Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

Whats wrong in taking a Bazball-selection approach & throw in those who would ask questions….

Crawly

Bairstow

Pope

Root

Stoke

Brook

Folkes(wkt)

Ahmed

Broad

Robinson

Wood…

Rest Anderson,for other wickets…

Root more bowling time.

maybe even Brook for split 12 overs.

Ahmed could be our secret Allrounder…

Let Bairstow concentrate on batting…

Folkes ups our game &  chances.

Stokes and Mac,have & clever enough to also look at what can be tweeked

On 23/06/2023 at 17:30, Chocolate Teapot said:

I mean he believes climate change is real which really upsets some people.

I don’t go to Greta for cricket advice. That’s kinda the point. 

37 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

Who cares? You can simply ignore him.

It's not as if your country wasn't a burning mess in 2020 where wildfires wiped out wildlife, many people were killed and livelihoods destroyed as a direct consequence of climate issues. Maybe he wants his country to still be liveable in 50 years. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Who cares? You can simply ignore him.

It's not as if your country wasn't a burning mess in 2020 where wildfires wiped out wildlife, many people were killed and livelihoods destroyed as a direct consequence of climate issues. Maybe he wants his country to still be liveable in 50 years. 

Nah, who cares about 50 years time...right?

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 hours ago, Fozdog said:

Stick to nothing then mate 👍 

32 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

Geez, touchy bunch when someone disagrees. 

OK, simmering down for a moment then...

I can see where people come from when they want sports players to stay in their lane - people often go in for sport as a method of escapism from other areas of their life, often including the very political topics mentioned.

However, sport doesn't exist in a vacuum and those sportspeople are still humans with their own viewpoints, and if we really want to be fair and magnanimous, their right to air their viewpoint should be as respected as any other individual with a platform, unless that viewpoint advocates for direct harm (again, the same as anyone else). And it's easy to confuse people wanting sportspeople not saying something about a matter with those who don't want to do anything about the matter at all, even if it is vital.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

OK, simmering down for a moment then...

I can see where people come from when they want sports players to stay in their lane - people often go in for sport as a method of escapism from other areas of their life, often including the very political topics mentioned.

However, sport doesn't exist in a vacuum and those sportspeople are still humans with their own viewpoints, and if we really want to be fair and magnanimous, their right to air their viewpoint should be as respected as any other individual with a platform, unless that viewpoint advocates for direct harm (again, the same as anyone else). And it's easy to confuse people wanting sportspeople not saying something about a matter with those who don't want to do anything about the matter at all, even if it is vital.

Fully agree and more to the point these big sports stars that are adored around the world with masses of social media followings can also help to get the right message across too. 

• Like 1

Tongue comes in for Ali. 

Can’t say I’m too surprised with the change,  although I would’ve preferred to see Woody instead of Tongue. Lords isn’t renowned for spinning and Mooen is obviously still carrying that injury that’s affecting his bowling. 

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

Tongue comes in for Ali. 

Can’t say I’m too surprised with the change,  although I would’ve preferred to see Woody instead of Tongue. Lords isn’t renowned for spinning and Mooen is obviously still carrying that injury that’s affecting his bowling. 

Doesnt tongue bowl around 90? Would have preferred wood too. But does provide something a little different to fast medium 

5 minutes ago, shilton_fox said:

Doesnt tongue bowl around 90? Would have preferred wood too. But does provide something a little different to fast medium 

I’m not too sure, to be honest. Part of me thinks he’s been thrown in on the back of his 5fer at Lords against Ireland. 

Guess they're going to rely upon weather conditions being favourable and it being a green top, then. Or Root holding up an end where needed.

Don't actually mind that all that much, it's not like we have any proven out and out spinner to use now anyway.

Got to be annoyed with that if you're Wood. Unless Tongue is a genuine all-rounder and he adds to the batting, especially without Moeen. 

I know plenty about Cricket but occasionally you don't know who a player is until they suddenly appear for England. Tongue is an example of that. 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Got to be annoyed with that if you're Wood. Unless Tongue is a genuine all-rounder and he adds to the batting, especially without Moeen. 

I know plenty about Cricket but occasionally you don't know who a player is until they suddenly appear for England. Tongue is an example of that. 

First class batting average of 13. Robinson will bat 8 I'm sure but it's a long tail.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, agreed, but I'm not sure what could be done to prevent that while maintaining balance tbh.

You could bring in Woakes to reinforce the batting but then it really would be a samey attack lol 

Or go for the extra batsmen or keeper in Foakes. But then it would mean Stokes to bowl more which he clearly doesn't want or isn't able to do. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

You could bring in Woakes to reinforce the batting but then it really would be a samey attack lol 

Or go for the extra batsmen or keeper in Foakes. But then it would mean Stokes to bowl more which he clearly doesn't want or isn't able to do. 

Right, there's drawbacks no matter what route is taken.

Let's just hope the green top plays in our favour tomorrow.

Got a really bad feeling about this one.

Australia were pretty average in that first test and still got the job done.

Even if it doesn't suit a spinner I'm sure Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc etc won't be complaining.

14 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Got a really bad feeling about this one.

Australia were pretty average in that first test and still got the job done.

Even if it doesn't suit a spinner I'm sure Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc etc won't be complaining.

Im with you, add to that Smith and Labuschagne only scored a combined 35 runs across 2 innings, I cant see us knocking them both off twice for a similar amount of runs again, hope I'm wrong of course

• Like 1