Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I think we will win the series 3-2 now. 

I think that incident has made it more likely for us to do so, put it that way.

Of course, the Aussies are the best team in the world for a reason and they may well still do enough to master the atmosphere and the opposition for one match, but who knows?

Its Bairstow being a complete idiot and Australia pushing the line of sportsmanship to the limits.

Something like this will always happen when it's Bairstow vs Australia. I think its clever by Carey but I think I'd withdraw the appeal if I were captain.

I wouldn't want that to be the way I'd win but I don't think the Australians care.

How can they say the pope v New Zealand last season is equivalence ?  The New Zealand player is off balance and moves forward out of his crease as part of playing the shot and then runs a couple of paces down the track 

Bairstow has done this walking up the pitch after he considers the ball dead a few times. I accept that he’s out under the laws of the game. I still equate it to mankadding - actually at least when you mankad a non striker you’re stopping them gaining an advantage.  Imo, if Carey had an issue with him doing it then he should have spoken to the umpire or the player. 

maybe I’m just too old fashioned 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Find their celebrating of that wicket completely crass. Sums them up - all this waffle about them cleaning up their act, same as always. 

Yeah I do have a problem with them all surrounding Bairstow laughing their heads off. Just piss poor behaviour.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Even if they lose this one, I think England genuinely can win this series 3-2, barring bad weather for one or more of the games.

They've just shown the fire and they have the skill necessary, and the crowd will make every ground a noisepit because of what's just happened.

Which will unfortunately probably just have the same effect on Australia as opposing fans do (did?) on Vardy...

Just now, AKCJ said:

Its Bairstow being a complete idiot and Australia pushing the line of sportsmanship to the limits.

Something like this will always happen when it's Bairstow vs Australia. I think its clever by Carey but I think I'd withdraw the appeal if I were captain.

I wouldn't want that to be the way I'd win but I don't think the Australians care.

Yep, the ruthlessness of aussies comes to the fore.

1 minute ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Lotta fuss about not very much. It's not like they bowled underarm or anything.

It's the hypocrisy and the rather in-your-face use of the dark arts (as opposed to flat-out cheating) that has touched a nerve, I think.

But I really do think it could work in England's favour, if not this match, then the next three.

Just now, leicsmac said:

It's the hypocrisy and the rather in-your-face use of the dark arts (as opposed to flat-out cheating) that has touched a nerve, I think.

But I really do think it could work in England's favour, if not this match, then the next three.

Just said the exact same 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Yep, the ruthlessness of aussies comes to the fore.

As per earlier, if people are expecting the Aussies to not be ruthless cvnts, then they haven't been paying attention.

England need to answer like with like.

1 minute ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Which will unfortunately probably just have the same effect on Australia as opposing fans do (did?) on Vardy...

Well, they don't seem to be enjoying it right now. Imagine what less buttoned-up crowds will be like...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Twas my point, hence the underarm reference. But everyone's probably too young to know about that.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, they don't seem to be enjoying it right now. Imagine what less buttoned-up crowds will be like...

It's more Stokes sensationally winning the match by bludgeoning them all over the place that they're not enjoying, I fancy.

Edited by Sparrowhawk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Their recent meetings with India suggest otherwise. They played them on a string in recent series by standing up to them. 

5 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Twas my point, hence the underarm reference. But everyone's probably too young to know about that.

Well, I know of it, but yeah.

In any case, I think the anger is entirely justified and certainly useful.

3 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

It's more Stokes sensationally winning the match by bludgeoning them all over the place that they're not enjoying, I fancy.

And the crowd can help him a long a bit both here and elsewhere by providing an extra bit of adrenaline where needed.

Edit: And the Aussies are human - crowd pressure could end up forcing more mistakes from them.

Edited by leicsmac

The Sky commentators do really well to hide their bias and be impartial. But if that’s Bairstow stumping/running out Carey like that, the English side of the commentators would be saying how fantastic it is. 

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As per earlier, if people are expecting the Aussies to not be ruthless cvnts, then they haven't been paying attention.

England need to answer like with like.

I've mentioned it before that we arent ruthlessness enough, others seem to disagree, but this series so far leans towards my view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

The Sky commentators do really well to hide their bias and be impartial. But if that’s Bairstow stumping/running out Carey like that, the English side of the commentators would be saying how fantastic it is. 

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Lets not kid ourselves we'd all be loving it if we had done that to the aussies.

Absolutely and absolutely.

Instead, we hate the use of ethically dubious play. And that anger needs to be channeled and put to use.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I've mentioned it before that we arent ruthlessness enough, others seem to disagree, but this series so far leans towards my view.

Yep.

Maybe this is the spark that lights the fire. Maybe.