaction would have been if the shoe was on the other foot and we were the ones praying for rain.

There’s something unique about how the weather affects the long form of cricket and it’s always been a talking point.

Even though I’m pissed that the Aussies have retained the Ashes, the traditionalist in me says leave the test cricket rules and format exactly as they are.

Far too sensible. 

The overreactions are insane. We blew the ashes in the first two tests through recklessness. As long as we learn from it (looks like we already have), then there’s no shame. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I do wonder what the reaction would have been if the shoe was on the other foot and we were the ones praying for rain.

There’s something unique about how the weather affects the long form of cricket and it’s always been a talking point.

Even though I’m pissed that the Aussies have retained the Ashes, the traditionalist in me says leave the test cricket rules and format exactly as they are.

Probably but i think in the long term, i do think most teams would welcome change.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Agree. Working with the conditions you're dealt over the course of five days is part and parcel of the "Test" element of Test cricket. England did just that on the first three days and it made it all the more exciting, arguably because they knew what they had to do due to what was forecast. It was just a shame we couldn't capitalise on Saturday and that what should have been an exciting conclusion to the series is now a damp squib.

That said, Test cricket does need to get better at playing smart with bad weather - both by stopping pointless breaks like having tea on Saturday when we've already had almost four hours lost to weather, and by doing more to enforce quicker over rates.

Gutted the Ashes are gone but England should still be motivated by keeping up the record of the Aussies not winning a series in England for more than 20 years.

• Like 1

Interesting (to me anyway) that the thread on here for the last Ashes series had 39 pages and here we are with a test to go already on 124 pages for this series.

Says to me that despite all the issues, test cricket and the Ashes is alive and well and as popular as ever.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

There's no wondering, if the shoe was on the other foot we'd be absolutely cock-a-hoop and saying 'rules are rules' and things like that, obviously. The same would've been said if Bairstow cheekily stumped Carey, not the other way round, and we went on to win at Lords.

Cricket could do with some easy upgrades. We knew the rain was coming, play extra on Weds, Thurs and Fri. If the rain in fact doesn't come, shorten play on Sat and Sun. Have a single reserve day. Clear up the outfield quicker, get better drainage systems at test level grounds.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Far too sensible. 

The overreactions are insane. We blew the ashes in the first two tests through recklessness. As long as we learn from it (looks like we already have), then there’s no shame. 

Totally agree. We’d be lauding the weather if the shoe was on the other foot. Also remember the weather playing a part in 2005…. 

If we can beat them at the Oval, it stops them winning the series. So still plenty to play for. 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Glorious sunshine in my part of the North West this morning :rolleyes:

Obviously only saying this because we needed to win but there needs to be something in place for when you lose so much of a match to rain. 

Well that's not going to massively soften the blow any more :(

4 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I didn’t think I’d be arsed about the last test if the Aussies had retained but now I just want to win as it will really taint it for them. 

Taint what?

It really won't 'taint' anything. There's nothing to taint.

Australia will want to win the series if they can - just like England wanted to - and they'll be disappointed if they don't. Just like England will now want to draw the series if they can, and will be disappointed if they don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Totally agree. We’d be lauding the weather if the shoe was on the other foot. Also remember the weather playing a part in 2005….

And 2013.

And let's be honest given English weather, probably pretty much every Test series ever played in England, as well as loads played in other places.

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Cricket could do with some easy upgrades. We knew the rain was coming, play extra on Weds, Thurs and Fri. If the rain in fact doesn't come, shorten play on Sat and Sun. Have a single reserve day. Clear up the outfield quicker, get better drainage systems at test level grounds.

Bring back rest days!

Then at least you could play on that day if one of the earlier days was a washout.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Interesting (to me anyway) that the thread on here for the last Ashes series had 39 pages and here we are with a test to go already on 124 pages for this series.

Says to me that despite all the issues, test cricket and the Ashes is alive and well and as popular as ever.

Or because the hours of play here are 11pm-6am for away Ashes series and we got absolutely bummed from the first ball onwards  lol

Edited by ealingfox

We are all frustrated but I don't believe anyone wants to radically change things

They really should focus on getting more play in when the weather is fine and if this forces it then good will come of it.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can’t do anything about the weather but the taking of tea when they’ve sat around 80% of the day annoys me. Also said it for years but the lighting rules need adjusting for the modern day. 

I don’t agree with extra days here and there, but an extra hour or two is fine IMO. 

Was so pissed off when they were ordered to put the spinners on against one of the world's best batters. We're not bowling to a complete bunny in Div 8 (East) of the county league FFS.

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

I agree leave it to a point, I do think if the weather's fine on any given day and you haven't had 90 overs, they should at least make that happen. Was something brought up on TMS during the Lords test