Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

17 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

I agree leave it to a point, I do think if the weather's fine on any given day and you haven't had 90 overs, they should at least make that happen. Was something brought up on TMS during the Lords test 

I agree with the sentiment, but even this is tricky. How fair would it be if one team bowled their overs slowly early in the day, but was batting later in the day when the overs they didn't bowl had to be made up?  Then the other team's bowlers would have to knacker themselves bowling for an extra hour or two to make up overs their opponents hadn't bothered to bowl!

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Anyone prefer he way the womens ashes is played? 1 test, 3 ODI's and a T20.

No?  Just me?  Thought so.

I don't think it's a fair way to assess a series given the squads can be so different in the men's game, but I do think tours in each format should align in the way they used to. It's ridiculous that Australia seem to be here most summers for one series or another. Still, that's the Big Three stitch-up of world cricket for you...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I think it’s a great way to play a series. 
I love Test cricket, so maybe have 3 Tests, 3 ODI’s & 3 T20’s. For the men.

Edited by STEVIE B

22 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I’d be interested if they threw the men’s and women’s Ashes into one series with a points system deciding an overall winner. (Not that I want to put do you on ideas that will go down like a lead ballon with some people.)

Now they’re not amateurs I don’t know why they don’t have more women’s tests though.

35 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

1st days prediction - I think we will see Australia bat at some point today

I would have thought so. But if Australia keep catching like this we'll be fine. Regardless, I reckon we'll have a decent total.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I always fear the worst when i read that practically everyone one thought we'd thrash the aussies in this test.

People have very short memories! They presumably thought that because England walloped Australia in the last match, the same would happen in this one. Totally forgetting that England didn't wallop Australia in the earlier matches. To be fair, the first three tests were literally weeks ago. How's anyone supposed to remember stuff from way back then?

36 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I always fear the worst when i read that practically everyone thought we'd thrash the aussies in this test.

31 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

People have very short memories! They presumably thought that because England walloped Australia in the last match, the same would happen in this one. Totally forgetting that England didn't wallop Australia in the earlier matches. To be fair, the first three tests were literally weeks ago. How's anyone supposed to remember stuff from way back then?

I thought that and I still do. England have had all the momentum post-Headingley and I think it will see them through handsomely here. I guess we'll see, though. Brook certainly up for the fight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

How's the first session been? 

Hit and miss. Scoring well. Started well, until Duckett was caught down leg - then lost 3 for 11 rapidly. Recovered with Ali and particularly Brook. Aussies dropping catches.

• Like 1