Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

Just now, AKCJ said:

Well yeah but that's just hindisight.

The declaration didn't look daft on day 2 with Warner, Marnus and Smith out for about 60 odd.

But right now, after losing a test match it’s looks very questionable. 

Just now, Bert said:

But right now, after losing a test match it’s looks very questionable. 

But it came down to 7:23 on day 5 for Australia to win.

Any declaration looks daft when you lose but if you actually look at the merits of it I don't think you can argue too much. If you declare then you've got to take chances and get wickets and we fell short and for me Bairstow has to take responsibility.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Well yeah but that's just hindisight.

The declaration didn't look daft on day 2 with Warner, Marnus and Smith out for about 60 odd.

Yes, but those 3 wickets were taken on the following morning in overcast conditions not on the evening they declared. Should have batted until the close of play , especially with Root still in, then declared first thing. Could easily have got another 30/40 runs. Idiotic decision.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But it came down to 7:23 on day 5 for Australia to win.

Any declaration looks daft when you lose but if you actually look at the merits of it I don't think you can argue too much. If you declare then you've got to take chances and get wickets and we fell short and for me Bairstow has to take responsibility.

Agree regarding Bairstow. But ultimately, they’ve won with 2 wickets in hand with a 9th wicket stand of 55. The rate we score runs at suggest it still would’ve been in this position anyway. Plus factor in, we don’t have Crawley and Duckett batting under that horrible cloud. Not declaring changes the whole complexion of the game. They’re all moot points of course, though. 

Edited by Bert

Just now, Simmo86 said:

Yeah the missed chances cost us more than the declaration. Love to know how many more runs they scored off missed chances/wickets off no balls 

You’re looking 30+

1 minute ago, steve555 said:

Yes, but those 3 wickets were taken on the following morning in overcast conditions not on the evening they declared. Should have batted until the close of play , especially with Root still in, then declared first thing. Could easily have got another 30/40 runs. Idiotic decision.

Wasn’t guaranteed to score another 30/40 though was he. He could’ve been out 2 balls later and we would’ve declared anyway.

I don’t believe the declaration was the problem, we had batted ourselves into a winning position, our inability to bowl out Australia and in particular not being able to knock over the tail with over 50 runs to play with is what has cost us. Moeen’s injury and a woefully out of sorts Jimmy Anderson left us short of ideas and options right at the death. 

I really hope we continue with Bazball as it’s terrific entertainment and put us in a great position to win the test, massive credit to Australia who showed great character to get over the line. Was test cricket at its very best. 

• Like 2

I'm looking for an excuse admittedly, and I know adding 50ish runs on by pretending we didn't declare on day 1 doesn't go to say that the rest of the match will have played out the way that it did, but I think it's proven to be wrong and arrogant. Just screams "Look at us (or me), we do things differently". If we declared to take a couple of wickets in the 1st evening, well we didn't. If we batted to 450 and bowled at them on the next morning and didn't take early wickets, we'd have a lead of what we declared at anyway with the same number of wickets taken, so what's the point? 

I still feel eventually when teams suss us out and/or we have a bad few series', it's going to be a pretty painful watch

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Honestly think some people don't like cricket if they're criticising the approach.

It's high risk/ high reward. It stings losing but enjoy the ride, its magnificent cricket.

44 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Anyone still watching? I'm fairly sure this will be the first time someone disappears up their own arse live on tele. KP is just unbearable.

Every team he's played for ended up loathing him and you can see why.

11 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Honestly think some people don't like cricket if they're criticising the approach.

It's high risk/ high reward. It stings losing but enjoy the ride, its magnificent cricket.

Couldn't agree more.

Like it or not this Australia side are the best test team in the world for a reason, we went aggressive and it nearly paid off.

We can't match them over 5 days when it comes to "normal" test cricket so we have to mix it up and I'm all for it 

• Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

How was he perceived in the England team, at the time? 

Started off well but changed when he became captain. Ended really badly, didn't get on at all with Prior, Broad, Anderson and Swann in particular. Wasn't pleasant towards James Taylor in his brief career.

His kit was chucked over the balcony by his Notts team-mates.

There's a documentary about it on Sky Sports. KP a Genius I think it was called.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Started off well but changed when he became captain. Ended really badly, didn't get on at all with Prior, Broad, Anderson and Swann in particular. Wasn't pleasant towards James Taylor in his brief career.

There's a documentary about it on Sky Sports. KP a Genius I think it was called.

Lolz that reminded me of that parody twitter account KP genius.  

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not to forget his fall out with Strauss and those texts.  

• Like 1

I don't think you can have too many complaints about the batting approach, we got enough runs on the board to win, but we didn't quite have enough bowling weapons when it counted, especially with stokes fitness to bowl. 

I think wood will come into the next test, maybe for Anderson as he didn't have the best of tests and isn't fully fit.

But on another day, we don't drop as many chances!

Edited by StonyFox

A lot of what if’s but ultimately it’s two very equal sides, all of the games will be close. It is a game of fine margins and it was Khawaja and Cummins who kept their heads. But there’s no need overanalyse certain decisions. It’s a five match series and we go again! 

3 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Not to forget his fall out with Strauss and those texts.  

Elaborate! I know he's a fairly attritional character that loves the sound of his own voice, and only that, but what texts?! 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
21 minutes ago, Corky said:

Every team he's played for ended up loathing him and you can see why.

Ponting was worse. Straight in with "playing this way isn't sustainable".