Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It does matter if he's dislodged it without the ball in his hand first? 

Bairstow’s initial contact moved the stump but didn’t dislodge the bail. The third umpire’s decision was that the bail spigots hadn’t left the grooves before Smith made his ground after Bairstow had taken the ball which wasn’t the case. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The run out was out, clearly out, the bail was out of both middle and off stump. No wonder Smith has such a good average at the Oval, he’s had 4 lives. 

I was thinking when Bairstow wandering off the crease in the earlier test

5 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

I believe not - if he'd had the ball under control, by definition he wouldn't have dropped it.

You could see from his immediate reaction that he knew he'd messed up.

Yeah, and as per above, I think that reaction convicted him. If he'd gone around celebrating, then I think there may have been a different result.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How come England lost a review with the Stokes catch? 

I'm not entirely 100% on this, but I think LBW's involving umpires call are the only situations where a review can be retained under the current rules? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, and as per above, I think that reaction convicted him. If he'd gone around celebrating, then I think there may have been a different result.

I'm not entirely 100% on this, but I think LBW's involving umpires call are the only situations where a review can be retained under the current rules? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Correct. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the point is it should have been an umpire’s review rather than us doing it.

Correct. As soon as England appealed the catch, Joel Wilson should have reviewed it as an umpire review.

Can only imagine he thought that it missed Smith's glove and it came off his pad to leg slip?

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the point is it should have been an umpire’s review rather than us doing it.

From what I remember it was given not out on the field so we had to review, because Wilson thought he hadn't gloved it. The Stokes part was incidental until the replay.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Correct. As soon as England appealed the catch, Joel Wilson should have reviewed it as an umpire review.

Can only imagine he thought that it missed Smith's glove and it came off his pad to leg slip?

Yeah, he didn't think Smith gloved it, as per above. Was nothing to do with Stokes.

Starting to look like the series is probably just going to soggily peter out, ending as a bit of a damp squib...

Australia are unlikely to decide to chase 150 more in three hours play or so (maybe even less), so it's just whether England can take seven wickets in that time. Not impossible by any means, but a draw now looks quite likely...

• Like 1