Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

18 minutes ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

I wonder how many runs that’ll want to set for us to chase. Wouldn’t surprise me if we chased down 400-500 lol

I'd be absolutely amazed if we chased down anything over 300, considering that's only been done once in a test at lord's, I think.

Edited by wardyfox86

5 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I'd be absolutely amazed if we chased down anything over 300, considering that's only been done once in a test at lord's, I think.

It was the same at Edgbaston until last summer when we chased 378. Just seems this team can go from one extreme to another, especially in this test. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

It was the same at Edgbaston until last summer when we chased 378. Just seems this team can go from one extreme to another, especially in this test. 

Stokes is being out thought. As has been widely reported, he wants to (and probably will) only play 1 way.

It's exciting, sure, and I'm happy to see it being played to a certain extent. But of he goes 2-0 down here chasing down a ridiculous score, then questions have to be asked. Sometimes you have to pick your battles to win a war. It's a 5 game series, don't go 2 down.

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

You could also argue that England have had the rub of the green by having the best of the conditions so far.

7 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We've literally won the toss, and had the weather all game. We've been pathetic, nothing short of that.

Fair to say.

Guess i just got frustrated at the 7435899th time the bat got beaten without finding an edge, or the ball did actually take the edge but dropped safe.

What irks me is this whole narrative that they are there to entertain, that the result doesn't matter. If they're winning, great. When they're losing, because of the the way they play it's probably never going to be pretty and somewhat self inflicted. I don't feel they're ever going to hold their hands up and admit they went about it wrong, and over time the lack of accountability is going to grate on people. 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So frustrating watching opposition test batsmen generally batting like test batsmen and not like they’re playing 20/20 

Good jinx :P

Khawaja out succumbing to Broad and the short ball. 

What does everyone think Aus will get to and possibly declare (if not all out)? Lead of 450-500? Probably got the freedom of batting today and most of tomorrow you'd think. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What does everyone think Aus will get to and possibly declare (if not all out)? Lead of 450-500? Probably got the freedom of batting today and most of tomorrow you'd think. 

This aged so well. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

That's bad from Jimmy 

Two in one innings by Jimmy !

smith being very un smith like there 

if we’re bowling short then need to bowl pretty straight to force them to play it 

tongue has that bit extra pace which means he can vary things and still rush the batsman. Broad has the height to get extra bounce, even below 85 mph 

Edited by st albans fox

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Oh hey, looks like it isn't just England who fall for the short ball trap.

Kuwaja isn’t comfortable against short pitch bowling 

smith was caught out by a ball that came onto him a bit quicker and bounced a bit higher 

Our batters seemed to just want to take on nearly every short ball which means that statistically they’ll come a cropper more quickly 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Kuwaja isn’t comfortable against short pitch bowling 

smith was caught out by a ball that came onto him a bit quicker and bounced a bit higher 

Our batters seemed to just want to take on nearly every short ball which means that statistically they’ll come a cropper more quickly 

Neither of them had to play at the ball though, as neither did the England players.

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

As a bit of a fair weather cricket fan can somebody answer me why it's difficult for batsmen to leave short, high balls? You know it's not hitting your stumps so surely you only have to worry about not getting any bat/glove on it

The desire to score runs. I noticed about after 30-40 mins of play, Khawaja and Smith seemed to get a bit bored and then wanted to get some bat on ball. Smith was playing quite comfortably so his wicket was out of the blue, not to mention how good he is generally. 

I don't think it's difficult, but ultimately they would need to add runs on to the scoreboard. They still generally seem to have more patience than the England batsmen. 

• Thanks 1