Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

England just have to persevere and persist now. Head looks really uncomfortable, and Green will get tempted. 

There's enough variety in the steamers to persist as well. Aggressive bowling will do England well here. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The desire to score runs. I noticed about after 30-40 mins of play, Khawaja and Smith seemed to get a bit bored and then wanted to get some bat on ball. Smith was playing quite comfortably so his wicket was out of the blue, not to mention how good he is generally. 

I don't think it's difficult, but ultimately they would need to add runs on to the scoreboard. They still generally seem to have more patience than the England batsmen. 

If imagine it's not a very sustainable bowling technique for a long period of time so I guess the key is to ride it out and tire the bowlers out 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

As a bit of a fair weather cricket fan can somebody answer me why it's difficult for batsmen to leave short, high balls? You know it's not hitting your stumps so surely you only have to worry about not getting any bat/glove on it

The new batsmen are doing that now 

but once you’ve got your eye in it’s tough to leave every ball - bowlers will soon get tired bashing every ball in short. I suppose the Aussies also want to win this game so once in and scoring they want to move the scoreboard on so they’ll have all tomorrow to bowl at us chasing 450.  Head is interesting as he doesn’t naturally go slowly so this forty mins pre lunch could be a chore for him 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

If imagine it's not a very sustainable bowling technique for a long period of time so I guess the key is to ride it out and tire the bowlers out 

Yep, definitely. It's why there was a bit of debate about England's tactic of Bazball. It's fine to do that, but then they weren't adapting properly or patiently to the short balls that Aus were throwing at them. And they got sucked in. They didn't seek to tire the bowlers out, but instead just wanted to score runs probably too frequently. 

It helps that England have 4 pacers. Tongue gives a bit of fizz too so a slightly different dimension. 

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Neither of them had to play at the ball though, as neither did the England players.

Kuwaja had tried to leave the previous ball and it struck him. That makes it more difficult to leave the next ball 

smith was just paddling it around the corner as he’d done with loads of balls this morning - it wasn’t an aggressive shot (which most of ours seemed to be) but the ball lifted and caught the top edge 

20 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

As a bit of a fair weather cricket fan can somebody answer me why it's difficult for batsmen to leave short, high balls? You know it's not hitting your stumps so surely you only have to worry about not getting any bat/glove on it

There’s two ways to avoid a short ball, swerve it or duck it, if you swerve it the bowler can follow you, if you duck it

you are relying on a consistent bounce. This wicket has an inconsistent bounce which means if you go down the

avoiding route you will have to wear a few.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

What do people think is the upper limit England can chase here? 370?

They don't really have many more runs to play with here.

344 is the record. 

Then after that is 282.

Australia probably lead of 400 in their sights? Will be one hell of a chase if it comes off, but not gonna happen! 

I guess Australia will just do the short ball tactic again... 

31 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

What do people think is the upper limit England can chase here? 370?

There is no upper limit for England these days!

But the ball's doing a bit so anything over 350 would be tricky to say the least, and the odds might already be against them...

31 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Even they got all out now without scoring another run the Aussies wouldn't still be favourites. 

Would take an astonishing innings from at least 2. Not impossible but the aussie bowlers would have to have a shocker.

I think your syntax might have failed you here...